• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Hardcore Nintendo is Neglecting the Wii

C

Caleb, Of Asui

I'm a big fan of Nintendo and most of the series that have contributed to Super Smash Bros., so, naturally enough, I try to keep myself updated with all of the new releases in these series.

I just happened to noticed that all of the series that I keep up with, considering them to be the more "hardcore" series, seem to be neglecting the Wii and going for the DS instead. These include a lot of games like Pokemon: Platinum Version, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and, of course, Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

I think Spirit Tracks was the main thing that sparked this idea. I had been expecting the next Zelda game announced to be a Wii game, but Spirit Tracks turned out to be for DS. We haven't had very many new "hardcore" Wii games since the first few months after the Wii came out except for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, now about a year ago.

So, do you think Nintendo has decided that the Wii is not for hardcore gamers? Are any of the series like Zelda, Metroid, and Fire Emblem ever going to set foot on the Wii again?

Amelie

Air Dancer
I sure hope we get new Zelda and stuff for the wii. But your post does make me wonder. It has been a long long time since Zelda hit Wii and we have already have 2 Zeldas for DS. I sure hope Nintendo has not turned away from the Wii.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
Nintendo says they care about the fans that made them, but they don't. The top priority is to make as much money as possible, and they're using the casual crowd for just that. First they had a "kiddie" image, now it's a "casual" image. Well, I'm neither of those. I just don't like feeling Nintendo is giving off. They've pretty much lost me as a customer, except for Zelda. Not that it matters to them anyway.

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I really don't think they've neglected us, but I think we've all come to expect too much from them. I've heard that some people were disappointed that there wasn't a new Mario game annoucned at last year's E3, when Mario Galaxy only came out less than a year before!

When it comes to Zelda, we got Twilight Princess at the launch of the Wii. I would have liked to have heard of a new one at the last E3, but we didn't. Granted, it was a bit disappointing, but when you look at it, we only seem to get at most 2 Zelda titles per system.

Plus, it was 4 years between WW and TP, and it's only been 2.5 since TP to now.

Also, when you look at who's making the casual games, Nintendo themselves isn't cranking them out. 3rd party companies are. Granten, Nintendo is allowing these titles on their system, but they haven't shut down their own game making resources completely to produce these casual titles. Yes, they did make WiiSports, Play, Fit, and Music, but we still got Galaxy, TP, Brawl, and Mario Kart (I've never considered that just a casual game, or just a hardcore game.) We also got Metroid, which is a Nintendo brand, (granted, made by Retro Studios, but they had help from key Nintendo staff).

I expect more announcements at E3 for sure, but who knows what they'll present. They've seemed to hint already that this year will please the fans. I think we just have to sit tight and be patient. I don't think they'll ever abandon the hardcore crowd, but we have to realize that as technology advances, it takes longer to make the high-calibur games that we enjoy.

chrisbg99

OBEY THE FIST!
I think we'll be seeing what Nintendo has in store at E3.

Also I'm tired of the whole "Woe is me" whining from the so-called "hardcore". Get a grip on your life. Don't like it, get a 360 and drown your sorrows in the next big FPS that makes you feel like you have your big boy pants on.

Inflexus

ZDG's Prophet
If you are a hardcore gamer, Nintendo is only going to serve a purpose for the SSB series, some Mario titles, and Zelda, maybe Pokemon or FF Tactics, or something like that.

But all the Teen-Adult games for hardcore? Look torwards Microsoft and Sony. They have the answers.

It makes me angry because I want something where Nintendo gives me a legitimate, darker, more challenging style of game. Twilight Princess was good in this sense, but they need to give more in this category.

Hanyou

didn't build that
If you are a hardcore gamer, Nintendo is only going to serve a purpose for the SSB series, some Mario titles, and Zelda, maybe Pokemon or FF Tactics, or something like that.

What's "hardcore" supposed to mean? I keep hearing about Nintendo abandoning the "hardcore" crowd, but when I look to the DS, I see Castlevania, Contra, Mario...all the great franchises I'd suspect "hardcore" gamers ought to be eating up.

Frankly, the Nintendo DS is easily the best system since the Dreamcast. Along with tapping into a fantastic library of GBA games, which are also hardcore (see Golden Sun), it has allowed for a preservation of the golden age of gaming: 16-bit. That's right--it may be more powerful than the Nintendo 64, but it often plays like the Super Nintendo, and I see nothing wrong with that.

Meanwhile, on the Xbox 360 and Sony Playstation 3 you get franchise after franchise of FPS/action games--more than half of which are out (and better) on the PC anyway. Sure, you get the occasional classic-style exclusive gem like Tales of Vesperia or Little Big Planet, but these are so few and far between that the 360 and PS3 don't look that much better than the Wii. In fact, I'd gladly take Mario Galaxy over either of those games, as good as they look. But Farcry 2, Fallout 3, etc? I've got a PC that can handle them. Why should I get a 360 or a PS3?

Yes, Nintendo is motivated to make money. So are most companies. If they aren't you get something like Sega--a company that produced/licensed ingenious titles but was ruined by bad hardware ideas and terrible marketing. I don't want that to happen to Nintendo.

So quit yer whining, folks. Neither the Wii, nor the 360, nor the PS3 has many games that can hold a candle to the classics. The DS doesn't just beat the Wii in that regard--it trumps them all. I'm glad Nintendo's tapped in to a profitable demographic in the console market, which has long been a lost cause for gamers like me anyway.

Last edited:

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I think Inflexus and Hanyou have hit on a couple of key points here.

Somewhere along the way, the definition of a "Hardcore Gamer" came along, and then it immediately got misconstrued as to what it actually meant.

Nintendo has always provided the same "Hardcore" titles that everyone is clamouring for. They're even going so far as to bring back Punch-Out and Kid Icarus to the Wii, which haven't been seen in over 10 years. Even Metroid seemed to be a dead franchise during the N64 days, and now we've had 3 new titles in a 5 year gap.

Nintendo was never about Halo or countless survival horror titles and the like. I don't know why people would expect these titles when they were never part of the Nintendo brand to being with.

I hate topics like this.
People there is no such thing as hardcore games,and not hardcore games.There are just games,is it really important to label games?
Nintendo is a business,and they are trying to make money by making games that everyone will like.
Nintendo has always done this,but only lately have people been crying about this,people need to get over it,and realize that nothing has changed about Nintendo.

Amelie

Air Dancer
Do you want to know what a hard core games is to me? Is it gore? No. Is it violence or FPS? No Is it a challenge? YES

Oh wow there are castlevania titles all over the DS. Are they a challenge? NO

Not for me anyway. I dont care if they through Link in another game and call it Zelda something or other... if it is not a challenge like the old Zelda then I wont be quite as interested.

And I dont use the word HARD CORE. Who came up with that? I use the word "old school gamer"

Even though I am young... I still prefer the older nintendo title (anything before the GC mostly) because it is a CHALLENGE.. If a game is easy for me... I dont feel like a accomplished anything by finishing it...

Kybyrian

Okay.

1. Pokemon has always been on Portable game systems, the main series at least. They have spin-offs from the series however. They didn't only "neglect the Wii," they neglected every video gaming system that is not portable. They have games like Colosseum on Wii. None of the main series though... It would ruin the feel of Pokemon, I think. Pokemon stays relatively the same as far as gameplay and graphics go, and I don't think they want to change that.

2. Though I do agree with your point on Phantom Hourglass and then Spirit Tracks, but they aren't neglecting it by far. We have Twilight Princess, don't we? It isn't being neglected at all.

3. As for Kirby, well, Kirby isn't really a big hype any more, just something to point out. Kirby has switched on and off of Portables and really has no specific thing. For all we know, they will release a Kirby game on the Wii.

4. And why would you mention Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon? That was an original Fire Emblem game, which had the graphics that it has on the portable. It would be awkward having a game like that on the Wii, I would think. Portable is best for that. And we have Radiant Dawn on the Wii.

A lot of this stuff you mentioned is easily countered.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
I'm a big fan of Nintendo and most of the series that have contributed to Super Smash Bros., so, naturally enough, I try to keep myself updated with all of the new releases in these series.

I just happened to noticed that all of the series that I keep up with, considering them to be the more "hardcore" series, seem to be neglecting the Wii and going for the DS instead. These include a lot of games like Pokemon: Platinum Version, Kirby Super Star Ultra, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon, and, of course, Zelda: Spirit Tracks.

I think Spirit Tracks was the main thing that sparked this idea. I had been expecting the next Zelda game announced to be a Wii game, but Spirit Tracks turned out to be for DS. We haven't had very many new "hardcore" Wii games since the first few months after the Wii came out except for Super Smash Bros. Brawl, now about a year ago.

So, do you think Nintendo has decided that the Wii is not for hardcore gamers? Are any of the series like Zelda, Metroid, and Fire Emblem ever going to set foot on the Wii again?

I don't know what you understand with the definition of a "hardcore gamer" but what you describe is more like a nintendo fanboy kinda thing because you are talking about the DS and Wii and their first party games.

Hanyou pretty much took the words right out of my mouth.
And besides, with the current console genration, nintendo made with the wii a lot of 3th party games and most are them of exclusive. Especialy with Sega and Ubisoft.

So if you ask me, nintendo is balanced. They focus on their own first party games and from the other hand more third party game titles come to nintendo. And i will expect more at the next console gen.

C

CuMcL

Well, Nintendo has made games for their old fans this generation as well.

Mario Galaxy
Twilight Princess
Super Paper Mario
Metroid Prime 3
Wario Land: Shake It
Brawl

And the Mario team is confirmed to be working on a new title, plus we have Pikmin 3 coming eventually.

Now if we look at the "casual" games they've made for Wii:

Wii Sorts
Wii Fit
Wii Play
Wii Music

Plus Wii Sports Resort coming and the rumoured Wii Fit Plus.

The casual:core ratio isn't actually very uneven. There's no denying that Nintendo is focusing more on their new audience than before, but that's because, well, they didn't exist before. They still make games for their core as well, but of course now that they have a new audience they need slightly less focus on the old than before, to make games for both.

Also worth keeping in mind, Nintendo's new style these days is to not announce new games until they're close to being done (instead of like 5 years before), as to prevent Hype Backlash. So just because we don't really have any epic looking Wii games to look forward to currently, doesn't mean they aren't in production.

Of course, it doesn't mean they are either... But I like to be an optimist.

Four words, bro: Virtual Console and Metroid

Virtual Console makes me more giddy than a fat kid in a candy shop. I grew up mostly in the 21st century. I was born in the late 90s see. I've been introduced to the AVGN, who got me into retrogaming, and quite honestly, I owe him my life for hat. Had I not seen his videos, I wouldn't know anything about most NES games. Plus, the SMA series got me into the older Mario games, so that's how I first found out about the older games. I can honestly say, I love VC better than modern games. This also appealed to alot of other retrogamers, so I would definitely count that as hardcore.

Metroid has also been hardcore lately. Along with the VC releases, Metroid Prime Trilogy just came out which is an FPS collection for Wii. And Other M (which Ver-go-a-go-go can't wait for) is coming out on the Wii as well, and believe me, after 3 FPS games, I'd like a classic platformer with action, adventure, and puzzles. Other M is probably the most hardcore thing you'll see on the Wii. Don't forget the other titles shown at E3. NSMBW is most certainly hardcore. What about all the games that utilize the Wii remotes NES controller shape when turned 270 degrees? Those are pretty hardcore. I don't really think you're looking at the hardcore titles, you're just distracted by the onslaught of casual games on the Wii. Try to ignore those.

Metroid has also been hardcore lately. Along with the VC releases, Metroid Prime Trilogy just came out which is an FPS collection for Wii. And Other M (which Ver-go-a-go-go can't wait for) is coming out on the Wii as well, and believe me, after 3 FPS games, I'd like a classic platformer with action, adventure, and puzzles. Other M is probably the most hardcore thing you'll see on the Wii. Don't forget the other titles shown at E3. NSMBW is most certainly hardcore. What about all the games that utilize the Wii remotes NES controller shape when turned 270 degrees? Those are pretty hardcore. I don't really think you're looking at the hardcore titles, you're just distracted by the onslaught of casual games on the Wii. Try to ignore those.

I think now that E3 is over and done with, the thread had answered itself:

No, Nintendo is NOT neglecting the Wii at all. E3 proves this, with MASSIVE releases, and not just first party masterpieces either. But on the topic of first party, we have four huge mainstream titles coming out in late 09 and 10. Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy 2, Zelda Wii, and the one I'm personally the most hyped for right now, Metroid Other M. I really can't see a better way for Nintendo to express love for the Wii than by taking it's three biggest franchises and making so very impressive looking Wii games all in the course of a single year. It just doesn't get any better than that.

And Other M (which Ver-go-a-go-go can't wait for)

Haha, nice to see that the Samus-firing-a-missle-down-its-throat sig got some attention while it was up. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom