• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Hardcore" Gamers.

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
This one term I find completely ridiculous. It's impossible to be hardcore when you're a "gamer". People brag about being a hardcore gamer, but it's not really something to be proud of. You wouldn't tell a girl you like you're a hardcore gamer would you? If you were at a job interview, you wouldn't put down "Hardcore gamer" on your resume would you? It just makes no sense. Gaming is known to much of the public as something kids do. I don't really understand why it's something to be proud of. What do you guys think? Do you think it's physically possible to be a hardocre gamer? (note: i don't mean being hardcore, and a gamer. I mean them as a singular phrase.

Cuju

私はカウントダウンを実行します。
Remember, the amount of violence in the video games you play has nothing to do with the diameter of your testicles. If you play Call of Duty 24/7, you're just as manly as a middle aged woman who plays Farmville instead of working...

Last edited:
I've always understood a hardcore gamer to be a more serious gamer that cares about doing everything in a game, or trying to do their best. A casual gamer isn't going to care about getting 100% completion in a game, while a hardcore gamer would.

I consider a hardcore gamer to be someone who would devotes a lot of time to a single game and is open to playing many different games instead of just Call of Duty. I think the term is somewhat silly and prefer seasoned gamer.

I always interpreted the term "hardcore gamer" to be a personal choice one can make about their own identity. It could be referencing (like someone mentioned earlier) the idea of getting 100% completion of a game, or perhaps it has more to do with the number of hours devoted toward gaming in an average day. I consider myself a casual gamer. That being said, I am guilty of both of the aforementioned qualifications. I could easily spend a full day playing Animal Crossing, and I am also known to try and find every last heartpiece in every Zelda game. Despite having similar habits to so called "hardcore gamers," I do not associate myself with that term.

Basically, I think that the difference between "hardcore gamer" and "casual gamer" is the name they give themselves. A "hardcore gamer" writes that they are hardcore in their forum profiles, tells all their friends, and tells themselves when they look in the mirror each morning. A "casual gamer" is someone who likes video games, but has other priorities in life than labeling themselves on behalf of their entertainment choices.

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Well personally I like going against the crowd as much as possible. I take pride in calling myself weird, strange, etc. So for me, just the principle that many people look down on the concept of games, makes it brag-worthy in my book.

Having said that, I'm not a hardcore gamer myself. Gaming's definitely an interest and I enjoy spending time on it (I could talk about games to anyone), but I have other things that holds a higher interest - things that just like games also hold very little value among people in general (fanfic, vidding, etc).

As for what makes someone hardcore... it's hard to pin it down. I think time, devotion and general geekiness most definitely play a part in it, but it will be impossible to make a specific definition for it. I guess it all lay in the eyes of the beholder, really.

I have to disagree. I think casuals are people who just want to play quick games like Angry Birds and aren't actually all that interested in gaming.

This may seem a little harsh, but games like Call of Duty are some of the most casual games out there. I consider "hardcore" to be the type of games that require loads of dedication to complete. Games like Zelda and RPGs fall into this category. Call of Duty is one of those games where you pick it up anytime and just start a match randomly, shooting people with no goal in sight, except wining that particular match, which ultimately has no effect on the story. This makes it very similar to games like, say, Wii Sports. I am not trying to bash games like Call of Duty. In fact, I really enjoy Call of Duty. I just don't like when people call it "hardcore".

@Bradley Yeah, I agree but in many cases all casual gamers want is a quick burst of fun and there's nothing wrong with that. What gets men angry is when they say Angry Birds or Temple Run or Call of Duty is the best game ever. Being in a high school made completely out of preppy white kids, I deal with this every day and their ignorance is amazing.

I believe that "hardcore" and "casual" are extremely subjective terms which some hurt minority wishes to use to get more out of its sorry existence. There are people for whom playing videogames is a way of life (:lol:) and inventing such ridiculous distinctions allows them to feel better about themselves. They'll always be above that group of casual gamers playing mini and sports games. Disgusting ideology. :sick:

Personally, these terms use to denote the way people play and the games they play is pointless. Just leave people alone and allow them to play whatever titles they wish to.

I've been what could be considered a hardcore gamer off and on, however, I honestly haven't had too much time to play videogames as of late.

Also, in reference to a specific sentece of the OP, gaming is not something limited to kids. People of all ages partake in it as we have members on these forums ranging from age 11-40.

I agree completely. However, it's hard for me to think that way since everyone plays CoD at my school and thinks that they're 'hardcore'. But you're absoulutely right, people who play games shouldn't be divided into subcategories.

Onilink89

Nyanko Sensei
Apparently the definition of "hardcore gamer" has changed to "FPS consumers".

And the definition of "graphics" has changed to "HD"

Hardcore or not, a true gamer knows the "real" difference between a good game and a bad game. And how can you know that difference? By playing all types of games of course. You can't compare if you don't experience it.

So how can one proclaim himself as a "hardcore gamer" if they don't play other game genres. In fact IMO those people are not even "gamers" to begin with.
Such hypocrisy...

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
This one term I find completely ridiculous. It's impossible to be hardcore when you're a "gamer". People brag about being a hardcore gamer, but it's not really something to be proud of. You wouldn't tell a girl you like you're a hardcore gamer would you? If you were at a job interview, you wouldn't put down "Hardcore gamer" on your resume would you? It just makes no sense. Gaming is known to much of the public as something kids do. I don't really understand why it's something to be proud of. What do you guys think? Do you think it's physically possible to be a hardocre gamer? (note: i don't mean being hardcore, and a gamer. I mean them as a singular phrase.

What? None of what you just said makes sense. Being a "Hardcore Gamer" is something you are. It's like being funny. Are you gonna put that on your resume? No, because none of those are skills. You either are, or you're not. And what does it matter if the public sees video games as something childish? Does it make it anymore true?

Being a hardcore gamer means that you understand video games in their entirety and see it as more than just stupid fun and something that passes the time. It's something you dedicate yourself to. Those kids out there who play Call of Duty aren't even gamers. They just play games and like to slap a label on themselves and other idiots say "oh well, they must be gamers". It's not about the kind of games you play, or how much time you spend playing them. It's about understanding, appreciating, expanding, and of course, playing. Something deeper than just sitting down and saying "boom boom I kill you".

Last edited:
I say anyone who plays a wide variety of games and completes them the best they can is hardcore. I think that people who think that Call of Duty is the best game ever and use cheats/hacks to get to top prestige should just be considered retards. Then people who play games for short periods of time, just for fun are casual.

It isn't impossible to be a hardcore gamer, what makes it different from anything else? There are people who play games for a living. Seriously, check out the pro-gaming StarCraft community, it's massive in some counties, so massive that the gamers themselves have to be able to make between 200-300 actions a minute just to be able to compete on a decent level. That is something that is applicable in the real world, as it would be very helpful in a desk job to type quickly. These people also acquire rather huge pay checks, yet you call them childish.

And you wouldn't put it on your resume because of society thinking it is something that the lazy do. Many companies look for people who would "enjoy" the job on offer and they want dedication. So why not look at someone's dedication to other things that they enjoy like gaming? There are a lot of things in the gaming world that are extremely hard to achieve, yet people look over this because "it's just a game". I remember when there was an item released on World of Warcraft that only had one copy on each server. It wasn't a race to the finish for everyone because you needed a 25-man team to be dedicated to getting this, knowing that there was a strong chance that they wouldn't get it or someone else was the one selected to receive it. It shows great team work to still do that, and a lot of coordination under pressure. Obviously because it is a game though, that doesn't exist.

What? None of what you just said makes sense. Being a "Hardcore Gamer" is something you are. It's like being funny. Are you gonna put that on your resume? No, because none of those are skills.

This is something that I think is also quite correct.

I think that the illusion that playing a game is childish is just stupid. It would be like me saying that reading a book is childish because plenty of children read a book, and it takes even less effort than playing a game does. It isn't childish though, it's something everyone can do. It is also something that requires you to have a good imagination.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom