• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

"Hardcore" Gamers.

It depends on what a hardcore gamer is. It is just sad to tell girls youre a hardcore gamer. Few women thinks thats attractive. Im not a hardcore gamer, but I look at people in my class at hardcore gamers, because the only thing they do, is gaming. All they talk about is gaming. They dropped school when BF3 and MW3 came out. But you dont need to be a hardcore gamer just of shooting games. But what is really a hardcore gamer?

People that play call of duty and then say that they are hardcore make me laugh. I think a hardcore gamer is someone who either plays all genres of games or someone who competetively plays one game genre that takes a lot of time, practice, and skill to get good at ( ex: fighting games, starcraft etc.). Casual gamers are people who don't play on a regular basis and tend to play, for lack of a better word, "casual" games like angry birds, farmville and call of duty.

Hardcore gaming has nothing to do with shooters in my opinion. Hardcore gaming is when you are super talented at the game your playing for example: you could be playing mario. Just as long as you never get hurt once never die beat every level super fast and be playing for an extensive amount of time. This is what I consider a hardcore gamer. Playing a shooter is just the same as playing any other game, its just a different stype of gameplay is all it is.

Remember, the amount of violence in the video games you play has nothing to do with the diameter of your testicles. If you play Call of Duty 24/7, you're just as manly as a middle aged woman who plas Farmville instead of working...

This actually made my day :D

GoldenGengle64

A v ^ A v ^
This one term I find completely ridiculous. It's impossible to be hardcore when you're a "gamer". People brag about being a hardcore gamer, but it's not really something to be proud of. You wouldn't tell a girl you like you're a hardcore gamer would you? If you were at a job interview, you wouldn't put down "Hardcore gamer" on your resume would you? It just makes no sense. Gaming is known to much of the public as something kids do. I don't really understand why it's something to be proud of. What do you guys think? Do you think it's physically possible to be a hardocre gamer? (note: i don't mean being hardcore, and a gamer. I mean them as a singular phrase.

I agree with you. "Hardcore" gamer really is poor label. According to the dictionary, the word "hardcore" means: "the most active, committed, or doctrinaire members of a group or movement". If that is the case, then a hardcore gamer could just as much be an 8 year old girl obsessively playing some Barbie game on their DS as a 23 year old guy living in his parents basement playing Call of Duty whilst living on energy drinks and junk food. Unfortunately, most people don't seem to pick up on this and use the term "hardcore gamer" to describe anyone who plays grotesque, M-rated games semi-regularly.

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
To many saying that I said that games are childish, what I meant to say that is that many of the public label video games as something children do. I didn't mean this about people who get paid to play games, in which case, well, it's your job. I'm just trying to say that I don't think its something to be proud of if you consider yourself a "hardcore" gamer.

@Turo602 Isn't that what games are though? Something to pass time with and that you play for fun? (Unless you're getting paid for it in which to repeat myself, its a job).

im 27 and play games..if that makes me a child then...whatever... i guess im a child... i guess its a good thing i dont give a rats balls what you think about me.

and i WOULD put "plays games frequently" on a resume...if the job i was applying for had anything to do with me playing games

as far as girls go....seriously if a girl dosnt like you for what you do for fun then who cares (same goes for girls with guys...or if youre into the girl girl thing or boy boy thing whatever dosnt matter) why would you want to be around people who think what you do for fun is dumb or childish.

im 27 and play games..if that makes me a child then...whatever... i guess im a child... i guess its a good thing i dont give a rats balls what you think about me.

and i WOULD put "plays games frequently" on a resume...if the job i was applying for had anything to do with me playing games

as far as girls go....seriously if a girl dosnt like you for what you do for fun then who cares (same goes for girls with guys...or if youre into the girl girl thing or boy boy thing whatever dosnt matter) why would you want to be around people who think what you do for fun is dumb or childish.

this wasnt directed at Ganonslayr by the way.. im just sayin..who cares what people think in general

A point mentioned a couple times is that people who think they're hardcore sometimes just think that because they play M rated games. Whatever. That doesn't mean you're good at or put a lot of time into gaming, that just means you play violent games. It's true that many good new releases are rated M, but that's due to the fact that gamers like violence. Fact. But when they won't bat an eye at Zelda or Metroid because it isn't rated M, that just isn't right.

K

kbeinlnleydy

On Urbandictionary.com there are many definitions as to what people sterotype a hardcore gamer as. For me I think its just a title people think is cool and would use as bragging rights. Casual or hardcore it doesnt matter as long as your enjoying the game your playing.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
@Turo602 Isn't that what games are though? Something to pass time with and that you play for fun? (Unless you're getting paid for it in which to repeat myself, its a job).

Like I said, a gamer sees it as more than that, because it is. Developers don't put so much effort into making junk to pass the time. Maybe back then, but gaming has gotten more and more sophisticated since the 8-bit era. It's no different from a book or a movie.

And yes, being casual or "hardcore" is real. It's a description. You either fit the profile or you don't. It's just been raped with this new generation of idiots who play multiplayer games day in and day out.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
I understand if by "hardcore" they mean "frequent", but the term is just....... not.. very good to use.
I consider myself and many people on here, gamer's in general.
Some are frequent, some have played maybe one Zelda game.
We all vary on our experience.
Even though "hardcore" and apparently "casual" are not specific or correct terms to use, you can't really blame a person's ego; (or like I said, experience). I suppose, anyways....

Brodogs

Competitive TF2 Medic
It isn't impossible to be a hardcore gamer, what makes it different from anything else? There are people who play games for a living. Seriously, check out the pro-gaming StarCraft community, it's massive in some counties, so massive that the gamers themselves have to be able to make between 200-300 actions a minute just to be able to compete on a decent level. That is something that is applicable in the real world, as it would be very helpful in a desk job to type quickly. These people also acquire rather huge pay checks, yet you call them childish.

Correct. While I am certainly not the best gamer in the world, I have played different games at different levels. Here are some and how I would classify them (and the games I've played at different levels).

Professional: (None): Full sponsorship and income, ie Evil Geniuses (EG) sponsoring Idra in Starcraft 2. The sponsoring company often sends the players to LANs to represent them and compete.
Semi-Professional (Team Fortress 2): Some form of significant prize or monetary worth generated when played at a competitive level. Played online and won prizes at major LANs that I sold for cash.
Competitive (Quake Live, Pokemon, League of Legends, Starcraft 2): Playing seriously against other competitive players/teams in organised play.
Serious (Legend of Zelda, Portal, Age of Empires 2): Playing with a greater intensity than most, ie 100% clears, etc. Often players are restricted from playing at a higher level due to the nature of the game (may often find ways to take it further ie ranked speedruns).
Casual (Minecraft): Playing occasionally or simply for the fun of it, not taking the game too seriously.

I avoid the term 'hardcore' as while it may once have kept its intended meaning it has been warped by the crowd that we all know shames its name. For such gamers I leave them in casual. Let me know what you think (obviously there is overlap, ie a professional gamer is a competitive and serious gamer).

It should be noted that the type of gamer is not related to the type of game. Often people classify games such as Farmville as casual games but that does not mean all players of Farmville are casual gamers.

Last edited:
I'd say a hardcore gamer is someone who hords video games. Knows **** loads about videogame and plays a variety of games almost 24/7. My cousin put he was a hardcore gamer on a dating website and is now in a stable relationship ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom