• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Happy Mask Salesman

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
(I searched, and I'm curious as to why I couldn't find a thread dedicated to this guy...)

Anywho, I just finished playing OoT recently, and I must say that HMS is one of my favorite characters. He's such a mystery.

I was also wondering if maybe, just maybe, he was a Sheikah? I mean, he wears the same shade of purple clothing that both Sheik and Impa (OoT) wear, which seems to me to be a Sheikah trademark of sorts, and he just so happens to possess the Mask of Truth. Whenever you talk about the Mask of Truth with HMS, he mentions that it is passed down by the Sheikah. How else would he come to possess such a sacred relic? Of course, I know Link gets it in his possession and he isn't Sheikah, but he doesn't really own it, HMS still owns it, Link is technically only borrowing/renting it.

So, what do you think of HMS? Should he come back in future games?
Do you think he's a Sheikah, too?

Skull_Kid

Bugaboo!
(I searched, and I'm curious as to why I couldn't find a thread dedicated to this guy...)

Anywho, I just finished playing OoT recently, and I must say that HMS is one of my favorite characters. He's such a mystery.

I was also wondering if maybe, just maybe, he was a Sheikah? I mean, he wears the same shade of purple clothing that both Sheik and Impa (OoT) wear, which seems to me to be a Sheikah trademark of sorts, and he just so happens to possess the Mask of Truth. Whenever you talk about the Mask of Truth with HMS, he mentions that it is passed down by the Sheikah. How else would he come to possess such a sacred relic? Of course, I know Link gets it in his possession and he isn't Sheikah, but he doesn't really own it, HMS still owns it, Link is technically only borrowing/renting it.

So, what do you think of HMS? Should he come back in future games?
Do you think he's a Sheikah, too?

If you liked him in OoT, you'll love him in MM.
He is very mysterious, indeed, but I don't really think he is related to the Sheikah.
Also, keep in mind that he is able to freely travel between Hyrule and Termina(wich is a parallel dimension.).
I think he is more likely to be related to the Man of Smiles from PH.
Also, I always wondered what happened to both Termina and the Happy Mask shop in the Adult portion of OoT and adultime timeline

F

FalseDestiny

I agree with Skull_Kid that he isn't related to the Sheikah and has the ablility to travel between Termina and Hyrule.
I did think that he was a little more creepy in MM than he was in OoT
But if you are serious about him being a favorite character well then the MM version of him you will definitely like.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
I've played MM lots of times... why does no one believe me? lol
He put on such a great performance in MM.

And why can't he be Sheikah?

I don't see why the fact he travelled to Termina can be used as a reason for him not to be a sheikah, for me that could work the opposite way, hahah, after all being a parallel dimension and all.

Though, myself I never even considered it, hahah.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
The only solid reason you have to think he is a Shiekah is the Mask of Truth. You wonder how he got it if he isn't a Shiekah.

Keep in mind that he somehow acquired a lost mask of great evil power (Majora's Mask) so i don't think that him finding a mask of truth could have been any harder than finding Majora's Mask.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Right, but he's also very mysterious; apparently another common Sheikah trait.

While that may be somewhat of a weak comparison, he also wears the EXACT same texture and shade of shiny purple clothing that both Impa and Sheik wear in OoT. You don't see anyone else wearing that kind of clothing in OoT. To me, that sort of implies an indication to a common clan. (Sort of like how Bloods wear red, Cryps wear blue, Latin Kings wear yellow, etc, etc.)

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
Right, but he's also very mysterious; apparently another common Sheikah trait.

While that may be somewhat of a weak comparison, he also wears the EXACT same texture and shade of shiny purple clothing that both Impa and Sheik wear in OoT. You don't see anyone else wearing that kind of clothing in OoT. To me, that sort of implies an indication to a common clan. (Sort of like how Bloods wear red, Cryps wear blue, Latin Kings wear yellow, etc, etc.)

I think youre looking way too much into an insignificant character. The only two games that he has been in is OoT and MM and neither game hints to him being a Shiekah (except for the purple clothes and the mask, as you say). If he was a Shiekah then it would have been made obvious seeing as how they have not used the HMS since those games. The purple clothing is probably just a representation of him as a weird, strange character because his clothing is not normal.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
Lol. So what if I'm looking too deeply into a minor character? Like people don't discuss even less significant denizens of Hyrule on this site. I saw a thread open recently comparing the dude you knock out of a tree in MM to the postman-to-be on Dragonroost Island in WW. If we aren't going to discuss the little things, then we're only left with the grotesquely over-discussed topics. Let's live a little.

Anywho, I also remember that I read somewhere that Sheikah have red retinae. Well, I Googled some images of HMS, and I finally found a picture of his eyes. He... really only has pupils, but the whites of his eyes are somewhat red in hue. This may not mean much, since he only opens his eyes when he's angry, and thus are likely to just be bloodshot due to whatever current aggrivating situation he is in, but it is an interesting tidbit.

I don't think it is a theory to dismiss just because whatever clues are there to relate are considered 'insignificant', they are still there. In every theory we are all the judge about the weight we give to things. I like the idea to vary it a little from the over discussed matters.

Myself, I'm going to check this character next time I play around having this in mind.

On a last note, I don't think this guy belonged to the ancient tribe he was talking about just because he somehow found the cursed Mask, which in turns allow me to see how it works to see than him having such a mask doesn't necessarily means he is a Sheikah. But again that varies with each one.

DvSag

The Void in the Triforce
While it's true that none of this is concrete evidence, it does all generally point in that single direction.

And the tribe, at that time, is not so ancient. In OoT Impa was still around, and young. I'd say the Sheikah may probably have still been thriving steadily during OoT, and have only begun to start dying out now in TP where only Impaz is around, living alone in Old Kakariko.

Hachi

Happy Valentines Day!
Happy mask salesmen is definally not a minor character. >: Those jokers in the castle market are minor characters. HMS was importaint enough to get into a second game and in transition became a rather significant figure in MM. He acts suspicious enough in OoT to be memorable, and it makes him all the more mysterious when you meet up in with him in no other than Termina... a culture that revolves around masks.

Which right there makes me think he was originally from Termina to begin with- That isn't saying however that he couldn't of had ancestors that migrated there. In fact, if you want to argue that he was a Sheikah, you could say that his kin moved from Hyrule to escape the Royal family after their betrayal of the Sheikah.

The whole problem with this argument is that it's all strictly speculation, but as you said: That's the whole point of a Zelda forum, to sweat the little things. c:

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
We really can't dismiss the fact that he may be a Shiekah, because we know so little about them. We don't know if the can hide their identities or not. So it could be possible that he's using some sort of magic to change his eye color.

On the other hand, the theory that he's from Termina is far more plausible. He's very cheerful, like some Terminians, and he's obsessed with masks. Also, adding that he has the Mask of Truth to the "he's a Sheikah" list is a bold thing to do. It's already been mentioned but, if he could get his hands on the infamous Majora's Mask, then I'm sure he'd have no trouble obtaining the Mask of Truth.

G

Gannypoo

Here is something how old is HMS? We don't know he could have been traveling for hundreds of years. In that time he could come across lots of masks with with power. Not just the mask of truth and Majora's Mask.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
We really can't dismiss the fact that he may be a Shiekah, because we know so little about them. We don't know if the can hide their identities or not. So it could be possible that he's using some sort of magic to change his eye color.

Again, I think this goes into the realm of thinking too much about an insignificant character.

Here is what we know about the HMS.

1. He sells, finds, lends masks.
2. He's strange, and if I recall, Zelda/Shiek and Impa are not strange/quirky people. I feel as though the Shiekah would be/are a very serious race/clan of people.
3. He found Majora's Mask. We have no idea how he did this as it is an extremely powerful mask and he seems like a pretty powerless being (except for being able to heal Link from the abilities of certain masks). If he can find Majora's Mask without being an all powerful being, then I think he would have no problem finding the mask of truth which seems to be one of the main arguments brought up.

On the other hand, the theory that he's from Termina is far more plausible. He's very cheerful, like some Terminians, and he's obsessed with masks. Also, adding that he has the Mask of Truth to the "he's a Sheikah" list is a bold thing to do. It's already been mentioned but, if he could get his hands on the infamous Majora's Mask, then I'm sure he'd have no trouble obtaining the Mask of Truth.

Exactly.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom