• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Happy Mask Salesman, Ghost Theory

I first want to say that a Youtuber named OliMarMer, his theory is gonna come in,
kind of. So, we should all know that Majora's Mask is a strange game. If you haven't
played it yet, I suggest you do after you play Ocarina of Time. They're kind of, parallel
and connected in away. Anyways, we all should know about the giant moon falling on Termina
and everyone will die. Well, before you know this, Skull Kid takes your ocarina, you chase
him, then you get turn into a Deku Scrub, and so on. So then, then you meet my favorite
character, the Happy Mask Salesman... (DUN, DUN, DUUUUN. Yes, he is my favorite character,
don't make fun of me.) You meet him, and you notice, he moves awkwardly, and just plain,
weirdly. Some people say it's a glitch in the game, and I can understand that, but it
was made in the 21st centry, so it doesn't count. I, and several other people, believe he
is a ghost...

I know that is hard to believe that he a ghost, but there is hard solid proof. (WARNING:
The following is another persons theory, OliMarMer's theory) Oli says he can go through
other demension, cause of getting his Mario mask. (Though I believe that is just an
easter egg) But, he could of died 2 of 2 ways. (This is my theory now) First way, after pulling the Master Sword
from the Temple of Time, Ganondorf could of killed him, cause his shop is obviously tore up
and destroyed. Then, his spirit could of walked towards Termina, then Skull Kid could of saw
the Mask Salesman spirit, and some how stoll Majora's Mask. I do know there are ways to
argure with tis theory, cause he could of ran off before Ganondorf attacked. So, I wanna
hear what you guys think, but before that, want you to listen to the other way he could of
died.

This other way is another way the Mask Salesman could of died. This is the other
way. I said a second ago that he could of escaped before Ganondorf attacked. Well, if he
did, he could of gotten killed by Skull Kid when he stoll Majora's Mask. Though it is
possible to argue with this, because did Skull Kid kill you when he stoll the ocarina,
no. But are you more fragil than the Happy Mask Salesman, nope. So, I bet he got killed
by Skull Kid.

I know that is hard to believe that he a ghost, but there is hard solid proof. (WARNING:
The following is another persons theory, OliMarMer's theory) Oli says he can go through
other demension, cause of getting his Mario mask. (Though I believe that is just an
easter egg) But, he could of died 2 of 2 ways. (This is my theory now) First way, after pulling the Master Sword
from the Temple of Time, Ganondorf could of killed him, cause his shop is obviously tore up
and destroyed. Then, his spirit could of walked towards Termina, then Skull Kid could of saw
the Mask Salesman spirit, and some how stoll Majora's Mask. I do know there are ways to
argure with tis theory, cause he could of ran off before Ganondorf attacked. So, I wanna
hear what you guys think, but before that, want you to listen to the other way he could of
died.

Majora's Mask took place on the Child Timeline. After defeating Ganondorf, Zelda returns Link to BEFORE the first time they met, and he warns her that her prophecies are true. Thus, before Majora's Mask, Ganondorf never rose to power, Market Town and Hyrule Castle weren't destroyed, and the Happy Mask Salesman wouldn't have been killed.

I'm an idiot. I actually never thought of that... Crap. Well, now because you corrected me, I can redo it another time. (This was a good correction)

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I actually have heard a theory like this before and i would too argue to an extent that the Happy Mask Salesman is in fact a ghost/spirit...

The sudden movements as you mentioned seem intentional as if he is in a way making small teleportations, whatever action that he is doing it doesn't seem natural by any means. Another note would be that during the first cut scene when you meet him you walk past where he is meant to be and suddenly he appears as if from thin air as does his piano. The fact that he teaches Link the song of healing means that he knows the song himself, which may indicate that he has been trying to heal himself. One more point in favor of this theory would be that during the final cut scenes the Happy Mask Salesman is seen but then suddenly he vanishes. Overall I think its very possible that the Happy Mask Salesman could be a ghost/spirit however he is very different from his Hylian counterpart which could indicate that the two are not connected. One theory I have in mind that the Happy Mask Salesman is a spirit that is sent to help out Link in the game, inform him of the dangers of the mask and teach him the song of healing (a key song in the game).

Last edited:

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
The sudden movements as you mentioned seem intentional as if he is in a way making small teleportations, whatever action that he is doing it doesn't seem natural by any means.
I think I remember Link doing that at some point in the game too. Was it when he was first transformed into a Deku Scrub maybe? Regardless, it's just a stylistic way of showing that he's freaking out (iirc).

The fact that he teaches Link the song of healing means that he knows the song himself, which may indicate that he has been trying to heal himself.
Yet he didn't ask Link to play it for him.

One more point in favor of this theory would be that during the final cut scenes the Happy Mask Salesman is seen but then suddenly he vanishes.
Another stylistic choice I believe.

I had always felt it was more that the Happy Mask Salesman is a lesser diety of some sort. On the same level as Valoo and Jabun sort of. His actions and his wise observations seems to point that he championed Link to receive Majora's Mask and prevent Termina's fall. He is the first thing you hear when you allow the Three Days to pass (and I can't recall if his mocking laughter can be heard when "You've met a terrible fate. Haven't you?" shows up) as if he somehow saved Link from this and allowed him his chance to try again. Why can't the Happy Mask Salesman just do it himself if he is so powerful? Maybe because he realized that his manner of retrieval would be lacking in all but the essential portions (waking the Giants, and retrieving Majora's Mask) where he sees Link (knowing of the portion of his Childhood deeds and knowing that he's a good Mask Salesman in any case.) as the means to not only saving Termina but to also helping the people around him in a way that he knew he could not.

There's also the theory that he may be a powerful Shiekah who uses his powers and vast knowledge to assist Link.

This is actually a very cool theory, and not trying to destroy it anymore.
But what makes you think he is dead other than his strange movements?
(Perhaps I could have missed something in the article)

I had always felt it was more that the Happy Mask Salesman is a lesser diety of some sort. On the same level as Valoo and Jabun sort of. His actions and his wise observations seems to point that he championed Link to receive Majora's Mask and prevent Termina's fall. He is the first thing you hear when you allow the Three Days to pass (and I can't recall if his mocking laughter can be heard when "You've met a terrible fate. Haven't you?" shows up) as if he somehow saved Link from this and allowed him his chance to try again. Why can't the Happy Mask Salesman just do it himself if he is so powerful? Maybe because he realized that his manner of retrieval would be lacking in all but the essential portions (waking the Giants, and retrieving Majora's Mask) where he sees Link (knowing of the portion of his Childhood deeds and knowing that he's a good Mask Salesman in any case.) as the means to not only saving Termina but to also helping the people around him in a way that he knew he could not.

There's also the theory that he may be a powerful Shiekah who uses his powers and vast knowledge to assist Link.

Well, the Mask Salesman may have not did it himself, because he may have known that Link was the hero himself, but wanted proof that he was the hero. So, he asked him to do it, for the proof he was the hero. But I do agree with your theory why he doesn't want do it. But you know, these are all theories, not true, or approved by Nintendo or anything.

earlynovfan, maybe I didn't put everything that I needed to put in there to make it clear why I believe he is a ghost, but it more interested me to figure if he was. I first really never looked into why he was moving and disappearing when I first play MM. Then one day, I was just wantin' to watch some Zelda videos, and I came across a MM theory. It poured a little touch of the Salesman being a ghost. So I investigated, and found things out. Now, I really want you guys to understand what I am saying and everything, and it's hard to do thru typing and stuff like this. So, I am going to try to do something on ZTalk. I may mention you guys on there so yeah. Hope you guys will listen to ZTalk in like June or July. (That's probably when I will actually be on there, LOL)

I think the Happy Mask Salesman is possibly one of my favourite video game characters ever. I've had wet dreams about the guy. Srs. Unfortunately I've never been able to come up with a solid opinion or idea by myself. Yep. He's that mysterious.

Ghost sounds like a good idea, and it actually makes a lot of sense. I REALLY like what justac00lguy said, too.

The HMS is a salesman, who both travels and sets up shop. Maybe he's on his own journey or quest or something - we don't know what it is, but it has to be something. Either that or he's some sort of deity? Not strong enough in the physical sense like the Fierce Deity or the Sages, but perhaps the magical kind. Maybe he's the type of guy who likes to toy with the others around him as if they're pawns on a chessboard or something? Or maybe he really IS just some middle-aged man trying to make a living from selling masks.

But I don't know. That's just it. I don't know. That's why I like him so much. Of course in a way I wish that we did have all the answers about him, his backstory, etc., but I think that'd completely ruin one of the most mysterious fictional characters I know.

What I do know is those masks better be clean and not all sweaty and covered in germs or some ****. Smh.

F

FeirceDeityLink

hms is actually sheikah and interloper. in oot he has the mask of truth which is a sheikah heirloom. his eyes are red as the twili when he shows his eyes and it explains his powers which are combined by his ancesters which explains his interlopeing abilities teleportation and abitlity to make link come back and make a piano appere with knowledge of bolth. necause of his interloping he rembers his time travle. hms has a counter part whom is the mayor who is unaware of his abilities and his son kafe knows that link is good without a blink of an eye. kafe is also suppost to be links counter. which explains his apperance of his mom yet no counter of her and kafes bavery commitment and sklls. that makes hms links dad which explains links interloping because he was stripped of his deeds is not really the hero of time and in oot dkutree never syas who is links father qnd tp links power to interlope too. malon s obviusly tp links mom and oot link is his dad because one malon is always happy around link yet talon says she is usaully mad and she tells link eponas song and is even happier with the fact that epona likes link and talon offers malons hand in marrage. and any other girl that is intersted becomrs a sage except malon. which covers tp links interlopeing and not being ghostly in the twili because hes an Interloper and heros shade is also oot link because he says my son alot qnd in oot the guy who is in the forest on a tree gives you a mushroom to take to a potion lady and when link returns there is girl kokiri tht says the guy is being turned into a stalfoe yet kids who are lost in the lost woods become skull kids yet adults become stalfoes and oot link was looking for navi in mm and the perfect place to look is the kokiri forest yet sh wasnt there so he looked in the lost woods and became lost and became a stalfoe.

Keeseman

Smash is Life
Since Termina only exists in Link's mind (as HH states), I theorize that Link could have subconsciously created the Terminian counterpart of the Happy Mask Salesman to be a ghost/spirit/creep. Even though he's not a bad guy, Link was afraid of him and his creepy grin, and in his subconscious, Link thought he was not really a human and rather... otherworldly.

Because when I was ten, that guy would have creeped the hell out of me.

Relevant:
_not_so__happy_mask_shop_by_neohim-d5ffq74.jpg

Dark Lord Ganon

Evil Being of Darkness
I have a theory on him: I think the Fierce Diety is the God of the missing middle triforce piece. I also believe that the Fierce Diety was trapped inside a hollow and horrific shell. That shell is the body of the Happy Mask Salesman. Think about it: could the skull kid have just plain stolen Majoras Mask? I think not. The Skull Kid probably KILLED the Happy Mask man. Meanwhile, the Fierce Diety was being put to justice by the Golden Goddesses. The Fierce Dietys body was transformed into a mask. The Spirit then went looking for a body he could use and get the mask with. When he found The Happy Mask Salesman, it seemed perfect. He could not look strange looking for masks if he looks like a mask salesman. But, one thought from the mask man was left in his body: He wanted Majoras Mask back. So, instead of getting it himself, he got a small boy to do it for him. and that is where the story of Majoras Mask picks up.

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
This is a good theory, but I just don't think he's a ghost. I think he's a weird man with a weird hobby. Maybe he's not a Hylian/human? He strikes me as a kind of Willy Wonka character.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I believe that he's just an evil entity. Not quite a supernatural being, but a being with great power. He collects masks that can carry souls, knows a song that can separate these souls, and when he gets Majora's Mask back, he sounds disappointed when he says...
HMS.jpg
Why would he be disappointed that the pure evil from the mask has gone unless he had some sort of connection with it?

This, along with his extended knowledge of the tribe that performed rituals with the mask leads me to believe that he could be a part of this tribe. The part in the Moon with the five children also makes me feel that he is a part of this tribe, as all of the children resemble him and talk of how they want to be mask salesmen. The fact that the lonely child is wearing Majora's Mask shows a link between this tribe and the Happy Mask Salesman.

I know that there are other theories surrounding the evil mask being linked to the Twili, and that is also plausible; but I think that because the Twilight is linked more to Hyrule than Termina, then Majora's Mask may be Termina's alternative to the Fused Shadow, and the Twili being the alternate tribe to the one referenced in Majora's Mask.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom