• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

MM-3DS Happy Mask Salesman... Evil or Not?

Majoras-Light

Gatekeeper
Okay, so I've had a few debates on this topic and have pondered the question for quite a while...

Is the Happy Mask Salesman genuinely evil?

Okay, hear me out. First off, the guy has some freaky powers, i.e. making an organ spawn out of air. So, right off the bat, we know this guy is kinda weird. Second, he does seem to throw some amusement into the famous catchphrase : "You've met with a terrible fate, haven't you?"

Honestly, this statement accompanied by his laugh... C'mon, the guy really sounds evil.

Lastly, in the manga, near the end, the Happy Mask Salesman gets the mask back, and says he'll have no further business...

In this world.

What is that supposed to mean? Like, I'm genuinely convinced this guy is a cult leader of some sort.

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
He is a bit odd, I agree. I can see him being a cult leader. Maybe even connected to the dark tribe that had Majora's Mask? An outcast of them or something? Because how would he know so much about the mask and its powers, and the tribe, when nobody else in Termina even mentions those things as far as I know. Correct me if I'm wrong and someone does. MM's time gimmick makes me want to pull my hair out...

But I don't think he's necessarily evil. Mental, yes...evil, idk....

Majoras-Light

Gatekeeper
I understand that. I feel like mental could be a fantastic word to describe him...

I just think the way he carries himself and the certain air he has... I interpreted that as evil. But I agree with you as well.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
He is both evil and insane. Someone who looks similar to him appears in he opening of SS, on the side of Demise. I imagine he is a member of the dark tribe mentioned in MM and numerous other games in the series. He clearly wants Majoras Mask for sinister purposes.

Evil... is a bit of an odd term.

I mean, essentially, what is evil? It's difficult to define, and the general conception of it as a trait, a characteristic, as though "evil" is a driving force behind our actions, isn't very substantial. I mean, no infamous historical figure-- and please, let's not start a war over this-- has ever committed a crime, even a war crime, with the intent of being evil. Maybe they wanted power, maybe they were simply a sadist, perhaps they weren't mentally stable, they may have had extreme, irrational views and fears, and in the end, they're a terrible person either way, but I'd argue that "evil," in and of itself, doesn't truly exist.

As such, you'd have to find what exactly makes the HMS "evil" before you can simply say that he is. In my opinion, what led him to be necessarily "evil" is far more relevant than whether he truly is or not. That said, I mean... yes, the HMS is a weird guy, and I assume that's what you meant by "evil"--having a maliciousness beyond what he intentionally displays. Still, even in that case, I'd argue no.

But don't get me wrong-- I certainly agree that the HMS has a terribly cruel side to him, though not in a way that makes him "evil." Firstly, I'd like to point out something central to his character-- masks; see, you could argue that the Happy Mask Salesman utilizes what is practically a mask of personality in displaying himself. We've all seen it: he's perfectly fine, well-mannered and well-spoken, when suddenly, he snaps; red eyes, a scowl, rage spilling from his tongue, so much so that he can't think straight, can't speak straight-- what he shows here is what I'd liken to his true character, and his well-mannered self, I believe, is his mask.

So, what does his mask represent? I mean, masks are meant to disguise who you truly are, so how is he trying to portray himself? What is he not, essentially, at his heart? What cavity is he trying to fill? Well, the words of his masked self give us some insight: He says he "Believes in Link's strengths"? Doe he? Or is he simply offering false security? What about "I'm a very busy fellow, and I must leave this town in just three days"? Obviously, we all know his urgency has nothing to do with his schedule. but rather with a much more grave issue, the moon's descent and subsequent obliteration of the world. What the HMS is trying to sell is his well-being; that, despite the chaos of the world around him, he is a stable, collected, moderate individual. Thus, following the logic of his two selves and their relationship, he must be the complete opposite: unstable and obsessive.

And... wow... That was a lot of work to get to a point I could've covered in my first sentence. But anyway, these three traits do an excellent job of summing up the HMS' character, especially his fascination with dark arts and artifacts, and, ultimately, that's really all there is to his character. My senses tell me he's simply an incredibly sickly man-- once again, not "evil", per se, but, due to his disturbing nature, capable of performing harmful and immoral deeds for his own gain and to bring his warped sense of rightfulness to fruition. He likely has a shadowy past, but not necessarily a supernatural one; his eery abilities are likely a result of his shockingly expansive wealth of knowledge, having evidently delved into the forbidden pasts of multiple tribes (the ancient tribe of MM and the Sheikah, to name a few), among other dark studies of his, all likely to to his, as noted, twisted and obsessive nature.

And, in the end, that's more fulfilling than any any empty theory of his relations to the ancient tribe, the moon children, the Twili, etc. In the end, at least to me, all of the fright, all of the fear, put into any otherworldly phenomena imaginable, any paranormal conspiracy conceivable, pales in comparison to the utter terror of a man who knows more than he should.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
Evil is just a matter of perspective. I don't think he is truely cruel, but he does anything to persue his own goals and is willing to sacrifice anything for that. But genuinely evil? No.

Majoras-Light

Gatekeeper
I understand where your coming from, but it's not only the action of fulfilling his goals, but also the goals he is fulfilling.

Blackkirby

Proud Jesus Freak !
I just think he is creepy i mean he looks creepy and sorta just is creepy. Even though i have yet to play Majoras Mask ( which i hope i will soon) i know most of it so this is my simple answer.

TatlTails

WANTS HER VMS BACK
I think... I don't think he's 'evil' in the sense of 'He's a villian that is going to hurt people and must be defeated' evil. I think he's just... dangerous. And insane, but not truly an 'evil' in the antagonistic sort of sense.

Yes, he has some sort of magic abilities. Obviously, judging by the hammerspace organ and the warping he can do. Oh yeah, and the fact that HE FOUND AND RELEASED A DEMONIC MASK SAID TO BE SEALED IN SHADOW FOR ALL OF TIME. That's what wavers me on his 'evil' nature. He knew how dangerous that mask was. He knew it was used for ancient hexing rituals and brought about the end of an entire tribe. AND WHEN HE FOUND IT, HE KNEW SOMETHING TERRIBLE WAS GOING TO HAPPEN. But he took it anyway.

Although, that I think can go with ReveredPartisan's post, and I can just say that he is not in his right mind. He is insane, and he has a highly unhealthy obsession with masks. I don't think that he even cared the mask was evil. Yes, he made sure to mention that to Link, but that probably could've just been said for Link's sake, so that the child would want to get the mask. He just wanted it back in his collection, whether it was evil or not.

Though that's all theory, and half of it came to me just now.

I've always thought that his origins were the same as the Children of the Moon. He's the previous generation of that species, and it's probably in their nature to hoard masks and hide their true faces. Maybe they're the last of the Ancient Tribe and are holding onto tradition with manic devotion? I'm not sure. But my overall opinion is that HMS is nowhere near the side of good, but he is also not quite a villian. He's just teetering on the edge of Chaotic Neutral.

Majoras-Light

Gatekeeper
I agree. So far, the best word I have come across to describe him is mental. The man may not be a villian, but he certainly is a little crazy.

Mask-Salesman

And now.. That imp has it
I've always thought that his origins were the same as the Children of the Moon. He's the previous generation of that species, and it's probably in their nature to hoard masks and hide their true faces. Maybe they're the last of the Ancient Tribe and are holding onto tradition with manic devotion? I'm not sure. But my overall opinion is that HMS is nowhere near the side of good, but he is also not quite a villian. He's just teetering on the edge of Chaotic Neutral.

Very interesting theory, I've never thought about that. You are kinda right though. They look the same design-wise, they talk in riddles and they have an obsession with masks. Brilliant perspective on the case!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom