• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Happy Endings?

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I noticed that almost every Zelda game has a happy ending or half happy ending eventually if you beat it. So what about one where absolutely nothing goes right. The quest fails miserably and the Hyrule really is plunged into darkness for the next five years til they finish the heroic sequel. I think Nintendo could pull something like this off. Disheartening, depressing, sad, and hopeful. Through great pains the hero and smaller companions must travel. Would this be a good idea for the future? Do you think they could pull it off? Could they acuurately portray the suffering and keep it under wraps for younger kids? What are your thoughts?

I think in theory, it could be good, maybe. I mean, people have said that before, but it's disheartening. How many modern day, succesful stories go like this? You do bring up a good point with Nintendo though, if they did it, then it would at least be a good game, but maybe not great. It is something that would be interesting to see.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice
I think so anyway. People today like to hear the upside of things but TP did a good job at showing the dark half of reality in a nonrealistic way. Another game they made that really shows things gone wrong is pretty much all of Metriod. Those I find entertaining but Zelda is the whimsical save the princess happy ending and that is what gives it some charm. It probably wouldn't go over well but it would be interesting to see how people react. I know I'd be interested in playing it too.

SuperMetroid

Eating Your Brains
I don't think Zelda would benefit from a series of games focussing on the one story (that is what you're implying, right?). The fact that the games take so long to develop is a major factor. Unlike most other games nowadays, each Zelda practically re-invents itself. This means new visuals, different themes and more. Although, I guess in the cases of ALttP/LA and OoT/MM, there was the ability to use resources from previous games. Yet in analysing these, it is important to note that the typical Zelda legend was only involved once; the second game in both featured Link endeavouring in his own separate quest.

That all being said, I could be wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if an outside developer went down this path. I'd prefer to see the games without Ganon, Zelda and the Triforce (a la FS series), but you never know what's possible.

Wow, this could be the best idea for a series of two games to come out. The prequel would end terribly and set up the hope for the second game to save the universe. It would be a big risky move by Nintendo so they won't do it, but if they did it might turn out to be the best of the best

I think that would ruin the fantasy of the legend of Zelda (as axle the beast says) a FANTASY game. it is too realistic that a person fail at fighting a gigantic evil, but the point of the Legend of Zelda is that Link is special and indirectly the player is special and that is why they can't fail. so I think that idea just goes against the main idea behinnd the hero of time or of the winds.

Groose

Groosenator
I think that would ruin the fantasy of the legend of Zelda (as axle the beast says) a FANTASY game. it is too realistic that a person fail at fighting a gigantic evil, but the point of the Legend of Zelda is that Link is special and indirectly the player is special and that is why they can't fail. so I think that idea just goes against the main idea behinnd the hero of time or of the winds.

Maybe it could end with Link just running out of time or something. He is the Hero, so he will succeed.. just in a sequel haha

Pinhead101

Pokemon Master
I don't think so. What about all of the kids who are playing Zelda for the first time? Think back to the first time you played Zelda. Would you have been okay with an unhappy ending?
I wouldn't. Nintendo doesn't want to disappoint children.

i don't think nintendo will do that because why you go through an in game with the intention of saving hyrule and the princess just to see the ending being the opposite and having to waait a year or 2 to play the next game and having a happy ending it just doesn't make sense

It would be interesting to see how Nintendo would have a game end in failure. I doubt that Nintendo would do it, but it is an interesting idea to think about. If Nintendo wanted to create such a Zelda game, I think they could pull it off. I would be very interested if Nintendo did create such a Zelda game.

It could work because they already have Wind Waker, where the Hero never showed. Instead you could have a story in which the "Hero" of the game fails at his quest and dies before Killing the reviving Gannondorf. But you know it will work out because of Wind Waker.

Well, if you count the Game Over from Ocarina of Time, Nintendo has already made a bleak and despairing ending. After all that hard work of awakening the sages and warding evil of the land to rescue Zelda from the clutches of Ganondorf, OoT Link was by Ganondorf in their duel. Thus Ganondorf gained the full Triforce and use it to take over the world, transforming into a fat blue pig. But Zelda and the sages sealed him the Dark World before he has the chance. Peace was followed by the Imprisoning War thanks to the lust for the Triforce and nearly wiped out the entire Hylian army, leaving only a few survivors. ALTTP Link was a descendant of those survivors and the events of the ALttP follows, ending with him gaining the Triforce and bringing peace to Hyrule.

The End of Ocarina of Time - Zelda Wiki

SinkingBadges

The Quiet Man
Wow, this could be the best idea for a series of two games to come out. The prequel would end terribly and set up the hope for the second game to save the universe. It would be a big risky move by Nintendo so they won't do it, but if they did it might turn out to be the best of the best

Can't say that I'm too big on series that focus on spreading their story over several games. More often than not, if you haven't followed from the start, things aren't really on yor favor if you're gonna follow them. I mean; it's not a bad method, just comparatively un-practical.

Yeah, the whimsical part is somewhat true, since Zelda does have a pretty classic fairy-tale vibe to it, and I guess that implies some happily-ever-afterness. If you look closer, though, they do manage to put some un-certainty and even doubt into the storyline. Look at some of these:

Ocarina of Time: Zora's Domain was never un-frozen in the game.

Majora's Mask: The deku butler's son was never returned to normal.

And for a more recent example...

Skyward Sword: Impa's words to Link when you come across her and Zelda for the first time. This one shook me a little bit when I first saw it, actually.

And these are just the ones I can think off the top of my head. I don't really see why they wouldn't take it further than that, even if step by step. (If they haven't already, that is. I've heard Link's Awakening had quite an ambiguous ending, but I haven't played it so...)

Well, if you count the Game Over from Ocarina of Time, Nintendo has already made a bleak and despairing ending. After all that hard work of awakening the sages and warding evil of the land to rescue Zelda from the clutches of Ganondorf, OoT Link was by Ganondorf in their duel. Thus Ganondorf gained the full Triforce and use it to take over the world, transforming into a fat blue pig. But Zelda and the sages sealed him the Dark World before he has the chance. Peace was followed by the Imprisoning War thanks to the lust for the Triforce and nearly wiped out the entire Hylian army, leaving only a few survivors. ALTTP Link was a descendant of those survivors and the events of the ALttP follows, ending with him gaining the Triforce and bringing peace to Hyrule.

The End of Ocarina of Time - Zelda Wiki

That's true. I remember seeing a pretty interesting thread on that a while ago, actually. Might not be good for posting now, but it's an interesting read if you're interested on personal analysis. I'll drop a link here, since it could be relevant:

http://zeldadungeon.net/forum/f9/de...t-interesting-much-more-29842.html#post440717

Last edited:

Mrflamexd3

Wind Waker!
Majora's Mask if you sit and do nothing...no seriously, that would be cool, like if the whole world exploded except for Link and Zelda..hehe.

TrueChaos

Defender of Hyrule
i'd like something where something happens so things aren't all as rosy as they first seem but i like the happy endings. after having to go through so much, the characters deserve some happiness.

Tadpole

Don Gero's Apprentice

I agree completely. It is far too realistic and not best suited for a Zelda game. But this is also the reason why I would like to see one for the heck of it. Becuase it would be so different. Something new to throw you off. A new twist to Zelda development. Worth the loses to Nintendo...not really.

Can't say that I'm too big on series that focus on spreading their storie over several games. More often than not, if you haven't followed from the start, things aren't really on yor favor if you're gonna follow them. I mean; it's not a bad method, just comparatively un-practical.

This is, and I agree with this too, what makes Zelda special. Each new game is a new story. It might connect but only with a few characters or plot points. Nothing major. Zelda wouldn't benefit from a method like this but it was the only way to add on a happy ending. It isnt practical at all. But it would be interesting for them to make one for the sake of making it and then "releasing" it as an individual thing so as not to confuse the already confused timeline. If that makes any sense.

I don't think so. What about all of the kids who are playing Zelda for the first time? Think back to the first time you played Zelda. Would you have been okay with an unhappy ending?
I wouldn't. Nintendo doesn't want to disappoint children.

Another thought that makes sense. I agree to on the fact that they must cater to the coming up generations. I think it would be a game more geared to teens and older gamers rather than younger kids but because of the fact that Nintendo takes so long to master their games, this would be the only new game for the younger ages to play. Probably isn't best.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom