• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Happy Birthday, Breath of the Wild!

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild was released 3 years ago today.

zelda-breath-of-the-wild-cover-0.jpg

After more than five years of waiting, Nintendo finally released the latest installment in the Zelda franchise, along with it's new console, the Nintendo Switch on March 3rd, 2017. The game went on to sell over 15 million copies worldwide.

Did you get the game on launch day? And do you think the game has aged well?

Happy birthday, Breath of the Wild!

Last edited:
I was lucky enough to get a Switch, the special edition of BotW and all five amiibo on day one.

Three years later and 600+ hours of play time I still play it pretty much daily.

I have plenty of games for my Switch, but BotW, like Wind Waker, is my go-to game and practically lives in my Switch between New releases.

I think it has aged well and I like that it is referenced as something special and important within gaming, especially in open world discussions.

Happy third birthday BotW <3

My Breath of the Wild journey was pretty... wild. sorry.

It was my first open world game. There were a few games that sort of caught my eye in the past, but the open world concept was just really intimidating to me. That remained true for BotW. I got it on launch, but I was reluctant to start the game. After I got the paraglider I stopped playing for the day. The plateau was too big and I wasn't ready to see what was beyond. My first time off the plateau was a frantic race for dear life--spanning setting moblins on fire and barely making it away, to surviving central tower, to getting lost in a lightning storm with my unnamed horse while trying to find a stable. Finding Hateno village was instant relief, and is probably my most nostalgic moment.

There were a lot of adjustments I had to make, but I really cherish the memories of it being foreign to me. The Sheikah aesthetic will never have the same impact it had on me back when I first played it, and that kind of makes me sad.

I also made some friends through the game and while some of those friendships regrettably ended because I'm stupid, I still cherish the moments I had with those people. And to those friendships that have lasted, I am grateful that the game brought us together and that our personalities kept us together.

Happy third anniversary, Breath of the Wild.

TheGreatCthulhu

Composer of the Night.
ZD Champion
There has to be cake for the party!

giphy.gif

Krazy4Krash

Staff member
Happy birthday to BotW!

I bought my copy of the game on launch day, but didn't play it until the following day. I had played a demo at a private event held by Nintendo two months before, and let my brother play our copy that night so I could hog it the entire next day. I have fond memories of getting through the Great Plateau and Vah Ruta during that session. I no-lifed the heck out of the game over the next several weeks.

My copy of the game is for the Wii U. I couldn't afford a Switch at the time and didn't get one for about two months, when I won one. I told myself I would get a copy for the Switch as well but still haven't got around to it yet.

I'm actually quite far from 100% completion in my original file; I completed all the shrines and got all the clothing, but never finished all the sidequests or Korok seeds. My most & least proud moment was spending over $80 on all the different Link amiibo for the alternate Tunics, then grinding dozens and dozens of Star Fragments so I could upgrade them all.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
17039297_1925814337638992_5087375249748100788_o.jpg

This popped up in my Facebook feed as one of those 'on this day 3 years ago' things.

I remember so vividly waking up like I had gotten an electric shock. I was so excited and hyped that day. From the moment when I first saw this game, at E3 2014 when Aonuma snapped his fingers, I just knew that this would be the game of my dreams.

I was the only one queuing outside, with my Master Sword replica (and basically jumping on the clerk the moment the store opened, haha.)

It was just insane. Some of the happiest days of my life.

Breath of the Wild is to this day the best game I've ever played. It affected me in a way that I didn't think video games was capable of.

Happy birthday <3

MapelSerup

not actually Canadian
Breath of the Wild was a great experience. Because of the Switch shortage, I was unable to get one on launch day. I had gone with my grandmother to Target and it wasn’t there, but she went ahead and bought me BOTW because she was awesome. I stared at the box as we pulled into the target at 5 in the morning because the clerk we called said they would get another shipment. Disappointed, I continued my search.
I soon got word that my uncle, who worked at WalMart up in NY, was going to be able to get one. I was hyped. I made sure that I would still get it because we were at the beach that week, and grabbed my copy of the game. I waited where were staying for what seemed like forever, and finally, it was here.
I opened it and set it up with fervor. I was FINALLY going to get to experience this game. Besides a trailer or two, I was going in almost completely spoiler-free. I hooked the game up to the TV and got started. The man who introduced me to Zelda, my grandfather, watched as I beat the Great Plateau, made my way to Kakariko and Zora’s Domain, beat the Lynel, and completed the Divine Beast, all while dying. A lot.

Thanks, BOTW. You gave me some of my favorite memories. Happy Birthday!

Quin

Disaster Master
3 years and my thoughts on it haven't changed. still love it to death.
I don't buy consoles on launch day so I had to settle with the Wii U version on release, played it to completion and beyond. Even getting all the korok seeds and still playing.
Later when I got the Switch I double dipped (to be fair I got it for way cheaper) and did it all over again.
then even later I build a way better PC, emulated it in 1080p 60 frames and did it all over AGAIN.(minus the korok seeds this time)
I count the game more of a Wii U game than a Switch game, but if I didn't I would say its my favorite current gen game.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I got it and my switch on launch day and man. It very quickly became the greatest game I've ever played. It's still my favorite video game ever. I have gushed on and on about it before, but since it's a special day, I'll do it again!

On launch day, I stood outside a BestBuy with my mother before it opened (I wasn't able to drive on my own yet back then). There was a decent sized crowd there, even in this desert of an area for games. There was a kid there who was super excited and bubbly because he couldn't wait to get his switch. I couldn't help feeling the same even though I was at least ten years older than he was.

I didn't preorder anything, but I was still able to get a switch and BotW with ease. I bought the DLC at the same time, too, so I was all set from day one. The first time I booted up that switch and popped in BotW was such a rush. I immediately got sucked in. I haven't looked back since. BotW is the best game ever made and I will love it to death forever. Even if they can top it, it will always have a special place in my heart.

Echolight

❤️ love yourself ❤️
ZD Champion
:party::party: Happy Birthday BOTW!! You’ve changed the Zelda series forever, in good way.:party::party:

I was only 9 or 10 when it came out, so I wasn’t very informed, since I didn’t really go onto the internet until last year. I knew of it, but since my family is definitely not rich, we couldn’t get it, so I watched gamers play it. I wanted it SO bad. I was obsessed with the game! (I watched a full commentary play through that had 105 hour long episodes, so...yeah.)

I FINALLY got it in September last year, my aunt got it for my brother’s birthday. I was SO excited to play it. And when I did, I knew how everyone love it so much. It was amazing! Even my Dad, who doesn’t like puzzle games, so he doesn’t like Zelda, loved BOTW! (The first time he played it, he played it for six hours straight)

Even I had to set a timer to keep myself from playing too long. So yes, BOTW, you are amazing. Happy Birthday.

Hi all long time lurker here :D finally decided to post as this monumental game deserves it. I got the game on day one for the WII U as i couldn't afford a switch at release and wow that feeling the first time i emerged from the shrine of resurrection onto the plateau is something i had never experienced in a game before. I was hooked although i have been a fan of zelda since a Link to the past on SNES ,This was something different and fresh. I am now on my 2nd play through on the switch and still loving it even 3 years later .I spent 1 and half hours today trying to complete the lost pilgrimage (damn i forgot how frustrating that shrine quest is ) and have 5 shrines left to complete anyway happy birthday BOTW thanks for the hours of entertainment your still giving me even now ,I cant wait for the sequel.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
The game went on to sell over 15 million copies worldwide.
I think it's currently sitting at an impressive 17.9 million copies sold globally!

I've yearned for an open world Zelda game in the years after I played Twilight Princess. I feel like no matter what I was going to enjoy Breath of the Wild. I love being able to explore the vast world of Hyrule - it almost made me feel like a kid again.

I still remember that epic last trailer at the Nintendo Switch Presentation in 2017 and that final countdown to release. I did not get a Switch at launch so I first played it on the Wii U and had a lot fun for 3 or so months. Finally picked it up again for Switch in November of 2017 but haven't had the chance to revisit.

I'm a little more mixed than some people here. I think the exploration and overworld are unparalleled as far as Zelda goes, but as a big fan of dungeons, the divine beasts and shrines were not up to par with traditional Zelda dungeons. I hope BotW2 will fix this issue and be something truly special.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom