• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Handwriting or Typing?

Mercedes

つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Typing if I can help it. I used to take notes on a pen and paper at University but now I just take my tablet and the (silent) keyboard and take notes that way. Much quicker and has additional benefits, like if you save everything as PDF you can search multiple files at once so it makes referencing and referring back much easier than pen and paper ever could be, and organisation takes a lot less time, and you can back-up everything you do! So it's quicker and more functional, and I'll stick with it. I still keep a little notepad and pen in my purse just in case and usually only write to scribble little things down.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I tend to function much better when handwriting. Everything just flows easier ; grammar and spelling becomes second nature as I do it without even thinking, and I can get across what I'm saying much smoother whether it is a formal assignment or a writing piece. When typing, it's like I'm thinking more were my fingers are going so my spelling (w/o autocorrect) is pretty bad, my grammar isn't up to scratch, and the way I'm trying to convey my words doesn't come off as fluid. So handwriting is much more natural to me.

Even though I prefer traditional writing, my actual handwriting isn't the best. It's not like it's messy or anything, it's just really small to the point where my teachers told me to change it because examiners might struggle. Thing is, my typing isn't necessarily perfect either; however I've become accustom to typing very fast on a tablet and my phone.

Dan

Typing, it's a lot easier and less human error involved if anyone needs to read what I've written and carry out a task from it. The amount of times I've had to call someone up and have had no idea what their name was because their name was wrote down from what looked like it came from someone with a busted hand. Digital text also has the benefits of easily being manipulated. In Business it's really important to use digital text, but so is hand-written writing.
it has become argued here and there whether or not people need to learn proper handwriting skills.
I can't really see why there is an argument for it, people certainly need to learn how to hand write correctly, not everything can be written down on a computer, writing clearly is pretty much all there is to handwriting, and yet not everyone does such even now. Going back to the business world although most tasks can be accomplished by computer, if your aim is to make for example a thank you letter more personal then hand writing it is often viewed as the more personal way of doing such.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
I do a mix of both. If I'm really hot on inspiration and am feeling impatient, I'll open up my Word program and just type things out raw. However, if I "really need to think about something" or have some inspiration but really need to work things out, I go to pen and pad before I type. The advantage of a notebook is that I can take it outside on a nice day without worrying about screen-glare or battery-life. The disadvantage is that my cursive (yep, I'm old enough to have learned that in school) is "typical artist-handwriting" - which means no one can read it but me, and even I have trouble reading it sometimes when I'm going over it.

Last edited:

*M i d n a*

Æsir Scribe
Before I ever got my hands on a computer, I had to do my writing via pencil and pen. When I started off my writing career, or at least writing stories for a hobby, I started them using just paper and pencil. Then I went to paper and pen. Then, in High School I learned how to type, and soon enough I was the class's best typer. And now, I am a fast writer/typer. I honestly don't know how many words I can type per minute because I've never challenged myself to do that. I guess now it doesn't matter, but I surely am fast. I will stay with typing over hand writing, though, it's much faster. :cool:

Typing. I'm just blazing fast when it comes to typing and I usually do not make any errors thanks to spell check. Also, my hand writing is horrendous. I feel horrible when someone has to read my lecture notes or rough drafts. At times, I don't even know what I wrote. >.<

octorok74

TETTAC
I prefer to handwrite everything. Always in pen and always in cursive. I don't like typing, it just feels weird to me. Writing seems so much more elegant nowadays. I like that.

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I prefer to write rather than type, even though I can type at a decent pace. When taking down notes, I find that I remember the information a lot easier through physically writing it down. It is also the faster method for me. I generally only type assignments that need to look formal and be handed in.

The disadvantage is that my cursive (yep, I'm old enough to have learned that in school)

Maybe it varies in other countries, but as far as I know, cursive lessons are still part of the standard curriculum in the US. I learned it in 3rd grade, which was about 10 years ago, and I'm pretty sure kids are still learning it to this day.

I prefer typing for all of the reasons already stated in this thread. I'm young enough to have learned typing in elementary school (not that it was helpful - I had to forget everything they taught me and teach myself, and pretty soon it came naturally). My handwriting vacillates between chicken scratch and so good it looks like I typed it, but either way it's tedious and causes cramps when I do it for very long.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I prefer typing. It's easier to fix mistakes than writing in pen, plus I don't have to worry about anyone not being able to read my handwriting (my handwriting is fine, but still). It's also easier on me to type if I have to do it for a prolonged amount of time. Writing tends to tire out my wrists faster than typing.

That said, though, I'm not very good at typing... I only know how to type with two fingers.

Skunk

Floof
Either is really fine for me, and it's more or less circumstantial when one is better to me than the other.

43ForceGems

Quid est veritas, Claudia
Definitely typing, no contest. I mean I don't get why anyone would pick handwriting, it starts to hurt your hand after a while and it has the chance of being somewhat illegible sometimes, when typing is SO much faster, clearer, doesn't hurt your hands, it's just better in every way

Firice da Vinci

Distinct lack of Leonardo
Maybe it varies in other countries, but as far as I know, cursive lessons are still part of the standard curriculum in the US. I learned it in 3rd grade, which was about 10 years ago, and I'm pretty sure kids are still learning it to this day.
From what I get from teachers, learning to write in cursive is a part of the curriculum, but no teacher ever spends enough time trying to properly instruct their students. I remember going over the first five or so in 3rd grade and two or three in 4th. My 5th grade teacher preferred to write in cursive, but only a couple kids in the class could read it.

Also, there is a pretty big chunk of high school kids, at least in my school, that were never taught to sign their names. Whenever they have to place their signature on a legal document, they have to print it.

Definitely typing, no contest. I mean I don't get why anyone would pick handwriting, it starts to hurt your hand after a while and it has the chance of being somewhat illegible sometimes, when typing is SO much faster, clearer, doesn't hurt your hands, it's just better in every way

There are actually many ways to write for long periods of time without your hand hurting. For one, there are proper ways to hold a pen or pencil, but hardly anyone is instructed on the suggested positions. Pressure control is another important part. Those who press down with too much force get cramps early on. I have this problem myself and am working on correcting it. Legibility and speed are a part of training, just as it takes time for people to learn how to type on a keyboard. Not to say that typing is not faster, but writing does not have to be painfully slow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom