• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Art Half Life 2 - Writing Collections

LordFire

King of Fire
Good evening, everyone!
This a "collection" of writings based on the Half Life 2 story. By collection, I mean a group of seperate diaries made by a few different people (at this point, two) about their lives under the control of the Universal Union.
I decided to start writing this in order to refine my ideas on Half Life 2 roleplay (I roleplay, deal with it) since I haven't partaken in that in... Oh, say a few months.
If you don't know what Half Life 2 is, you should check it out! It's a game developed by Valve which is, in my opinion, great. This is going to assume you know much of the setting of Half Life and will only tell you a few things about the story.
Anyways, I'll stop bothering you and get right to it. I hope that you decide to keep reading.

Okay, so... I sort of need some help here.
Basically, when I write these, I follow a format. I'm wondering whether my logs should be more story-told than usual? This is talking about Johnathan Issac, the CCA unit. I can't do a first-person story-teller view with Ethan very well, considering he is a citizen. Citizens do not have access to the type of technology that the CCA have, such as facemasks and microphones...

I digress.
I'm going to pretend that people actually read this, but I need to know whether I should format this as a story or the way I'm currently doing it.
I've realized I have a TON of grammatical errors upon re-reading the logs/diary entry. If they bother you that much, I can fix them.
Also, I'm going to start writing like this instead of how I've been doing it:

The units stand around in the subway, the camera on their facemasks picking up nothing in the darkness which encases them. A flicker of light, no, more like a reflection of light strikes the camera. The units turn, facing it. Hearts beating rapidly, wondering whether they are face-to-face with a necrotic. Sweat boils on their skin as their guns aim into the darkness.

CCA-AURA.03.10822 stand there, quaking in fear. He opens his mouth, ever so slightly, and speaks in a voice below a whisper. The soft hum of the facemask vocoder seems loud compared to how soft he speaks, "<:: The light... That can't be a necrotic..."

The other unit, CCA-AURA.03.24356 nods, and responds shaking and stuttering in his cowardly voice, "<:: Y-Yeah. B-But then what could it have...?"

The unit stops, hearing shuffling behind them. They pivot on their feet, quickly. They have fallen to the ruse! A barrage of gunfire emanates behind them, bullets spreading throughout their backs. Both units crumple to the floor, bleeding out. Their breathing is labored, then promptly stops. Three men emerge from the shadows, only their feet visible by the cameras. One of the men speaks in a clear, calm voice.

"Resist."

The camera cuts to black, presumably because the body was moved. Nothing more is heard except the shuffling of feet.

What do you think of me writing like that instead of like:

CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: The light... It couldn't have been a necrotic."

Please, post feedback below. I desperately need it.

Setting:
The year is 2016. It will be around five years before Gordon Freeman is released from his stasis to begin the liberation of mankind.
The Resistance is silent, rarely opposing the Universal Union's grand army. Most of their members have a clean record and are loyalists; this is done to keep suspicions at bay and personal liberties numerous.
As a result, rebellion is a thought pushed aside by most citizens. Once in a blue moon, a spray of a lambda will be seen in the city's plaza; citizens are reminded of the presence of the Resistance only by the propaganda they find.

Johnathan Issac
<::|Accessing Database...
<::|./UnionOfficers
<::|./Unit10822
<::|./Logs
<::|Accessing File
<::|Decryption Process Started...
<::|Displaying Data...

<::|Time 3:03 PM; April 07
<::|City 18
<::|LOG 1 CREATED|::>

<::|Unit Data|::>
<::|./LoadingAuthentication.exe...
<::|./Johnathan Issac
<::|./Male
<::|./Heterosexual
<::|./Caucasian
<::|./White; Light Tan
<::|./167 lbs.
<::|./5 FT. 8 IN.
<::|./AURA-03
<::|./10822
<::|Unit Authentication Complete|::>
<::|Welcome, 10822|::>

... So, this thing is on now?
If I have to go through that every time I have to create a log, I'll be damn pissed.
Focus, focus...

This is Unit 10822 creating a log for the first time.
Truthfully, High Command told me that this would only be accessible by me and my superiors in AURA so I'm thinking of turning this into a log-diary kind of thing.
I remember one of the EpU's did that, so I might as well do it... Turned theirs into a complete description of the Union, almost.
Maybe I should do that... It might teach some of the recruits some lessons if I do that. Could whip it out when I get into the suit of a Divisional...
Some day.

I digress, it's time to make this log.
Today, not much truthfully happened.
I got on-duty, as usual, and simply patrolled the D1 Plaza. Not many citizens about, or on-duty officers since it was so early. At around, maybe 12:00 some of the citizens started to crowd me. They backed away after I raised my stunstick, so I didn't bother arresting them. Probably... 30 minutes earlier I saw some of the other units get on-duty. I patrolled with a unit from AURA, but I can't remember their digits.
That was today's log.

All right, what else...?
I actually think that's all. I'm tired, I'll probably be putting in some notes in my logs since I always carry my datapad with me.
Look at me, treating this like a diary already!
Okay, since this is my "diary" now...
Maybe something interesting will happen tomorrow. Hopefully.
I remember hearing some stuff about the Universal Union re-structuring the Metropolitan Force. Luckily enough, one of my "friends" was able to secure a copy of the up-coming manual... Let me see if I can find it...
METRO POLICE HANDBOOK
--Version 1.0--
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We serve the Universal Union.

<:: Loading document... ::>
<:: Enter password: ************** ::>
<:: Access Granted ::>
<:: Loading document... ::>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Table of Contents [CONTENTS00]

KEY [KEY00]
Chapter 1: Basic Information [BASIC00]
---------------------Section I: Universal Union's History [BASIC01]
---------------------Section II: Basic Rules [BASIC02]
---------------------Section III: Rank Powers [BASIC03]
----------------------------------------Sub-Section i: Universal Union Terms [BASICi03]
---------------------Section IV: Radio Codes [BASIC04]
Chapter 2: Universal Union Protocols [PROTOCOL00]
---------------------Section I: Basic Protocols [PROTOCOL01]
---------------------Section II: Combat Protocols [PROTOCOL02]
---------------------Section III: Arrest Protocols [PROTOCOL03]
---------------------Section IV: MPF Verdict Protocols [PROTOCOL04]

Key [KEY00]

Throughout this Metro Police Handbook, several colors will be seen highlighting certain sections of text. These colors and their meaning shall be listed below:
---------------------------------1.0 Key:-----------------------------------------------------------
TEAL - Important Information
PINK/PURPLE - Identifier Codes
BLUE - Titles
GREEN - Names
YELLOW - Representatives/Words of Importance
RED - Highlights/Important Information
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please note that certain colors have multiple meaning behind them. This ends the section for the key, moving on we shall address Chapter 1 - Basic Information.

Chapter 1 - Basic Information [BASIC00]

This chapter is divided into 4 sections, covering the topics of:
History of the Universal Union
Basic Rules
Rank Powers
Radio Codes

If you are attempting to locate a different piece of information, view the table of contents once again.

Section I: History of the Universal Union [BASIC01]
Our Benefactors, or the Universal Union, is a large group of conquerors who have taken control of multiple planets before Earth's annexation. Our Benefactors on the Combine Overworld have taken the time and effort to create super soldiers, otherwise known as the Overwatch Transhuman Arm, which are created for each certain environment of a planet. Earth, the Combine's most recent annexation, used the Portal Storms to invade the planet. Soldiers were able to capture Earth in under seven hours, having surrender assured by Dr. Breen, current administrator of City 17. Our Benefactors know what is best for the human race and continue to do what is best for you. The human race should be grateful to Our Benefactors for allowing them to even remain alive and in such graceful accommodations. This is why the Metro Police Force is open to the general public, for a chance for the human race to redeem themselves.
Next, we shall be covering Section II: Basic Rules. If this is not what you want to learn about, please look at the table of contents.

Section II: Basic Rules [BASIC02]

Within the Metro Police Force branch of City 18 of the Universal Union, certain basic rules should be enforced at all times. These rules focus on respect and consequences for disrespect. Main objectives for all units and other information about the basics of the Metro Police Force are located inside. If this is not what you wish to learn about, please view the table of contents again.

-------------------------------------------Metro Police Information------------------------------------------------

Within the Metro Police Force, ranks are issued based on experience of the unit and faith placed in that unit's abilities. The ranks go as follows:

Ranking Chart
SupCOMM - Supreme Command [Overwatch]
SeC - Sectoral Command [Metro Police Force]
CSC - Co-Sectoral Command [Metro Police Force]
EOW - Elite Overwatch [Overwatch]
OWS - Overwatch Soldier [Overwatch]
DvL - Divisional Leader [Metro Police Force]
EpU - Elite Patrol Unit [Metro Police Force]
OfC - Officer [Metro Police Force]
.01 - Rank 01 [Metro Police Force]
.02 - Rank 02 [Metro Police Force]
.03 - Rank 03 [Metro Police Force]
.04 - Rank 04 [Metro Police Force]
RCT - Recruit [Metro Police Force]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ranks are given at this point in the handbook because certain rules revolve around the ranks. Each unit is expected to act dutifully and respectfully to higher ranked units. Talking out of line will result in serious punishment which can include up to amputations or permanent off-world assignment. It is important to treat higher-ranked units at .02 and above with the up-most respect. However, units of low stature cannot issue disrespect verdicts to another unit. This shall be covered more in the next section, Section III: Rank Powers. Aside from treating units with respect, you should treat one another with dignity no matter the rank. Basic "humane" treatment is necessary for all units as a sign of respect for one another. Disrespect to another unit will go with repercussions, however not as serious as disrespect to a high-ranking unit.
Another basic rule which all units of the Universal Union must follow: Citizen lives are expendable, though the primary goal of a unit is to maintain order. Citizen amputations should not be held in public eye unless authorized by an Officer or above. The viewing of the amputation of a fellow citizen could cause uproar and civil unrest, therefore amputations should be conducted in private. Once a citizen is amputated, details about his death should be kept confidential and a Report of Amputation should be filed in their data sheet like so:
Example Datasheet:
Citizen Name: John Doe
Citizen ID: 12345
Crimes: Capitol Malcompliance - 10822/SeC | Uncivil Behavior - 10822/SeC
Report of Amputation: Private - Issued in Nexus | 10822/SeC

Data sheets are filled out like this, once someone reaches 12 points they are amputated. Points should be added even if they have 12 points if a crime is committed after arrest. Report of Amputation should list the location of amputation and whether is was private or public. Public amputations should be held if the Anti-Citizen is a high-status member of an underground movement. Data sheets must be set up like so, this is a very important rule. This ends the basic rules section of the MPF Handbook. Later on, we will go into detail about information listed here and other protocols for the MPF.

Next in this chapter is Section III: Rank Powers. If this is not what you wish to learn about, please look at the table on contents.

Section III: Rank Powers [BASIC03]

Within the Metro Police Force of the Universal Union, ranks are set to maintain an order of command among the units. This rank chart shall be listed below for the second time in this handbook, however if this is not what you wish to learn about please look at the table of contents.
-------------------------------------------Metro Police Information------------------------------------------------

Within the Metro Police Force, ranks are issued based on experience of the unit and faith placed in that unit's abilities. The ranks go as follows:

Ranking Chart
SupCOMM - Supreme Command [Overwatch]
SeC - Sectoral Command [Metro Police Force]
CSC - Co-Sectoral Command [Metro Police Force]
EOW - Elite Overwatch [Overwatch]
OWS - Overwatch Soldier [Overwatch]
DvL - Divisional Leader [Metro Police Force]
EpU - Elite Patrol Unit [Metro Police Force]
OfC - Officer [Metro Police Force]
.01 - Rank 01 [Metro Police Force]
.02 - Rank 02 [Metro Police Force]
.03 - Rank 03 [Metro Police Force]
.04 - Rank 04 [Metro Police Force]
RCT - Recruit [Metro Police Force]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the previous section, we learned that respect must be placed within superiors of .02+ or serious repercussions will occur. Respect should be given to all units, however low-ranking units are disregarded and the repercussions are not as serious. Punishments include amputations, re-education, permanent off-world assignment, and unit de-servicing. In the Metro Police Force, ranks have powers bestowed upon them. Certain ranks can do certain things, this is the list of what each rank can do.

Rank Powers

RCT - Recruit
Has the ability too...

-Receive Full Transhumanization
-Receive Minor Transhumanization
-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
-Have Access to Non-Standard Weapons
--Example: Magnum, Shotgun, Crossbow...
-Ability to Carry a Light Firearm
-Ability to Carry a Heavy Firearm
-Ability to Carry Grenades
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
-Ability to Issue Verdicts on MPF Units...
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Activate Autonomous Judgement
-Activate a Judgement Waiver
-Command a Squad During a Judgement Waiver
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Chase Down Low-Status Anti-Citizen
-Chase Down High-Status Anti-Citizen
-Leave Nexus Unsupervised
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access Administrative Levels Without Permission
-Ability to Call In Overwatch
-Ability to Command Lower Ranking Units
-Access to File Paperwork
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Access to Train Recruits
-Ability to Use Broadcast
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Ability to Initiate a Public Amputation
-Ability to Command Citizens
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sub-Section i: Universal Union Terms [BASICi03]

Now, you're probably asking yourself:
"What is this? Division? Torture?! Transhumanization? Verdict?"
This is okay for new recruits to not know what these terms mean, that is why this sub-section is here before the other ranks are finished. This sub-section, Sub-Section i: Universal Union Terms will talk about Universal Union terms and acronyms to aide you. Let's start with some acronyms, shall we?

Acronyms

UU - Universal Union
MPF - Metro Police Force/Metropolitan Police
OTA - Overwatch Transhuman Arm
AC - Anti-Citizen
CWU - Civil Workers Union/Party
----------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the most widely used acronyms standing for simple things listed above. Now for some terms...

Terms

Verdict - Verdict means, "Punishment." It's the punishment you deal for a crime. As an MPF unit, you are the Judge, Jury, and Executioner.
---Re-Education - A punishment in which you beat up the citizen until he's unconscious or bruised badly.
---Amputate - To kill. Same with amputation and the like.
---Level 4 Verdict - A simple search and re-education before letting the citizen go. Add 1 point to their datasheet.
---Level 3 Verdict - A search and re-education. Lead them to a jail-cell within the Nexus for 15 minutes. Add 3 points to their datasheet.
---Level 2 Verdict - A search and re-education. Lead them to a jail-cell within the Nexus for 30 minutes. Interrogate the suspect thoroughly. Add 5 points to their datasheet.
---Level 1 Verdict - A search and re-education. Lead them to a jail-cell within the Nexus. Interrogate and torture the suspect before amputating. Add 12 points to their datasheet.
---Points - How the Universal Union keeps track of crimes.
---Datasheet - Data on each citizen. The format is in Section II: Basic Rules.
Division - Also known as a squad. It's where certain units specialize in.
Rations - A purple bag filled with Universal Union issued food supplements and water.
District - An area of the City.
---District 1 - Main Area of a City.
---District 2 - Slums, Restricted Area
Unit - Another term for saying MPF Unit or Member.
Universal Union - The large group of Aliens which control the Earth and many other planets.
Our Benefactors - Another term for the Universal Union.
Combine - A disrespectful way for talking about the Universal Union.
Civil Workers Union - The CWU is a group of loyalist citizens.
---Loyalist - A group of citizens who aide the Universal Union in any way they can.
Anti-Citizen - A member of an underground movement or malcompliant citizen.
Transhumanization - The act of removing certain parts of the body and replacing them with synthetic replacements to improve performance.
Torture - A way of extracting information under extreme circumstances only.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greater detail on Metro Police protocol will be listed later. It will include how to deal with certain situations and the equipment of an MPF unit. Verdicts and how they are issued will also be within.
This ends the sub-section. Returning to Section III: Rank Powers.

Section III: Rank Powers [BASIC03]

Now continuing with Rank Powers...

Rank Powers

.04 - Rank 04
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

.03 - Rank 03
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

.02 - Rank 02
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

.01 - Rank 01
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

OfC - Officer
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

EpU - Elite Protection Unit
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

DvL - Divisional Leader
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

CSC - Co-Sector Command
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION

SeC - Sector Command
Has the ability too...

-Receive Light Training
-Receive Medium Training
-Receive Elite Training
-Wear Elite Kevlar
-Ability to Promote...
--RCT
--OfC
--EpU
--DvL
--CSC
--SeC
--Flash
--Smoke
--Regular
--Level 1
--Level 2
--Level 3
--Level 4
-Ability to Issue...
--Level 1 Verdict
--Level 2 Verdict
--Level 3 Verdict
--Level 4 Verdict
-Search District 2
-Search 45th Apartments
-Access to Dispatch
-Access to a Scanner
-Patrol Alone
-Start up Rations Cycle
-Access to Run Help Desk
-Access to Recruit Units
-Ability to Interrogate
-Ability to Torture
-Assigned to a Division
--Other than UNION
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This ends Section III: Rank Powers for the MPF Handbook. The next section is Section IV: Radio Codes. If this is not what you wanted to learn about, go back to the table of contents.

Section IV: Radio Codes [BASIC04]

This is Section IV: Radio Codes. All that will be located inside is a list of radio codes. If this is not what you were looking for, go back to the table of contents.

Radio Codes

10-0 Use Caution
10-1 Not Understood
10-2 Understood
10-3 Stop Transmitting
10-4 Copy/Okay
10-10 Busy
10-7 Off-service [Off-Duty]
10-8 In-service
10-18 ASAP
10-20 Your location
10-21 Return to Nexus
10-23 Stand by at ____.
10-29 Check for contraband
10-50 Patrol
10-103 Disturbance
10-106 Obscenity
10-107 Suspicious person
10-107M Subject is mentally unfit
10-108 Officer down or Officer needs assistance
11-1 Request Medical assistance
11-2 Request Overwatch
11-3 Stalker
11-20 Unauthorized public gathering
11-22 Contraband
11-23 Contraband Distribution
11-70 Riot
11-99 Officer requires immediate assistance! / EMERGENCY

ADW: Assault with a deadly weapon.
BOL/BOLO: Be on the lookout.
DB: Dead body.
UL/UTL: Unable to locate.

Code 30: Homicide.
Code 30S: Homicide by shooting.
Code 31S: Shooting.
Code 500: Unlawful entry.
Code 647A: Vagrant loitering in a public place.
Code 647B: Vagrant is non-cohesive.
Code 647C: Vagrant is evasion status!
Code 647E: Anti-Citizen.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This ends Chapter 1: Basic Information and Section IV: Radio Codes. Next is Chapter 2: Universal Union Protocol.

Chapter 2: Universal Union Protocols [PROTOCOL00]

This chapter is broken up into four sections:
Basic Protocols
Combat Protocols
Arrest Protocols
MPF Verdict Protocols

If this is not what you wish to learn about, go to the table of contents.

Section I: Basic Protocols [PROTOCOL01]

This section will begin Chapter 2: Universal Union Protocols and elaborate on some day-to-day basic protocols needed for every MPF unit. If this is not what you wish to learn about, go to the table of contents.

Basic Protocols

As an MPF Unit, you will be expected to do some things when you go on-duty. The very first thing you must do is make sure you are equipped with your standard equipment. As a recruit, your equipment is as follows:
-Standard MPF Uniform
---Gloves
---Kevlar
---Boots
---Gasmask
-Standard MPF Flashlight
-Standard MPF Stunstick/Stunbaton
-Standard MPF 9mm USP-Match
-Standard MPF MP7
-Standard MPF Grenade(s)
---Flash
---Smoke
---Regular
-Datapad
-Standard MPF Nightvision
-Elite MPF Uniform
---Extra Kevlar
---Reinforced Facemask
---Anti-Slip Combat Boots with Steel-Toe Reinforcements
---Colored Markings for Quick Identification
-Facemask Radio
-Utility Belt
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once you are sure that you are fully equipped, you should radio in your on-duty status.
"Unit ##### is 10-8, standing by." Or something to that affect.
When you are going off-duty, you should radio in your off-duty status.
"Unit ##### is 10-7, off-duty." Or something to that affect.
After radioing in your status, you are ready for duty. Higher-Commanding units have complete control over you and it would be best if you obeyed their orders. Patrolling is one of the main protocols of the MPF force, it is their standard directive. If you are supervised by an .03 or higher you may leave the Nexus and patrol. This is the most basic protocol for all MPF units.

This concludes Section I: Basic Protocols of Chapter 2. Next is Section II: Combat Protocols. If this is not what you wish to learn then go to the table of contents.

Section II: Combat Protocols [PROTOCOL02]

This is Section II: Combat Protocols. In this section you will learn about protocols which should be followed in a combat situation. If this is not what you wish to learn then return to the table of contents.

Combat Protocols

As an MPF unit, it is your duty to maintain order in a City. However, order is not always so easily maintained. Situations may occur in where you need to combat Anti-Citizens and other members of an unrest structure. These protocols will help you maintain order in the most chaotic combat conditions.

Protocol 1 - The Radio

No matter what happens, whether you're patrolling, chasing down an Anti-Citizen, arresting a citizen, or in a combat situation always radio in your current status and location. This will keep the MPF organized and a much larger threat.

Protocol 2 - Commanding Units

When in a potentially dangerous situation, it is always important to seek out the aide or opinion of a commanding unit. Commanding units will order you into a situation which will potentially save your life. Always, always, always locate and obey commanding unit instructions.

Protocol 3 - Anti-Citizen Combat

When fighting an Anti-Citizen or a group of Anti-Citizens, it is always important to find cover. Hard cover is cover which will withstand bullets and other such attacks. Soft cover will break away after hits. It's always important to find good, hard cover when fighting. Secondly, make sure that you use all weapons on-hand. Grenades are good for flushing out Anti-Citizens under cover. Suppressive fire can keep them in cover wheras a combination of the two results in heavy casualties for the opposing party.

Protocol 4 - Breaching

When faced with locked doors, the MPF have a way of unlocking them. There are two ways to do this: 1 is to set up a breach while the other is to shoot the lock on the door. Units will position themselves as such:
KEY:
D = DOOR, X = UNIT, P = POINTMAN, - = WALL, [] = EMPTY SPACE
---------------------D-------------------------
[][][][][][][][][]XX[]PX[][][][][][][][][][][]
In the diagram below, units are positioned outside the door like such. The pointman is the unit which shoot the lock, then the units storm in and stick to the walls. Shooting at every Anti-Citizen they see, they sweep the building. Smoke grenades can also be used if Anti-Citizen activity is known to be in the area. Breaching is a very important protocol and should be one of the first that comes to mind.

This concludes Section II: Combat Protocols of Chapter 2. The next section, Section III: Arrest Protocols is next. The next section will teach you about data sheets and how to fill them out. If you do not wish to learn about this, then go to the table of contents.

Section III: Arrest Protocols [PROTOCOL03]

Welcome to Section III: Arrest Protocols. In this section, you will learn about data sheets and how to fill them out. If you do not wish to learn about this, then go to the table of contents.

Data Sheets

When arresting a citizen for any reason, you must fill out a data sheet. Data sheets are accessed using the /viewdata command on your data pad. When you are viewing a citizens data, the sheet should look like this:

Citizen Name:
Citizen ID:
Crimes Reported:

Here is an example for a loyalist citizen named John Doe:

Citizen Name: John Doe
Citizen ID: 12345
Crimes: None
Crimes Reported: Contraband Location, Civil Unrest Structures.

Here is another example for an amputated Anti-Citizen named Doe John:

Citizen Name: Doe John
Citizen ID: 54321
Crimes: Capitol Malcompliance/10822/SeC
Crimes Reported: None
Report of Amputation: Public - 10822/SeC

This is how data sheets should be filled out for citizens. If a citizen reaches 6 points, rations are withheld for only twice a day. In Section IV: MPF Verdict Protocols, you will learn about verdicts and how they are issued. This concludes Section III: Arrest Protocols.

Section IV: MPF Verdict Protocols [PROTOCOL04]

In this section, you will learn about the different verdicts and how they are issued. If this is not what you wish to learn, then go back to the table of contents.

MPF Verdicts

Verdicts are organized as such: Level 1 to Level 4 verdicts. Level 4 is the lowest verdict whereas Level 1 is the highest. Here are the verdicts and what a citizen does to receive that verdict.

Level 4 Verdict - 1 Point/Re-Education

Uncivil Behavior - Running, Jumping, Crouching, or otherwise uncivil behavior in public and private areas. Yelling is also under this category.
Uncivil Speech - Using words which are not of proper grammar.
Malcompliance - Neglecting an indirect or direct order from an MPF unit.
Civil Disrespect - Disrespecting the MPF or CWU.
Contraband - Level 4 Contraband
--Includes Health Kits
--Non-Issued Combine Foods or Drinks
--Non-Issued Literature
--Other Non-Issued Articles (Do not cause harm)
Littering - Littering
Inaction - Not notifying an MPF unit of a crime.
Loitering - Doing nothing in a public area.

Level 3 Verdict

A Level 3 Verdict is given if the citizen has 3 or more points for any Level 4 verdict.

Level 2 Verdict

Assault - Attacking a citizen accidentally or intentionally.
Conspiracy - Plotting to do something illegal/encouraging others to do something illegal.
Low-Level Trespassing - Walking on the catwalks or entering Employee only areas is considered Low-Level Tresspassing.
Vandalism - Vandalism of Citizen-Owned property.
Theft - Stealing from a citizen.
Level 3 Contraband - Contraband which includes drugs, zipties, radios, non-standard clothing, and Universal Union equipment such as a stunstick.

Level 1 Verdict

Homicide - Murder of a fellow citizen.
Policide - Murder of a MPF Unit.
Sociocide - Anything which disrupts the socio-stability of the city.
Union Tresspassing - Tresspassing onto Union property.
District 2 Tresspassing - Tresspassing into District 2
Anti-Civil Conspiracy - Plotting to murder a fellow citizen or do level 1 verdict crimes.
Union Vandalism - Vandalising Union Property.
Inspection Absence - Not being present in an inspection.
Contraband - Weaponry, harmful chemicals, or breaches are all Level 1 contraband. Unrest Structure uniforms are also considered Level 1 Contraband.
Capitol Malcompliance - Being a member of a civil unrest structure.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Punishments for these crimes are as follows:
Level 4 - +1 Points/Re-Education
Level 3 - +3 Points/Re-Education/Detainment for 15 minutes.
Level 2 - +5 Points/Re-Education/Interrogation/Detainment for 30 minutes.
Level 1 - +12 Points/Detainment/Interrogation/Amputation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This concludes Section IV: MPF Verdict Protocols and Chapter 2: Universal Union Protocols.
<:: Console Logged Off. ::>
<:: STAND-BY ::>
There we go, I uploaded the logs of it.
It's in the early stages, some sort of debate about the ranks. Officer is supposed to be higher than Elite Protection Unit.
Eh, I'm not so much into the protocol side of things.
Man, I bet High Command is going to demote me for this log. It is pitiful.
Too tired to care, right now, but I'm going to regret it.

Anyways...
Unit 10822 ending log. The time is 3:10.

<::|Time 4:38 PM; April 07
<::|LOG 1 ENDED|::>

<::|Disconnecting from database...

<::|Connection Lost|::>

(My first log... I dislike this "starter" immensely, but I'm too lazy to fish my minds for an interesting event that occurred.
I probably need to put in some extra back-story, or whatever, but not right now. I think you people can understand what's going on, just not entirely. Which is good.
As you can no-doubt tell, Johnathan Issac is a citizen who joined the Universal Union's Metropolitan Force/Metro Police Force/Civil Protection.
Post feedback below, since this probably sucked terribly and I need to find a way to develop my character in these short logs to you.
The character is all ready developed, I just don't know how to portray all of the intricacies of his personality to you. Perhaps a more detailed log, in the future, with dialogue and all of that.
If I recall, MPF facemasks in this cannon have voice recording devices to log all that happens around a unit, in-case something happens.
Eh, oh well.
Digressing... Post feedback. I need to improve. Yeah.)

<::|./Unit10822
<::|./Logs

<::|Time 7:57 PM; April 07
<::|LOG 2 CREATED|::>

Okay then, today has been FULL of some... Strange occurrences, to say the least.
I don't even know how to describe what happened into a log...
A unit from NOVA has given me authorization, luckily, to important an audio file into this. As of right now, it only records audio so... I'll do my best to try and describe some of the circumstances.

Shuffling is heard in the background. The soft footsteps of approximately two people on pavement are heard by the microphone's sensitive audio.

Looks like I already have some explaining to do!
Well, it was around 4 PM. It was getting chilly outside, but luckily our uniforms have some-sort of temperature regulator. Citizens were heading inside the apartments and we were simply patrolling as usual. Suddenly, we got a request from a citizen who had apparently... Well, if memory serves, he said his location and was about to explain his problem when it cut to static.
Unfortunately, I and unit 42764 were the closest to the entrance to District 2, where the man said that he resided. Some of the skeptics in the force told me that it was most likely a trap of some sort; not a single citizen has ever been attacked by necrotics in District 2 unless they're mentally unfit. We set up ropes and even a sign that led into a subway system that declared it to be infested with the alien [CENSORED]. It was a sort of unspoken rule in the force that if a citizen was stupid enough to wander inside of there, he deserved to die.
Regardless, the Universal Union needed to investigate. Our job is to keep order, and if a citizen wanders in there and never returns... There is a chance that some of the warnings and even the small blockade leading into the subway could have been destroyed.
Anyways, I digress.
The units are walking, and voices are heard among them. The voices are unnervingly similar; mechanized sounding. The change in voice is caused by a small vocoder in their facemasks.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: I can't believe we got stuck here. The closest ones to the entrance to D2. Can you BELIEVE it?
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: I know. I'd better be promoted or transferred.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Mmhmm. HELIX, dammit. They can't process the applications fast enough!
At this point, a cackle is heard as the radios in the units' facemasks glare.
CCA-AURA.01.23421 "<:: Units 10822 and 42762. Unit 23421 10-76 your 10-20 for assist. Proceed into D2; Subway until I arrive.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: 10-4."
The radio shuts off, and the units continue walking. The low buzz of a Combine forcefield is heard, slowly getting louder as the units approach it.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: I swear, if this guy is alive I'm arresting him. He's earned it. Trespassing into D2 subway. He's getting amputated."
No response is heard from the other unit, although a form of non-verbal communication between the units may have ensued. The buzzing grows deafeningly loud and the microphone emits a loud static noise before slowly returning to normal. It is apparent that the units have passed through the forcefield.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: D2. I hate this place."
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: Remember that time a recruit wandered in here, patrolling?"
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Don't remind me, I was part of the squad that was on-point in the sweep."
CCA-AURA.03.42754 "<:: Sorry. Sweeping is annoying."
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Damn straight. Besides, I didn't even get PROMOTED. I swear, it is harder to get promoted around here-"
They stop as an ear-piercing shriek emanates from below them. It originates somewhere to their northwest.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: [CENSORED]. Audio violation, I know, but that needed to be said. There are definitely necrotics around.
The sound of equipment shuffling is evidently heard. A gun is loaded, sounding like a 9mm USP-Match; the standard issue gun for the MPF. The other sounds like an MP7.
CCA-AURA.03.42754 "<:: Since you obviously have much more experience taking point..."
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Right, right..."
A button is clicked and the radio cackles on.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Units 10822 and 42754 10-20 D2. 10-76 D2 Subway. Hold few reinforcements in-case immediate RIPCORD is required. Possibility of necrotics. Status on exogens is unknown."
The radio cackles and dies, the message displayed for all of the MPF to read. The two walk noisily over to the staircase leading into the subway. Water dripping, probably from one of the old rusted pipes in the subways, is heard. A ghastly scent flows outward, being filtered by the units masks. It smells faintly of blood and rotting corpses. Flies buzz noisily inside, unable to be seen in the expansive darkness. The two units look in, drawing their flashlights.
Unit 10822 holds the flashlight next to his USP-Match and Unit 42754 clips it onto his MP7 for easy use. They slowly descend, darkness encompassing them as they reach the bottom of the stairs. The subway has few working lights, and the lights that do work flicker endlessly. The cement walls are coated in grime and some blood. At the bottom of the subway stairs, a rusted fence-gate resides. The remnants of a stainless steel lock, no doubt implemented by the Universal Union, lies on the floor in front of the gate. A light flickers noisily next to it, disorienting the two units.
A white sign stands out. It appears much cleaner than the rest of its surroundings, such as the molding wooden benches and garbage-covered floors, and stands in the glow of the flickering lights.
One of the units shifts, reading the sign aloud:
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: The Universal Union has deemed this place under quarantine due to safety concerns... Collaboration is greatness. Oh!"
The unit makes a gagging noise, blood covering a part of the sign. It is fresh as well. The blood covers the top two lines of the Universal Union's motto.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Great, someone is definitely dead."
The radio cackles to life as the unit radios in, his voice calm despite the frightening circumstances.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Unit 10822. 10-20 D2 Subway entrance. Lock appears to be broken, fresh blood found in the vicinity. Requesting immediate sweep and back-up. 10-4?"
The radio remains silent, emanating nothing but static for a few seconds until a unit radios in,
Somebody, "<:: 10-4. Continue initial sweep. Units will be placed on stand-by."
The radio dies. Silence resides in the room and the two units stand still, pondering about what has just been said.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: So, we're going to die. They won't send it reinforcements at all."
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: Right... Damn High Command!"
The units remain silent, sighing. The sound of their footsteps echoes loudly in the underground tunnels as the front fence is slowly unlocked... The blackness surrounding them is suffocating and the waning beams from their flashlights seem to pale in comparison to the expansive darkness. They walk forward in silence, their hearts beating and their feet clicking on the floor with each step. They walk for what seems like hours, but in reality is merely a few minutes. Their back press to the wall and the uniforms make a scraping noise. They seem to have entered a large room. Something scurries across the floor, most likely a rat.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Shh! There's a rat in here. That means there might not be any necrotics in this particular stop."
The units sigh in relief, but remain alert. They slowly keep against the wall, sweeping the room.
It appears to be some sort of station stop, their footsteps echoing loudly. The sound of metal creaking, from an abandoned and rusting train, is the loudest entity in the room. They finish their sweep, finding nothing of interest.
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: Press onwards, I suppose."
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Unfortunately. Look, keep close. If you hear ANYTHING, make sure you stay alert. Fire at anything that you can hear. Protocol, in this place, is officially dead."
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: You seem to know a lot about D2. I'm glad we decided you would be pointman."
Neither of the units laugh at this, but they continue on wards. The rusty subway trains are all at the station platform, parked in a not-so-neat row. The units looks at them and decide that they could make it past the sparking tracks by moving through the three trains parked. They slowly step inside the first, the door rusted and fallen to the floor. The train creaks loudly as they step inside, but not a single living thing is in sight. They continue their advances, moving across the three trains and making it to the other side. The darkness gets on the unit's nerves, save for the flickering light which simply drives them paranoid.
They continue walking, out the other end of the subway trains and onto the station platform. They look over the area, sweeping it. They gasp, shaking.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: ... Citizen. He's dead."
The gasps of the units are heard, but they don't approach the body.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: Necrotics are definitely nearby. Keep an eye on the body, just in case it's a necrotic as well. I'm not daring to check."
No response is heard, except for heavy breathing. The platform reeks of death, but the facemasks still keep the pungent odor away. They sweep the platform, not finding a single necrotic in the area. They must have fled down the subway tracks, deeper into the expansive tunnels. The units sigh, ready to exit the station and radio in their discoveries when a noise is heard. Unit 42764 raises his MP7 immediately, aiming towards the parked trains.
He grips it tightly, the flashlight shining on it.
CCA-AURA.01.23421 "<:: Units status-"
The MP7 flashes, bullets flying out of the gun. Unit 42764 was a nervous wreck, shaking. The sudden speech from the unit, 23421, didn't help at all. The unit falls down, clutching his stomach. His kevlar uniform defending him from some of the bullets, but two of them are clean shots. They go through his front and out the other side.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: [CENSORED]! Radio in for aide, immediately."
Shuffling is heard and something is heard making a click noise. 10822 unclips a "borrowed" medkit from his utility belt.
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: Units in D2 to High Command! Unit down. Friendly fire. Requesting immediate HELIX assistance!"
Unit 42764 turns to 10822, watching him with the stolen medkit.
CCA-AURA.03.42764 "<:: You aren't HELIX. That's breaking protocol, you know."
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: I could always let him die and watch as you're convicted of policide."
The units stop quarreling. Help may arrive soon, who knows. More than likely it will take a full 30 minutes.
10822 opens the medkit, and pulls out a small field knife. He takes the knife, cleanly cutting off 23421's uniform off in order to get to the wounds. He takes out four packets of hemostatics. He rips off two of the packet, pouring them onto the bullet wounds. The bleeding stops, and 23421's breathing becomes labored. Wasting no time, he takes a syringe out and fills it with a liquid. Not bothering to clean the injection site, seeing how the unit is all ready bleeding openly onto the dirty floor, stabs him with the needle and pushes on the plunger. 3ccs of morphine seep in the wound, causing his breathing to become even worse. He then grabs a syringe, filling it with an anti-narcotic, and jabs him with it. His breathing evens out and he lies there, still bleeding partially. A bovie pen is taken from the medkit, and reaching into the wound with amateur skill, 10822 seals up the remaining bleeding blood vessels. He grins, feeling at ease. He takes, what appears to be thread, and starts to stitch the unit up.
CCA-AURA.03.10822 "<:: We need to get this guy down to the med-bay, ASAP. Put him on some anti-biotics. He's going to get sick, but he'll live. Now you'll only be charged with assault, or whatever it is called."
The units are silent, picking up the barely concious and injured 23421.

Hah, that's about all I'm going to upload into this log. Long story short, we carried the guy out and met with the one reinforcement they sent: an .03 from HELIX. How nice.
Anyways, I wasn't demoted like I thought I would be. The HELIX Divisional was impressed by my work! He said he wanted to speak with me. I hope it's about speeding up my application I sent months ago to enter HELIX. The excitement of the day aside, I also have some bad news.
Unit 42764 was demoted from .03 to .04 and stripped of his right to use firearms. The circumstances of the situation kept him from being deserviced, luckily. He has a chance to make it back to .03, but I heard stories that the ever unwavering lord which is the Sectoral was not pleased with what occurred today. An order was passed down that the dispatch in-charge of sending the units out to aide us be demoted. I heard it was a divisional. Of AURA.
My chances at ascension may be yet secured, unless I make it into HELIX.
Anyways, unit 10822 ending log.

<::|Time 9:00 PM; April 07
<::|LOG 2 ENDED|::>

(I hope you enjoyed that... I tried to type up something better than my first log.
Criticisms are welcomed because I know it is terrible.)

<::|./UnionRoster
<::|./HighCommand

<::|Time 10:20 AM; April 08
<::|Session Started|::>

Unit Identifier Number | Unit Rank | Unit Indentifier

Unit 22801 | Supreme Commander [SupCOMM] | UUOTA-SECTOR.SupCOMM.22801
Unit 07524 | Sectoral Commander [SeC] | UU-SECTOR.SeC.07524
Unit 95673 | Co-Sectoral Commander [CSC] | UU-SECTOR.CSC.95673
Unit 34567 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | UU-AURA.DvL.34567
Unit 20856 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | CCA-AURA.DvL.20856
Unit 34753 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | MPF-AURA.DvL.34753
Unit 09234 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | UU-HELIX.DvL.09234
Unit 40523 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | CCA-HELIX.DvL.40523
Unit 00666 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | MPF-HELIX.DvL.00666
Unit 06532 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | UU-NOVA.DvL.06532
Unit 45356 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | CCA-NOVA.DvL.45356
Unit 34267 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | MPF-NOVA.DvL.34267
Unit 96969 | Divisional Leader [DvL] | UU-GHOST.DvL.96969
Unit 38046 | Officer [OfC] | UU-AURA.OfC.38046
Unit 23460 | Officer [OfC] | CCA-AURA.OfC.23460
Unit 56319 | Officer [OfC] | MPF-AURA.OfC.56319
Unit 10456 | Officer [OfC] | UU-HELIX.OfC.10456
Unit 39852 | Officer [OfC] | CCA-HELIX.OfC.39652
Unit 08129 | Officer [OfC] | MPF-HELIX.OfC.08129
Unit 10101 | Officer [OfC] | UU-NOVA.OfC.10101
Unit 10365 | Officer [OfC] | CCA-NOVA.OfC.10365
Unit 23643 | Officer [OfC] | MPF-NOVA.OfC.23643

<::| A reminder to all units! |::>
<::| The changes listed in this roster need to be fulfilled immediately! |::>
<::| At this point, Officers and above are considering in High Command. |::>
<::| Roster is set to change with the addition of new divisions as well as forces in the UUOTA/COTA/OTA forces. |::>
<::| Unity is strength - Inaction is Conspiracy - Collaboration is Greatness |::>

Notes on changed protocol:

Officer is a rank higher than EpU. All current EpU units should be promoted to OfC and OfC units should be demoted to EpU.
The three levels of the Union's forces have been established.
--UU is higher than CCA and MPF. How this impacts the force will be listed in several bulletins to come.
--CCA is higher than MPF, or at least more broad.
--MPF is the lowest.
---Please note these changes vary depending on the city. The listings above are for your city, City 18.
All officers in GHOST have been demoted until further notice, due to recent events.
GLOBE is no longer considered a level of the Union operations and so all units in GLOBE are now in UU.

<::|Time 10:32; April 08
<::|SESSION ENDED|::>

(This is mainly for some backstory, I guess.)

Ethan Mirder
April 08(?); 8:00-9:00 AM
Dear Reader,
If you have found this diary of sorts, there is a high possibility that you are a member of the Combine Civil Authority, or CCA, or perhaps a unit of the Metropolitan Force, MPF. If that is the case, I have something to say to you.
Congratulations.
You have lowered the amount of Anti-Citizens in this city by one, no doubt. I would never give up this notebook of mine; burning the journal would be my first thought rather than abandon it. Therefore, you must have captured me.

Now, if you are not a member of the Universal Union or its loyalist factions... Hello.
I am Ethan Mirder, secret Anti-Citizen. I do not openly oppose the UU, nor do I condone of its actions. I am a member of the Civil Workers Union, soon to be Civil Workers Party, and am currently considered a loyalist by all standards.
This is a ruse, I use it merely to promote my liberties.
Granted, I'm not part of any organized rebellion faction of any sort, but I do small things to irritate the UU. When they are in pursuit, I might happen to drop my Union Civil Housing keys... directly in front of the officer who is in pursuit. Small things which I can't be called out for, but which help other citizens.
Anyways, I hope you now understand more about me. This is how rebellion against the UU should be done, however there is one group of people which propaganda speaks of that operates... differently.
The Resistance.

I have only seen one sheet of their propaganda. It read something like:
"Do not despair, citizens! The Combine will suffer for what it has done.
Resist!

I immediately gave it to an officer to have it torn down, but its words struck me.
Resist. What is the definition of resist?
The Resistance themselves do not openly oppose the Union. They work in the shadows. Ordinary citizens whom I see every day might be members of the Resistance. They are no doubt intelligent, as their members seem to survive under the oppressive rule of the Universal Union. There are casualties, certainly, but I have yet to see one of them publicly amputated. That means the Union is unable to capture them alive.
Truly, a victory for the Resistance. Detainment, I've heard, is hellish.
I digress, however. Resist means to oppose the Union in all forms, but not openly and stupidly. Survival is key, opposition is the lock, and the Union is the door.
As a door opens, new opportunities arrive. The Resistance are the collective group of survivalists. They are the key to unlocking the Union.
That is what I believe...

This journal is getting off-topic, I've merely been stating my philosophies to all of you.
However, the writing of this diary has assured one thing for me. I have committed Capital Malcompliance.
Its existence is the very embodiment of my opposition to the Union. Destroying it is not heard of, I can't possibly do that. This is the anchor that ties me down to the Earth and into the awaiting depths of the Combine sea.

On the topic of philosophy, however, I need to write one thing down before I forget it entirely.
The phrases which the Union uses to govern us, or rather to keep us in check, is the following:

Unity is Strength
Inaction is Conspiracy
Collaboration is Greatness

Is this philosophy, or merely propaganda to keep us afraid? The dispatch voice booms over the city hourly, giving us "friendly reminders." It says things like:
"Inaction is conspiracy. Report counter-behavior to a Civil Protection team immediately."
Reminding us constantly that we are under watch, sometimes even by our own kind. I know that the CCA, the MPF, the UU... All of those factions of the Civil Protection are run by citizens. It's hard to believe they could be so cruel...

My mind is rambling, I need to use this journal now for the purposes our ancestors have decided it be used. If this journal survives the eons, let it be a instrument of history.
The year is probably 2014, sometime around that. I don't remember what year it is, the UU don't let us have calendars. Merely watches which tell the time to the nearest half-hour. Not even watches, but public clocks that people refer to as watches. It's a disgrace, really. A disgrace for all that human-kind has striven to work for.
The Earth is now under the control of the Universal Union, as they call themselves. The Universal Union rules us with an iron fist, most of the population dead. It divides us into groups of people, sending us into cities. The cities are cold and unforgiving, named merely with numbers. Families are ripped from their home-town and mixed with people who speak different languages and have different cultures. It is an attempt to keep us divided and unable to form alliances with each other.
Clever, I'll give them that.
The cities, as I said, are harsh and unforgiving. They serve us three meals a day in the form of rations. Rations are a purple, plastic bag filled with "citizen supplements." It contains an aluminium can of foul-tasting water called, "Breen's Water" as well as a container full of mush; the container is what we eat for sustenance. Many citizens are starving and poorly undernourished.
Pitiful, I know, but bear with me those from the distant future.
People try to get on the Union's good side by aiding their officers. They join organizations like the CWU and apply for loyalist status. This gives them personal liberties in the city, such as the option to run local businesses. Better furniture and "enhanced" rations. Some loyalists even apply for admission into the Universal Union's Civil Protection. I don't particularly know the benefits of such an act, but I know performing it is like selling out your entire race.
Disgusting!
That's about all I really have to say, I think. I'm probably overlooking some details, but that is because I am in this time. I hope that if you are from the distant future, this description is helpful for you.

Anyways, now to the purpose of this diary.
Today was uneventful. I walked outside, taking a deep breath of air. It was chilly, very chilly. A cold wind blew over us. I doubt we're in the United States, as April is usually much warmer than what I experienced.
My thin, faded citizen jumpsuit didn't protect me much, so I spent most of the day indoors. The crumbling UCH apartment building had thin walls and the floors had holes in them. I was lucky enough to secure a room on the top floor, where the roof is solid concrete. I don't need to worry about eavesdroppers from above, and the floor has a nice carpeting on it (thanks to my Loyalist status.)
I pondered the world, and shuffled through my belongings. My suitcase is modest, containing only a spare change of jumpsuit and an old fountain-pen. This journal I happened to find underneath the oven.
That is probably confusing, let me explain.
People in the UCH are moved frequently, usually because they are caught doing an illegal act (such as running.) If you are caught, you are immediately moved from your comfortable abode and moved to UCH-B, UCH-C, or UCH-D, depending on your crime. UCH-A, where I live, is the cleanest and best maintained of the others. The UCH buildings degrade from B, being the best, to D, being the worst. The person who previously owned this apartment, a man I know nothing of, was convicted and I was allowed to move to a higher floor. The journal probably belonged to him.

I digress, back to my day.
The reason I looked underneath the oven was simple. I dropped my can of water, accidentally. It isn't well-tasting, but it is all I have.
The journal I found was empty, except for a few torn pages. I'd estimate around 2-6 pages were torn out, containing God knows what. I pondered about what to do with it, when I decided that this would be the evidence of my malcompliance.
Evidence of my hate; physical proof that the Union was out-of-favor. Everything came into clarity and I breathed, not in sadness or pity for our kind, but in enlightenment. In hope. An emotion which has been lost to many of us.
I can't explain why writing has filled me with such emotion, but that is what happened.
Anyways, I feel like that is all I have to write. My transgression against the Union is complete, for now. If I am not arrested in the near future, then it is probable that there will be more entries.

Future entries will include descriptions of events that partake in my life, if I feel the need that such events need to be remembered.
I have a stellar memory, so my descriptions will be well written (with my terrible writing skills.)

RESIST.

UNITY IS STRENGTH.
COLLABORATION IS GREATNESS.
INACTION IS OUR RIGHT.

-Ethan Mirder

(Hurray, my third update to this. I introduced a second person, a citizen who secretly opposes the Combine. No, he isn't part of the Resistance, if that's what you're thinking. He's merely approving of their saying, "RESIST!" I hope this was good, it was mainly his reflection on some of the things he has seen. Nothing really happens to Ethan, since he's a citizen. He doesn't take many risks and the Resistance probably wouldn't recruit him since he's so secretive about his opposition to the Universal Union.
Criticisms are much welcomed, because I need to improve on my writing! Thanks you.)

Last edited:

LordFire

King of Fire
Thank you...
Unfortunately, you have no criticisms. This outrages me!
I am sick with anger.

Aside from that, ahem, reference...
I hope you enjoyed it. I decided my log to be in the point-of-view of a member of the Combine's Civil Protection instead of an average citizen or Resistance member.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom