• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Half Life 2 - City 18

LordFire

King of Fire
ROLEPLAY STATUS: OPEN FOR NEW PLAYERS!

Good evening everyone!
I'm creating this roleplay in an attempt to really refine my skills. I used to be very good at roleplaying, then neglected it for a very, very long time.
I hope you'll find this interesting enough and decide to join!
Please, as a side-note, this roleplay is based heavily off of Half Life 2 with my own twists to the cannon.

Setting

The year is 2016. Earth is in an almost post-apocalyptic state.

It started in the year 2000. Scientists at the Black Mesa Research Facility in New Mexico started an experiment. The experiment caused an event known as a Resonance Cascade, opening a portal to an alien planet. This alien planet is a collection of floating islands, a borderworld. This planet is called Xen and it houses a variety of menacing alien creatures. These creatures have barely any sentient thought and practically live to kill.
Not only did the Resonance Cascade cause the portal to this borderworld to open, it also caused an event known as the Portal Storms.

The Portal Storms are and will forever be a phenomenon of catastrophic destruction. A portal storm opens up a large, blue portal. The portal is shaped more like a tornado rather than the traditional portal that people imagine. It sends out a large shockwave, devastating anything nearby it and shaking buildings and people miles away from its center. The storms, true to their name, are portals. The portals warp in alien creatures from Xen, such as the antlion and the headcrab. These storms cropped up around the planet, devastating millions of people. This was not the worst to come, however, for the human race.

A superior race of aliens, often referred to as the Universal Union (UU), notices Earth's peril. They use the portal storms to their advantage, warping in their own troops. Earth, in a state of disarray from the portals and Xenian creatures mobilize a military force to try and stop the Universal Union from conquering their planet. This starts the war known as the Seven Hour War. Earth was conquered and surrender was assured by a politician, Dr. Wallace Breen, and at this point the Universal Union had annexed the Earth. Much of Earth's natural resources were drained and much of their population was dead. The Universal Union moved the humans to genocide camps, murdering off thousands of the remaining humans daily. What remained on Earth was a tragedy.

All the children were killed. Earth's resources, such as water, were shipped away to other Universal Union planets. The rest of the resources left on Earth were polluted beyond use. The once great seas were now devoid of water, and some even infested with bio-engineered worms which would tear people to shreds. Technology was restricted, people not even allowed to have the basics that we have in today's society (cellphones, radios, etc.) Human live was ruled oppressively. Not all was lost, however.

The Universal Union created cities. These cities were designated by a single number (ex. City 17). People from different languages and cultures were forcibly moved to these cities to try and divide the human race. Families were split apart. Friends separated. What remained of human society was a wreck. However, there was the slightest shred of hope. The Universal Union allowed the human race to live. They had an insignificant chance to usurp them.

The cities created were simply human cities, remodeled. Areas of the city were closed off, signs were created to label areas, and the addition of a massive Nexus-building were some of the new "features" of the cities. The Nexus buildings served as the Universal Union's base of operations in a city. They were nearly impenetrable and citizens who entered told tales of the unending hallways and vast torture chambers. 30 minutes inside one of the Universal Union's detainment centers was enough to make a man go insane.
Earth was also "equipped" with a suppression field. Pregnancy was now not possible. The human race could not reproduce, and its dwindling numbers seemed to highlight the necessity of victory over the Universal Union. If they didn't win, they would be extinct. Simple as that.

Nonetheless, humans sought to survive. Many citizens of these cities sought ways to repay the Universal Union for their "kindness." They saw the invasion of Earth not as a genocide, but as a gift. Others thought differently, merely thinking of a way to make the best of a terrible situation. Citizens applied for Loyalist status, which gave them more personal liberties (the ability to start up small businesses selling Universal Union authorized products, etc). Some took it a step further, joining what came to be known as the Civil Workers Union (CWU).
Last but not least, citizens simply skipped all of that meaningless loyalism. They went straight to the heart and applied for admittance into the Universal Union's policing force, Civil Protection.

You are a citizen in City 18. Your family is gone, you have no friends. You live in constant fear that the Universal Union may come take you for a crime that you didn't even know you committed. You have nothing but a suitcase filled with a thin, blue citizen jumpsuit and a purple bag of Universal Union rations. Weapons are unheard of and no one dares rebel against the Civil Protection's orders. Contraband, such as non-standard foodstuffs, are ridiculous to even dream of. You can't get anything, but you desperately search for a way to rebel against the monotony. Perhaps you want to keep life as-is? Become a Loyalist? Join the Civil Workers Union? Perhaps submit an application to try and join the Civil Protection force? Maybe... Just maybe you want to try and attract the attention of the mythical Resistance? Or start up your own organized rebellion. Who knows.
The world is yours to shape in City 18.

For further information about the Half Life universe, go to The Half-Life Overwiki.

City 18

City 18, a city of endless possibilities. It is not located in the United States, but instead in South America. Nothing surrounds it, however, that could possibly give it away. It looks like an industrialized city, rotting away like the rest of the world. Every citizen arrives in the city via train. The train leads out into the city's plaza. The plaza is a large area, filled with empty buildings just perfect for setting up a shop. In the center is a large telescreen, displaying continuous broadcasts from this city's administrator, Dr. Kazeen Seldren. He warns you about the dangers of many things, such as reproduction, imaginary thinking, and instinct. A large, white sign emblazed with the symbol of the Union reads:

DISTRICT 1, PLAZA

UNITY IS STRENGTH
INACTION IS CONSPIRACY
COLLABORATION IS GREATNESS

INSTINCT IS THE ENEMY

The plaza is filled with various amounts of litter and the cement sidewalks are grossly dirty. The roads, once black, are faded and cracked. No one has any cars, so the roads remain unused. They are treated just like sidewalks. As you continue moving in the plaza, you find another white sign which leads to four, separate apartment buildings.

DISTRICT 1, UNION CIVIL HOUSING BLOCK

UNITY IS STRENGTH
INACTION IS CONSPIRACY
COLLABORATION IS GREATNESS

CONSULT YOUR CIVIL WORKERS UNION MANAGER TO SECURE A ROOM.

Every person who has been in the city long enough knows that some citizens have to bunk with up to two-three members at a time. The apartments are overcrowded. Each apartment has a sign, reading off from left-to-right:

UCH-A
UCH-B
UCH-C
UCH-D

The building, apparently named UCH-A, appears the best kept of the other buildings. The others go downhill, becoming more dilapidated as you move from B to D.

Further onward, you see startling plate metal. It looks like any other Universal Union installment, but the contrast is frightening. From the grimy, dirty streets to the nearly-clean plate metal of the Union. A forcefield stands between the metal, humming loudly. A sign near it reads,

DISTRICT 2, ENTRANCE

AUTHORIZATION REQUIRED.

District 2, from what little you can see, appears to be a huge mess. It is a slum, where no citizens are allowed into. Absolutely none, unless they find a way to sneak inside or they are Loyalists. Even units avoid District 2, it posing a huge risk due to the amount of necrotics in the area.

Near the forcefield entrance to District 2 lies a building. Inside, it appears very empty. A few fences keep you from entering side hallways. The focus of the room is at the front. This is a ration dispensary area. Citizens are allowed to get their rations in this place whenever they are hungry. A citizen only has three ration coupons per day, and the rations served are less than satisfying. It is simply a purple bag filled with a foul-tasting water inside a aluminium can labeled, "Seldren's Reserve." The second item is a jar of mush, with a plastic spoon. It tastes horrid and it barely sustains you. It reads, "Universal Union Authorized Citizen Supplements."
As a result of these poor rations, many turn to becoming Loyalists who have more food per day. The food also seems to taste less like vomit, for whatever reason. All the citizens are malnourished, however, except the high-ranking members of the Civil Workers Union as well as favored Loyalists and Civil Workers Union members.

Finally, there is District 0. District 0 is a path leading away from the trainstation. It leads to the Nexus. Not a single citizen is allowed into that area unless they are Loyalists. A forcefield hums menacingly and an Armored Passenger Car (APC) stands guard. Scanners beep noisily, flashing their lights and snapping photographs of any person who gets close to the barrier.

(Okay, City 18 has those basic "landmarks." The areas in the Districts have their own buildings as well in which people can enter. Some are empty, suitable for shops, whereas others are filled. Storage areas, businesses, etc. It is for you to decide what those buildings are as you come across them, but you cannot make any of them pathways into District 2.)

Basic Information

This roleplay is based off of Valve's game, Half-Life 2 and so contains many of its themes.
In this roleplay, you are a citizen who has recently arrived to the city. Your background is yours to shape, so long as it isn't something like, "MAGIC MILITARY MAN FROM SPACE WHO WORKED AT APERTURE AND STUFZZ."
Knowledge about the Resistance is limited, all you know is that there is a person who posts propaganda telling people to Resist. Viewing of this propaganda is VERY, VERY rare. If you are caught not submitting the propaganda to a member of the Civil Protection, there is a chance you may be arrested and killed. If you die, you are dead. No magical resurrection.
Knowledge about Black Mesa and Aperture is also strictly prohibited. You know nothing of those two groups.
You also know absolutely nothing about zombies/antlions. The aliens you have seen, yes, but you don't know how to fight them. In many cases, you would be overpowered by them.
Weapons of any sort are prohibited unless you show reasonable explanations as to how you got them. You cannot "kill a cop" in order to obtain weapons. If a member of the Universal Union is murdered, then it sends an alert to all units on-duty including their last known location. Weapons belonging to the unit are "locked." They cannot be used unless you have the uniform of an Officer or higher (as it utilizes some of the uniqueness of a Civil Protection's uniform). The uniforms can not be taken off either, requiring a Divisional Leader's uniform to be removed.
As a citizen, you eat rations. You are highly malnourished. The rations also slowly corrupt you, making you forget why you hate the Universal Union (if you are trying to be a Rebel). You don't know about the brainwashing properties of the rations, however.
As a citizen, you live in CONSTANT FEAR of the Universal Union. This means you need to incorporate FearRP into this. You are not Gordon Freeman or Rambo. You are a scared, man/woman trying to make the best out of a terrible situation.

Even though you are a citizen, you have the option to join factions such as the Loyalists, the Civil Workers Union, the Civil Protection force, and even attempt to create your own rebellious faction/group of people doing whatever. Be sure to keep in mind that you know almost nothing about Black Mesa, Aperture, the Portal Storms, Xenians, the Universal Union, and that you are EXTREMELY afraid of being caught.

Remember, this is a post-apocalyptic world and you're a malnourished person. I can't stress this enough, but I usually find people powergaming their [CENSORED] off like there is no tomorrow. If I catch you doing that, I will make sure that such actions are voided from the roleplay.
Since I know how this roleplay is going to be "working," at the beginning most actions will be directed by me. As the roleplay progresses, you will be able to manage yourselfs/gain prominent positions in factions.

Roster

The roster is formatted so that the faction name appears first, then the people who are in the faction underneath.
The names of people in the roleplay go as such:
Code:
Full Name - Name of Character Owner - Character's Factions
Please do not metagame using the Roster. You can't find any of this information out unless you have some in-character method of doing it.

CITIZEN

Johnathan Issac - LordFire - Civil Protection | Combine Civil Authority
Ethan Mirder - LordFire - None

Civil Protection

CCA-AURA.03.10822 - LordFire - Citizen

Administrator

Dr. Kazeen Seldren - None - None

The Resistance

None

Character Applications

If you want to join this roleplay, then fill out the following character bio. All the applications to enter factions (such as Administrator, Civil Protection, etc.) are done in-character.

Code:
[COLOR="#008000"]Full Name:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]Age*:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]Gender:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]Brief Physical Description:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]Brief Personality Description**:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]Brief Backstory:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="#008000"]Aspirations***:[/COLOR]

* If you are under the age of 18 in this roleplay, then you will be dead. Most people alive in this time are 24-47, but 18+ is okay.
** Brief personality description must be brief! Your personality will be developed more in-depth inside the roleplay!
*** By this, I mean what do you want to do under the rule of the Universal Union. Join the Civil Protection? Resist? Etc.

Fill this out to the best of your ability! If I have issues with the "application", I'll either post a reply or PM you about it. Try to use grammar, it makes things so much easier to read.
Please remember that I reserve the right to deny your application. If it is unsatisfactory, we can discuss why and possible revisions via PM. I don't want to spam this with a ton of applications. You may only post one application in this roleplay thread. The rest must be managed via PM's.

Thank you for reading the above! Let me know if you have any questions about it (by posting in this forum). I hope that this roleplay thrives.
If you haven't already, check out my "fan-fic" based off of Half-Life 2! It might help with some of the cannon, but remember that this roleplay will have a much more broad and explained cannon than my fan-fic will ever have.
You might also want to join the group here as I might decide to add some information on the backstory of this roleplay, if it ever thrives.

Try to remember that this roleplay will try to be user-sustained. I'll be letting people join factions such as the Resistance or the Civil Protection force very easily for a time until I have a few people in this roleplay who know what they're doing.

I hope this doesn't die too quickly. Have fun!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom