• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Majora's Mask Gyorg Fish Thing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any advice on fighting Gyorg, boss of the Great Bay Temple? D:

I tried swimming into it with the Zora magic or whatever it's called, and that failed miserably. (Only got me halfway through the battle before I died) Plus he kept grabbing me with his teeth ;__;

What I did was shoot him with a Fire Arrow, then put on the Zora Mask. Charge the fins, then jump in the water. Z-Target Gyorg and then release the fins. Quickly go behind the pillar until Gyorg is out of sight and surface. The fins will still hit him even when the targeting goes off. I never got swallowed after doing this.

Beeker

Wild Card
It took me a while to think of a strategy to fight Gyorg. But here's what I do:

I find where Gyorg is while I'm on the platform, and shoot him with an arrow. When he's stunned. I get the Zora mask, jump into the water, and ram into him with the electricity. Once I hit him, I get back to the platform as soon as possible. It doesn't always work, as I'll get eaten occaisonally if I'm too slow. :P

Random Person

Just Some Random Person
I love fighting Gyorg because he is what all Zelda bosses should be. Difficult with more than one way to beat him. (Well... they don't ALL have to be difficult:))

There are several strategies to beating Gyorg. You can either wait until he jumps and shoot him in the mouth (to be on the safe side) or go to the edge of the platform and hit him with fins when he's in range. A substitute for this is that, you can jump in the water and do it.

After he is damaged, you jump in after him and hit him with whatever attack you want as a zora.( swim magic is the best one for a quick escape) Then, you can either swim away is a circle (which will most likely lead to your death) or hurry and try to jump back on the platform.

I find it fun to try and stay in the water through out the whole battle to make it an underwater fight. But when Gyorg starts charging after being hit, that proves to be extremely unlikely. If you want to try that, do it after you beat him the first time.

T

tmiln15

Gyorg was one of the most difficult zelda bosses i have ever faced.

The first time i battled gyorg i died.

The way i did it was that i stunned him with a fire arrow or ran into him with the zora magic barrier and quickly slashed him with the zora fins then when he got up i quickly got out of the water, and tried not to stay near the edge of the platform because when he rams the sides of it you will fall in the water and get hurt, (his chew attack is painful), just repeat that a couple of times and gyorg will die.

Chilfo Freeze

Emma Jean Stone
I just recently beat Gyorg. What a freakin' headache. I used fairies; just had to. Anyways, here is what I did:

1. I made sure I had fairies. This fish is the hardest boss IMO. I'm sure many others would agree.
2. I was very patient with it. It took a while for me to beat him.
3. Tactic I used: I stood in the middle of the platform until he attacked. Once he jumped, I dodged and then as soon as he faced me from the water, I aimed and fired the Zora fins. In this way, I stunned him quickly so that I could sink down and punch him a couple more times. Took awhile, but I believe this was the best tactic for me.

Patience is the key for this tactic. I probably took the harder route in beating him, but it depends on what kind of player you are. Either way, good luck!

Wow, everyone has their own way of defeating that fish. Because mine is completely different. It involved no arrow's, at all!
What I did was:
1. Equiped the Zora Mask on and then stay in the water with Gyorg
2. Stay close to Gyorg and always attack him with my fin's and eventually it will hit him.
3. Once it hits him, and he is stunned, I attack him again with my fins.

This way sounds really easy, it really does, but it does cause you to loose more hearts do to you being eaten, but if you stay Z-targeting him, and go into a sideway's circle, because he'll come to the side and eat you, he'll give up eventually and you can repeat the cycle over again.
I found that to be very easy, just need a few bottle's with fairies and you're good. :3

My method tends to be rather slow, but I never ever die doing it. ;-)
Wearing your Zora mask, stand in the center of the platform. Keep an eye on Gyorg (he releases bubbles to the surface of the water). He'll hit the platform trying to knock you off, but since you're in the middle you won't fall. He also will jump over the platform - sometimes high and sometimes low. When he does a low jump, use your magic shield ability (shield and B, I think) to stun him. He will fall in the water and lay on the bottom. Quick as you can, swim over and swim into his face using your magic shield.
I think this takes about 3 repetitions to take him out for good. If you run out of magic, there are jars. The hardest thing about this one is waiting for Gyorg to do a low jump. He's crafty. ;-)

Celeboy

Collecting Dust
what i did was to stay in the water as zora link and fired my fins at him. when he gets hit he falters and then swim into him with the electric shield up. the SWIM LIKE HELL away from him and rinse and repeat. if you run out of magic there are jars in the corners.

or you could just use a walkthrough...

Z

Zelda4Ever

Diving Lessons

I learned how to beat the big Fish yesterday. More accurately, I learned how to dive yesterday.

I've had this game since the day it came out and never could finish it because I could not beat that dastardly fish. I knew the strategy of shooting with arrows first from the platform, then jumping in and hitting him with the electric shield. I tried staying as the Zoran in the water and attacking that way.

But I wasn't a great swimmer or, rather, wasn't great at using the control pad to do things like turn fast when swimming or leap onto platforms. So I was always eaten, and I died a million deaths. Even with increased defense (all the fairies in the Ocean dungeon), with 5 bottles of health, etc. Death.

I took up the game a few weeks ago, again. Decided I'd finish it this time. When I got stuck with the fish again, I looked up some videos on Youtube to see someone else do it (yay for videos, and yay for ZeldaDungeon, that's where I discovered this site). Sometimes a visual will clue me in to what I'm doing wrong, rather than words.

What I saw was players who were not "jumping" into the water to attack the fish; they were diving. I'm not talking about getting into the water and hitting "B" and sinking down, which is the only "diving" I've seen described in most walkthru's I've read, and is all that is given in the actual game manual that came with the game. And I don't mean jumping in and then starting to swim while pushing forward (to go deeper). That's what I would try, but by the time Link actually got down and deep enough to hit the fish, the fish had recovered and ate Link for breakfast.

I'm talking about walking to any ledge (low or high) and doing the perfect swan dive that allows you to immediately go straight forward and deep into the water, and straight towards your Big Fish.

When you push the forward control, Zora/Link will do a proper dive if he's up high enough, just as Link will do. Pushing forward at lower levels will cause him to do a jump/somersault into the water. That would leave me totally disoriented to which way to go. Not good in a boss battle.

Here it is: stand at any ledge, Press and Hold "A", and then press Forward. You can now Dive.

Here's how you beat this boss:
Stay in the center of the platform until he does a flyover. Run to the edge of the platform in that direction. Stand squarely facing him, and if he's not too far away, L-target and hit him with an arrow.

Then, while he's stunned, and without moving Link around at all (you're still squarely facing Gyorg), switch to Zora. Then, Press A (hold) and press Forward. You will do a perfect deep dive going straight for him. Keep diving towards him, then hit your R button to bring up the electric shield. Cruise against him for the hit.

Then quickly turn around and go back to the platform. Get back on it, any way you can. Congrats if you can pop up onto it like a dolphin. I've never mastered that skill. Don't worry if Gyorg catches you and chews you up for a few hearts.

Turn immediately back to Link, and stay in the center of the platform until you know which side he's on. In addition to flyovers, little water bubbles surface where he's hanging out. You can run around the edges looking for him, but Gyorg may bump the platform and you'll fall off.

When you're sure which side he's on (I wait till he flies over), then run to the edge, and repeat above.

It will only take 4 or 5 hits. You'll never say this is a hard boss again. I did this with only 3 bottles available this time. Two were filled with Fairies, one with Green juice. I only had 8 hearts, but I had gotten the defense upgrade by finding all the stray fairies in this dungeon first. I never used any of my spare stuff, and only lost 5 of my hearts.

After dying a million deaths, I learned the true way to dive last night, while I had already died the day before and had to re-do the whole dungeon to get to the boss again. There were 3 hours left on my 3rd day. I couldn't stand it that I was going to die again.

So, checked the Youtube. I spent a few minutes out of the dungeon, (love that you can warp out of a boss battle) trying to figure out how to dive. If "expert gamers" could dive forward from a shallow ledge, why couldn't I? I just kept "jumping."

So I tried every combination of buttons in various orders, and lo and behold, found the right combination. I totally fault Nintendo for not giving complete instructions on this, but I LOVE all my Zelda games so I'm not officially complaining.

Went back to the Gyorg, and in just 4 strikes, the blasted Fish died. It was a beautiful moment. I can now finish this wonderful game.

Dive, my friends, Dive. It's the answer.

Elvenknight

HyrulianBlackcat
I made sure all my bottles were full of faires, and I stayed Zora the whole time. I stood in the center of the pillar and watched him. When he started to charge the pillar (or jump over), I fired the boomerrang fins at him. I quickly dived under and attacked him with my regular fins, then swam away. If you press and hold A, you go faster than pressing A continuosly (misspelled). That takes four shots before he releases the mini-Gyorgs. Then you have to be careful where you hit him, otherwise, those little guys will eat you up before you can hit him. After he releases the little guys, it takes two or three more shots. I usually use one or two fairies, lately none. It just takes practice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom