• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Guns in Zelda: What Do the Fans at ZD Think?

Zorth

#Scoundrel
Yea, I think it would be cool with an old school power gun. Much like the one Ezio has in Assassin's Creed II or maybe a crossbow?
Although I would kill myself if Nintendo ever includes full auto's, grenades or any other modern day weapon in Zelda.

I'm not entirely opposed to guns being in zelda, but I am entirely opposed to link using them. There really isn't any practical way to do it in my opinion without A. Giving link a ridiculous weapon that replaces the sword and kills the feel of zelda or B. Making the gun so under powered it feels like a gimmicky nod to COD fans. That being said, I rather like the idea of a boss or mini boss using a very early flintlock. Maybe some pirate lord, or something. It'd be pretty cool to walk in expecting a regular fight, and then go Holy ****, he has a gun.

I'm not entirely opposed to guns being in zelda, but I am entirely opposed to link using them. There really isn't any practical way to do it in my opinion without A. Giving link a ridiculous weapon that replaces the sword and kills the feel of zelda or B. Making the gun so under powered it feels like a gimmicky nod to COD fans. That being said, I rather like the idea of a boss or mini boss using a very early flintlock. Maybe some pirate lord, or something. It'd be pretty cool to walk in expecting a regular fight, and then go Holy ****, he has a gun.

I like your idea a lot. With the rogue Ancient Robots such as Scervo and Dreadfuse I was practically begging for a pistol of some sort. We've already seen pirates in Majora's Mask and Phantom Hourglass therefore the idea isn't as outlandish as it sounds.

Moreover, I agree with you that seeing Link with a gun doesn't seem right and would feel gimmicky. Series like Assassin's Creed may include such weapons for their protagonist to pick up and utilize due to a more appropriate setting but I'm not picturing Link with a flintlock anytime soon. It would appear as out of place as the very weapon does in Darksiders II.

Do you ever want to see guns appear in The Legend of Zelda series?
I want to see guns appear in TLoZ for the sole reason that we were teased with a bunch of different cannons/bazookas within the game Twilight Princess, yet none of them were player items. I personally think the cannons and the bazookas were pulled off rather well (they looked good, too), all that's left is allowing Link to make use of them as inventory items!

If not, are there any other weapons, or combat styles you wouldn't mind seeing?
Weapons? Bring back that crossbow from Link's Crossbow Training. That looked AWESOME.
Combat styles? I'd love to see Link using different styles of the sword. There are many different ways to wield a sword, and it seems Link only utilizes one (that one, I do not know the name of). A fencer Link style would be quite awesome. A zweihander Link style would be even awesome-r. ETC ETC ETC. Not to mention a spellcaster Link, personally.

Everything you said. Also, he also had the Biggoron Sword, with the good old hold in two hands, swing with one. even with the Gauntlets of lifting enormous pillars.

SpiritGerudo

Flamey-o, Hotman!
No. NO GUNS. As for weapons, what else do you want Link to have to lug around!? I think he's got enough, but I liked the sword techniques from TP and different styles of swords, like the two-handed Biggoron Sword from OoT. I also want them to bring magic back, too, and maybe make it more usable in battle, as opposed to the spells it OoT that were mostly used for puzzles or for specific enemies that you KNOW that you need to use a different type of arrow for.

Kirino

Tatakae
I acually like the idea of having guns of Zelda. It would be pretty awesome on a boss, or a mini-boss. They had a bazooka in TP, and robots in SS, so I guess it's about time. I'd rather not have Link using them though. A crossbow could be pretty cool, but no guns.

Okay i have checked most of these posts, i like the ideas, but i think i have an AWESOME idea! As far as the guns, ehh, maybe, nothing long range i think as it would put off the bow, so maybe get creative and have a new enemy that only a short range pistol would kill? Heck even get creative with the ammo, doesnt need to be an actual bullet does it? OK, so AWESOME idea time, have you ever been playing any zelda game, at any battle and thought: i dont even need the shield why do i have it? So, why not have Link be able to dual wield swords? Now before i get any comments, i'm saying let him be able to switch between having a shield, or dual wield swords, or daggers, much like the Biggorons sword in OoT. Of course with this idea the motion play of SS i am certain would be out, but i for one would be fine with that. I LOVE the Zelda series, but everytime i lost my shield and had to run around sword in one hand and empty in another i thought how cool it would be to put another sword in the empty hand. Am i the only one here? :)

Awesome

The Creepy Uncle
I honestly don't care if there are guns in Zelda. I really want the next installment to be a steam punk style game so guns would fit perfectly into that game. Obvious it would look kind of weird if Link carried around a shotgun or SMG, but with an old timey pistol or rifle...I see nothing wrong with it. Zelda is not a medieval series, but rather a fantasy series. Fantasy is able to incorporate guns without it looking out of place or making the game unfair (look at Final Fantasy.)

I think anyone can agree after seeing Fistful of Rupees that guns can look pretty badass with a Zelda theme.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
There was a bazooka in Twilight Princess, but that was more like a cannon. Guns would just be pushing it too far. The series wouldn't be the same. I enjoy shooters, but guns in Zelda isn't right. If it has to have a gun, it should be an old style pistol or something like that. Not a shotgun or an M16.

jack546

The chosen one
I would prefer zelda to stay without guns im happy with bows and hook/claw shots. What comes after guns a zelda rts or fps with nuclear weapons? is that the direction you want zelda to go?

As long as it was more of a boom stick/blunderbuss kind of gun to suit the world of zelda, i wouldnt mind.

Slower than a bow with reloading n stuff but more powerful

Zorth

#Scoundrel
I would prefer zelda to stay without guns im happy with bows and hook/claw shots. What comes after guns a zelda rts or fps with nuclear weapons? is that the direction you want zelda to go?

By guns he doesn't mean modern day fully auto's, nuclear weapons or laser guns. I think he means powder guns from the medievals up to the revolution, Guns like Ezio has in the AC series. They would fit perfectly fine in the Zelda time setting and wouldn't hurt the gameplay but bring a different perspective to it.

zellinkda

one of many
I am against guns in zelda. if we actually put guns in the game, we will attract the Call of Duty type of fan to the series. in doing so, Nintendo may never return the sword and shield. the lack of guns in the series is one thing that makes The Legend of Zelda unique and interesting.

new sort of combat? I am prepared for 90% of the things nintendo would throw at us, however I can't think of a kind I personally want. the series is fine the way it is.

Big Octo

=^)
I am against guns in zelda. if we actually put guns in the game, we will attract the Call of Duty type of fan to the series. in doing so, Nintendo may never return the sword and shield. the lack of guns in the series is one thing that makes The Legend of Zelda unique and interesting.

I don't think you realize that guns added would more than likely be primitive, such as blunderbusses or muskets. These weapons, in no conceivable way, will not be a nod to Call of Duty fans, rather, going again to show that the series is very open to change. Look at it these ways: Trains and Steamboats have already been introduced, and guns have long predates these. Will Link and soldiers armed with the oldest tiers of guns not blend in?

The other way to see them in the series is as a balanced range weapon. Guns of old shot on bullet at a time, we're very innacurate, and took a good deal or time to reload. If added into Zelda, the could be much stronger than a bow, but the draw backs keep it leveled.

As for my opinion, well, you can probably conclude it by reading the above.

Mr Reaper

Fear The Reaper
The Zelda games with steamboats, trains, etc are meant to make the game a little more steampunk (magic and swords with post-industrial revolution technology), just because it has steampunk elements doesn't mean guns would be a good idea, it would change the gameplay so significantly that it could turn into a different genre, let's just leave the guns for Fable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom