• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Modern Guns in Zelda: What Do the Fans at ZD Think?

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
Although I found a few older threads related to this topic, I never saw one that directly asked the ZD universe their opinion. If there is, I apologize to the original poster. :)

Do you ever want to see guns appear in The Legend of Zelda series? If not, are there any other weapons, or combat styles you wouldn't mind seeing? There's a YouTube video made by Axle the Beast that made some excellent points on this topic. I personally don't want to see guns making an appearance, that being said I would still buy and play a Zelda game that did incorporate them! What I actually thought would be neat is if Link could throw daggers, like if he defeated an enemy that had a knife he could pick it up, store it in his inventory, and then be able to stab or throw it at other foes. What do you guys think?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Do you ever want to see guns appear in The Legend of Zelda series?
I want to see guns appear in TLoZ for the sole reason that we were teased with a bunch of different cannons/bazookas within the game Twilight Princess, yet none of them were player items. I personally think the cannons and the bazookas were pulled off rather well (they looked good, too), all that's left is allowing Link to make use of them as inventory items!

If not, are there any other weapons, or combat styles you wouldn't mind seeing?
Weapons? Bring back that crossbow from Link's Crossbow Training. That looked AWESOME.
Combat styles? I'd love to see Link using different styles of the sword. There are many different ways to wield a sword, and it seems Link only utilizes one (that one, I do not know the name of). A fencer Link style would be quite awesome. A zweihander Link style would be even awesome-r. ETC ETC ETC. Not to mention a spellcaster Link, personally.

Zelda has had steam boats and trains. Both of which came after guns. So why not make them fit into a game in such a time period. It would be cool to have a zelda game with a weapon that would make normal enemies seriously wound link. Too appose guns and yet to approve steam engines is foolish

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I like the idea of a crossbow, but I just can't see Link holding a gun. Maybe I'm not a big fan of change!

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
Personally, guns can fit very well in a Zelda game. It just needs to be done right. You can say that a gun defeats the purpose of having a sword, which I would fully agree with because it does. But it doesn't have to. If anything, I'd say that a gun would defeat the purpose of the bow. So, being creative, which Nintendo is known for being, they can easily make a gun that runs on magic and does everything a bow can. Fire, ice, light, and whatever else they want to do with such an item. It could still have ammunition but it's not like if you're always going to have enough to beat the entire game with nothing but a gun... It also doesn't need to be used as just a weapon, it can be used for other things like puzzles as well. Again, you just need to be creative with the idea. Just look at what Skyward Sword did with the Boomerang, it became the Beetle.

I think a pistol would actually work well in a Zelda game. Keep in mind that pistols have been around since the 14th century, so the game wouldn't have to be steampunk or lose the medieval setting that we fans love. If the pistol had similar functionality and use in comparison to those used in the Assassin's Creed franchise, then it could fit quite well in regards to gameplay. The player could use the pistol for short-range kills (similar to the slingshot, but more powerful), and the bow could remain for long-range offensive attacking and hitting switches. I wouldn't mind seeing this in a Zelda game, especially if the game is set later in the timeline and has a relatively dark tone. Although, any guns (or technology, for that matter) subsequent to the Middle Ages or the Renaissance would probably be too much for the traditional Zelda formula, in my opinion.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I think a pistol would actually work well in a Zelda game. Keep in mind that pistols have been around since the 14th century, so the game wouldn't have to be steampunk or lose the medieval setting that we fans love. If the pistol had similar functionality and use in comparison to those used in the Assassin's Creed franchise, then it could fit quite well in regards to gameplay. The player could use the pistol for short-range kills (similar to the slingshot, but more powerful), and the bow could remain for long-range offensive attacking and hitting switches. I wouldn't mind seeing this in a Zelda game, especially if the game is set later in the timeline and has a relatively dark tone. Although, any guns (or technology, for that matter) subsequent to the Middle Ages or the Renaissance would probably be too much for the traditional Zelda formula, in my opinion.

The Legend of Zelda is a fantasy game. That being said, it doesn't take place in any real historical time period and doesn't need to fit real life standards.

The Legend of Zelda is a fantasy game. That being said, it doesn't take place in any real historical time period and doesn't need to fit real life standards.

That's true, but what I mean is that Nintendo can add pistols to the series without losing the medieval feel. Of course they can take things from fluctuating real-world time periods or create things of their own, but while adding something like a machine gun (or any sort of modern gun) would most likely ruin the feel of the game, a pistol could be added while retaining it. Since Zelda takes place in an era of swords bows and the pistol came about late in that period in our history, I think it's logical for such to happen in the Zelda timeline as well; not that it will or it has to, but I think it's possible and would fit well.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I'm completely indifferent on guns in Zelda. They would add a cool gameplay device for sure, but they're in no way a necessary addition. If the future holds them, cool. If it doesn't, cool. It's basically like with magic. Zelda's good either way.

Lets just make Zelda into the next star wars.....

I don't quite see what you mean by that. Are you saying it would turn into a space opera, or it would be a shell of its former self?

More on topic, I think a gun in the loosest sense would work. Like others have mentioned, an early flintlock or matchlock weapon with that Zelda charm would probably fit right in. Something like a modern assault rifle, that would be going way in the wrong direction, of course.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Why would a modern gun, eg M16, completely kill Zelda for you all? It seems to me at least that anything from a shooter would destroy the mold that Zelda has created for many. Now, I realize that many people play Zelda games for the aesthetics and a major point is the story, and aesthetically a gun modern *could* detract from the quoteunquote medieval feel of the game in question, but gameplay wise it would hurt anything at all. A gun is simply a ranged weapon, nothing more nothing less!

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
I don't quite see what you mean by that. Are you saying it would turn into a space opera, or it would be a shell of its former self?

More on topic, I think a gun in the loosest sense would work. Like others have mentioned, an early flintlock or matchlock weapon with that Zelda charm would probably fit right in. Something like a modern assault rifle, that would be going way in the wrong direction, of course.

I was Joking :/

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Why not a powder fed gun, it could be a strong weapon, but take several seconds to ready and fire, thus making you decided weither or not you really want to use it. Used for a few puzzles and what not.

Or Why not a spring loaded, arrow shooter, it could look similar to a gun, and a cross bow combined, but instead of a recursive structure, It'd have spring inside it to fire the arrow. So it'd be between gun/bow/crossbow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom