• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guitar

squadala

I don't like you either
My new years resolution this year is to learn how to play the guitar. At this point I know practically nothing about the instrument. I have been playing the piano for about 10 years now so I already have extensive knowledge of chords and such. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion? Song? Specifically Zelda songs :)? thanks in advance!

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
Well, that's what I did. I played the piano for about 6 years, then I learned how to play the guitar. The guitar takes more time to learn than the piano. For playing a Zelda song, if you know how to play it on the piano, you can play it on the guitar. Just pluck one string at a time for each of the individual notes. If you're talking specifically chords, then I don't know about that.

Scythe-of-Chaos

I'm an assassin.... sshhh
My suggestion, being a vivid guitar player myself, is to start with a song that involves long slow strums to get used to the chords (great fairy's song works awesome) That's the song I started on and I'm fairly good. just practice and you will get the hang of it. The real question you need to ask yourself is - acoustic or electric? that matters a lot.

Hylian Pants

Nintendo Wench
Firstly, congrats and good luck on the resolution! I'm a guitar player too, but by no means an expert :P It's really good that you've started with a previous instrument, which I didn't! I would say start with practicing chord positions of course, and once you've memorized where which chords are, practice switching from one chord to another. Try looking up some pentatonic scales, too. Those helped me a lot.

Also, since you're a piano player, I would assume you know how to read music. While that's really useful, I would suggest learning how to read tablature or "tabs". It's a very handy way to learn how to play a song quickly, and is the format you'll mostly see when looking up how to play songs on websites like ultimate-guitar.com <They have a BIG selection of songs. Here's a how to on reading tabs: link

As for Zelda songs, I just got into playing them, and they're addicting! Some of the ones I find easier are Epona's Song, Requiem of Spirit, Song of Time, and parts of the Lakeside Laboratory. Some of the ones that I'm still working on is Bolero of Fire and Song of Storms. Here's a really awesome website that has the guitar tabs for a TON of video game music, including a heaping bunch of Zelda tunes: http://www.gametabs.net/series/203 Enjoy!

My new years resolution this year is to learn how to play the guitar. At this point I know practically nothing about the instrument. I have been playing the piano for about 10 years now so I already have extensive knowledge of chords and such. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestion? Song? Specifically Zelda songs :)? thanks in advance!

Guitar and Piano fill very similar roles, at least in rock music. The piano requires more dexterity in my view as your left hand can be moving in a different rhythm to the right, with the guitar this isn't the case, the hands move more or less at the same time except when you are doing what are known as hammer-ons and pull offs where your fretting hand moves while the right rests.

If you have a band you love learn a few of their songs first. I could recommend some easy songs but if you don't like the song you probably won't bother to learn it. Start with songs that are mainly chord based without too much fiddly lead - once you learn to strum you will be able to play along to every song using chords so it's a good skill to pick up.

I'd give you more tips but I could go on for pages and pages and it would blow your mind. Best just to get your head in the game. If you know Piano theory then you won't have any trouble understanding the guitar - all you need to worry about is learning chords, then move to barre chords (movable shapes that you can move up and down the fretboard) and scales.

PM me for more tips if you get stuck. Good luck :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom