• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guilt and Regret

Ninja

Well well well
When was the last time you felt guilty after doing something? What's one thing that happened in your life that you regret, or wish you could take back? It could be petty and silly, or something serious.

The last time I felt guilty was disciplining my dog. He comes from an abused background and he made a mistake and **** all over the carpet. I showed him what he did, scolded him and left him outside for a half hour. Felt bad because of his background. But come on Murphy, at least **** on the tile! You were doing so well.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
iu

I do things I shouldn't have done and recognize that fact on a continual basis; that's being human. I regret them or feel guilty about them in the most basic of ways, yeah.

Actively feeling regret, actually putting time and attention into feeling that emotion, is completely useless though. They're not constructive emotions that help you fix anything, or even to do better next time. They make you feel bad, and negative emotions usually contribute to making more mistakes rather than help you avoid them. I always try to -- and absolutely advocate -- acknowledging your mistakes, apologizing and doing anything needed to make up for them, and then moving on. Just do better next time. Live and learn. Hanging on the edge of tomorrow. From the works of yesterday...

YIGAhim

Sole Survivor
I am still very young, but we all have that point in our week that we are feeling good and then that memory from years ago pops up and you feel stupid. Well, I'll just say I have a lot of those. Not usually missed opportunities like a lot of people regret, but just plain doing something stupid in front of people.

I regret not going competitive in FEncing and Smash sooner. I regret never getting into watching sports. I regret never playing Football. I regret not studying ever. I regret being born sometimes, even though that was uncontrollable. I regret a lot...

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Of course we all have things we regret and feel guilty about. But I agree with Axle here. There is nothing you can do other than just move on and learn from your mistakes. Sometimes people regret so many things, they let it dictate their life. But it's useless to keep on dwelling in the past because of some things we did and regret it and wish we did different. It solves nothing but it can be a valuable lesson.

Dan

I regret a lot of things I life but that’s what makes us who we are and we cannot change the past but we can change the future.
Glad to see this is the general consensus in this thread.

I think we all have a habit of sitting on guilt and regret for too long. The sadness we feel is necessary, it's our brain telling us something was/is wrong and we address it by learning from it and moving on. The moving on part is important. Your 20s especially should be full of **** ups and regrets.

Link Floyd

ᵒⁿ ᵗʰᵉ ʳᵘⁿ
I have too many regrets to count, and I'm still getting over the guilt related to some of them. I think guilt is a waste of an emotion though if you just wallow in it. Whenever I'm not too down, I try to use my guilt as motivation to do better and try harder in life.

Reactions: Dan

Malia

Passive aggressive custom rank B)
i was jking around with my friend, who also happened to be my DM in a D&D campaign of which i am a part. i told a big fat obvious lie and he told me to roll deception. he rolled insight. one of us rolled a nat 20. the other rolled a nat 1. my regret is part of one of these rolls lmao.

guessi'lldie.jpg

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
In our university's orchestra, I'm playing principal horn, and the assistant principal is the freshman Alex (not his real name, but lets go with that). As principal its my responsibility to be the musical manager of the other horn players, so I've got to make some musical decisions and shape the horn section to a certain artistic vision, to an extent (unless it goes against the director). In addition, Alex being a freshman and I being like 7 years older than him (oh geez...), our relationship is a little more mentor-ish than usual. But were really on great terms, he seems to really look up to me.

Well, I have a lot of musical opinions, so I'm constantly leaning over and whispering things in his ear things like "shorter!" and "lead to the downbeat." (If you don't understand musical terms, its not important) Well, a couple days ago he was playing a part and took a breath during a crescendo, and I leaned over and told him "You can NOT break that crescendo." I was using plain language for emphasis, but I realized that it came across as angry or harsh, so I tried to pass it off with a shrug. Then I realized that the shrug seemed really sarcastic and nasty, and I was just mortified coming across as this nasty disagreeable person, and I saw his face looked pretty bewildered and nervous.

Usually in these situations I've convinced myself that I've completely ruined the moment with my awkwardness, that there's no going back, nothing you can say anymore that will fix it. Well, I sat and stewed in my embarrassment for about 30 seconds, but then I just thought about my words for a minute, then said to him "Sorry, that came out wrong, I didn't mean to sound so harsh." He gave a laugh of relief and told me he understood, and everything was better :cool:

Moral of the story, there's few verbal mistakes you can make that can't simply be talked over. Otherwise, I mean, I can always feel guilty about pursuing music on the slim chance I land a real orchestra job, when a real career would be a sounder life choice, but... I try not to think about that too much.

Last edited:

Zonda

Meme Connoisseur
I regret getting into online forums. That stuff’s more addictive than ice I swear.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I regret that watts ansari is gone from my life forever...

He was taken from me. From us...

I think we all need his words of wisdom in these dark and dangerous times.

LegendOfMeesh

You Are The Light
I regret that watts ansari is gone from my life forever...

He was taken from me. From us...

I think we all need his words of wisdom in these dark and dangerous times.

Listen to me, Deus. I know how hard it is to go on without Watts. Trust me, I was completely devastated when I saw that the account was gone. And I have still not recovered completely. But we will get through this and come out stronger on the other end. And in the meantime, we can dream of a time when we are reunited with Watts. And make sure that we also stay inspired and enlightened.

Reactions: Dio

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Listen to me, Deus. I know how hard it is to go on without Watts. Trust me, I was completely devastated when I saw that the account was gone. And I have still not recovered completely. But we will get through this and come out stronger on the other end. And in the meantime, we can dream of a time when we are reunited with Watts. And make sure that we also stay inspired and enlightened.
Oh thank you. I'm sorry for being a sarcastic bastard it's just the way I am. I am do comforted by your words and they made me feel so much better.

Anyway I think it is best we keep eating lots of yoghurt in the hope we can progress along the path to self actualization as Watts did before us.

Hero of Pizza Time

Pizza Parker
When was the last time you felt guilty after doing something? What's one thing that happened in your life that you regret, or wish you could take back? It could be petty and silly, or something serious.

The last time I felt guilty was disciplining my dog. He comes from an abused background and he made a mistake and **** all over the carpet. I showed him what he did, scolded him and left him outside for a half hour. Felt bad because of his background. But come on Murphy, at least **** on the tile! You were doing so well.

On the topic of dogs, dogs' stomachs and groins are apparently very temperature sensitive. So there were several instances where I took her on walks on days when the concrete was as hot as a kitchen stove. I didn't know that she was refusing to go because she didn't want to burn stomach, so I made her come. Ever since I found out about this I have felt like I needed to somehow make up for taking my dog on walks that were basically death marches.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom