• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guild Wars 2

Brodogs

Competitive TF2 Medic
Hey guys, I couldn't find a thread regarding Guild Wars 2 that was actually about the ArenaNet game (hi Forum Games :3) but if one exists feel free to remove this.

[video=youtube;t-CB0hheQRg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-CB0hheQRg[/video]​

I wanted to create some discussion about GW2, the sequel to ArenaNet's no-subscription MMO. While I don't have a huge amount of content for you myself (I only got to play an hour or two in the Beta weekends), the game deserves some thought with release less than a month away (28th August)! More information can be found at https://www.guildwars2.com/ and in various articles and videos (I'll link to some soon), but to get us going here are some points:

• Dynamic combat - physically dodging attacks and utilising the environment (including other's skills) plays a significant role in determining the outcome of a battle.
  • Dynamic events - a disguised form of questing that in my opinion works very well (walk into an area and be automatically alerted of events occurring around you that actually affect the world depending on the outcome, rewards based on player contribution - don't need to actively group with others to participate).
  • Skill based (as opposed to gear based) - a player's build hits its maximum earlier in the game putting emphasis on the way a character is played.
  • World vs World PvP - 3 servers of up to 100 players each competing against each other. Like all PvP (more standard and competitive forms are included), can be accessed at any point in the game.
  • No subscriptions - the game is reasonably expensive up front yet lacking those monthly hits to the user's pocket.
  • Open world - contrasting their previous severely instanced game, exploration is encouraged through dynamic events and rewarded through in game incentives such as experience and achievements.
  • No dedicated healer - proclaiming to do away with the Holy Trinity (Tank, DPS, Healer).

It should be noted a major point for concern for some is the fact that it is skill based like the previous GW, unlike the gear based WoW. While some intense and entertaining low-mid level content has been experienced in the Beta, many are worried that there will be no 'end game content.' In a way this is justified by giving the level of enjoyment gained through such difficult content from 1 to 80 however this still is a problem for various gamers - particularly those used to gear based end game content. The game had some optimisation issues but I'm sure these will be dealt with by release.

Totalbiscuit's wrap up of his final Beta weekend Guild Wars 2 - My thoughts on the final beta - YouTube
Video released literally minutes ago regarding WvW Official ArenaNet Video: World vs. World in Guild Wars 2

Let me know what you think. Personally, I cannot wait for Guild Wars 2.

Attachments

• 300px-Normal_gw2logo.jpg
    300px-Normal_gw2logo.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 26913.jpg
    26913.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
GW2 is a game that, at endgame, will require team efforts more than anything. Dynamic Events are absolutely amazing. I logged over 72 hours into the BWEs, only participated in BWE2 and BWE3 though. Seriously, I cannot coherently sum up my thoughts about GW2 because the game is so freaking stellar.

For example, you know how you grind for stuff in GW2? Normally grinding is supposed to be boring, but with GW2 I find it to be the best freaking activity out there, which is opposite of how I think World of Warcraft. The world of Tyria is ever huge in GW2, and traversing it will be a hit. /3dayheadstartaccessftw

Brodogs

Competitive TF2 Medic
This is a relatively old video but I found it a really good introduction to understanding Guild Wars 2 (and as you can tell the majority of my points are derived from it). Check it out if you would like a summary that goes into greater detail than I have here.
[video=youtube;xBC_ig73aMs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs[/video]​

If only my PC could run this game :( I've been keeping an eye on it for awhile now and it seems like a lot of fun. It looks like they are at least attempting to change the MMO formula up a bit and that has me very interested. I hope it lives up to it's potential and plays as well as it looks.

Cant wait to get my hands on this :P but WoW MoP is also coming out soon so will see where my attention goes :)

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Actually, everyone, I have to say that Guild Wars 2 is NOT, repeat, NOT the revolution of MMORPGs that you think it is. A majority of the things that GW2 does has already been done in other games, including WoW. What makes GW2 so appealing and, to the one who hasn't played or is living off a little bit of info, revolutionary is the fact that it seamlessly blends every GOOD aspect of MMOs into one huge game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom