• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Guide or No Guide?

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
Hey everyone. I haven't posted on here in quite some time, but lately I've been floating around and keeping up to date. I'm going to completely begin from scratch and play every Zelda game to completion. I personally prefer not to use a guide, but I was wondering what the majority of you all think. So, how do you feel about completing a Zelda game with a guide - is it cheating or is it only acceptable when you've been stuck on the same puzzle for the last 2 weeks? Or are guides totally fine no matter what? Why?

Big Octo

=^)
I think using a guide is definitely not cheating as you're not breaking the in-game rules. To me, using a guide is the modern equivalent of asking your friends for help. As for my rules on using guides, I still try to use them as little as possible. I haven't actually used a guide for a Zelda game in a while, they're all too easy for my tastes.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Do no guide. I use a guide when I'm just irritated with the game, and I'm being irritated with OoA. The game isn't making sense even WITH aguide, at least not atm.

i tried MM with no guide. i quit, ordered one off amazon, and resumed. between that guide and this site, my most hated game became nearly my favorite. i say guide

Yuki Cross

Attack on Titan~!!!
I use a guide only when I really need it. Personally, I do feel that it's cheating, but I'd rather finish the game even if by cheating a little, than wander around the same place and going no where. So my rule is that I only use the guide if I am utterly stuck, and have absolutely no idea what to do. However some games need it more than others, so for each game it really varies, but I generally follow the same rules, regardless.

DarkLink17

Well then
I never use a guide on my first playthrough of a game, it just takes most of the fun away. On my 100% runs though, I use a guide for tedious things such as Gold Skullutas, Heart Pieces, Glowing Bugs, etc.

CynicalSquid

Swag Master General
I personally don't think it's cheating. It's just some outside help if you get stuck, even though it's more satisfying to figure it out yourself. I try use them as little as possible. If I get stuck on something and can't figure it out I'll just use a guide. It's pointless to waste your time if you can just look it up after 10-20 minutes of trying to figure out what you are supposed to do.

NoRush

Soldier, Royal Family
I think using a guide is definitely not cheating as you're not breaking the in-game rules. To me, using a guide is the modern equivalent of asking your friends for help. As for my rules on using guides, I still try to use them as little as possible. I haven't actually used a guide for a Zelda game in a while, they're all too easy for my tastes.

Interesting, never thought of that before. Yeah, I want to play the Zelda games enough to where I don't need a guide at all for anything.

I use a guide only when I really need it. Personally, I do feel that it's cheating, but I'd rather finish the game even if by cheating a little, than wander around the same place and going no where. So my rule is that I only use the guide if I am utterly stuck, and have absolutely no idea what to do.

The frustration is inevitable :p I really want to see how far I can go before I go full Hulk status without a guide, but really that would be my rule too, only if I'm absolutely stuck.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
I suppose you could say it's cheating, but I don't really agree that much. Think of it this way: A guide steps you in the right direction. If you don't use a guide for literally the entire game, than it is really no different than looking in your textbook to figure out how to solve a complicated math equation. You're looking in the guide to help you solve a puzzle, what's the difference?

I generally try to use guides as little as possible. I only use them if I'm absolutely stuck on something, or if I need help 100%ing a game. Even then, I try not to use them because I like to figure things out for myself. I get a huge sense of satisfaction when, like Skyward Sword for example, I complete a game 100% with no outside help. It gives me a sense of accomplishment that I just don't get from using guides. There's nothing wrong with using guides, though. If you need hep, you need help.

No need to use a guide on a series as easy as Zelda.

You have no idea how many times I get stuck in Zelda. You really shouldn't label a series as "easy" when not everybody feels the same way. For some people, there is the need to use a guide. May not be the case for you, but you're only one person.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
using a guide is not cheating,i guess its like trying to cure some kind of illness or injury yourself instead of going to a freaking doctor b/c it will hurt your pride
only times i feel shame at searching up a guide is when i see what im suppose to do and i think 'WELL THATS ****ING OBVIOUS',as in the task was simple enough that i shouldn't have looked at a guide in the first place

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
You have no idea how many times I get stuck in Zelda. You really shouldn't label a series as "easy" when not everybody feels the same way. For some people, there is the need to use a guide. May not be the case for you, but you're only one person.

As a psychic I knew someone would reply to Darkest with a comment like this. However I am obligated to defend him. As sociologists we must commence with dissecting his post. Look here.

No need to use a guide on a series as easy as Zelda.

That is all he said, correct? He did not give an object. what or who has no need to use a guide on Zelda series? It is for this express reason that we must assume it is HIS opinion that Zelda is easy, and leave him at that. :yes:

Mudora

Innocent but not fearful.
I personally don't use guides on my first play through of a Zelda game. I like the challenge of figuring out all the puzzles or difficult areas on my own. I like to use guides to help me 100% complete a Zelda game for the first time though. I don't think using guides is cheating, but I do get more satisfaction whilst playing when I don't use them.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
A lot of people are dead-set on believing the use of a guide is cheating. I, on the other hand, believe it's perfectly okay to use a guide for additional assistance. That being said, I do use guides on video games -- especially when it comes to Zelda and its difficult puzzles. There's no shame in using a guide, they're made for a reason, and that reason is to help those that need it. Besides, there are a lot of 'guides' in Zelda games already (i.e. Fi, KoRL, Navi, Tatl, etc).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom