• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guide: Missable Items for 100% Completion

When going for 100% completion in games, sometimes there are things that you can miss out on and ruin your chance of getting 100% without starting a new game file. I couldn't find a list anywhere so I thought I'd compile everything together here. So here is a list of known things that are missable in Zelda games.

I'm sure there's a lot missing, so let me know and I will update this post. I couldn't find info on Majora's Mask

Note that there are minor spoilers in this thread on all Zelda games

The Legend of Zelda
- 4 Heart Containers: There are 4 secret caves in the game where the old man offers you a choice of either a potion or a heart container. Always choose the heart container if you want to get maximum hearts, otherwise you will miss out on it for the rest of the game.

Zelda II: Adventure of Link
- Nothing is missable

A Link to the Past
- Nothing is missable

Link's Awakening
- Missable Secret Seashells:
1 - Once you have 5 secret seashells, you can get the 6th one by visiting the Seashell mansion. You can't get this if you have more than 5, you have to have exactly 5. See the Zelda Dungeon guide for details and location
2 - A sea shell in a treasure chest is missable. You can only get this while you have access to the flying rooster. See the beginning of this video for the location.

- Extra Ending segment: If you finish the game with 0 deaths, you will see an extra scene during the ending. The game will keep track of your deaths at the file select screen.

Link's Awakening DX
In addition to the above:
- 4 Pictures: The DX version of the game has a side quest where you can get your picture taken after special events. 4 of these pictures are missable:
1 - Go to the Kanalet Castle entrance before hitting the switch to open the castle gate. Link and Richard will pose for a picture
2 - While Marin is following you, go to the Southwestern corner of Kohilint Island. You will get a picture of Link and Marin looking at the ocean
3 - While Marin is following you, jump into the hole north of the Library and she will land on top of you for a picture
4 - While Marin is following you, go to the rooster statue in Mabe Village. Link, Marin and Tarin will pose for a picture together

- "THIEF" Name Change: To get one of the photos requires you to steal from the Shop in Mabe Village. This will change your name to THIEF permanently for the rest of the game. Also, you will no longer have access to the shop because the shopkeeper will kill you when you enter! So you need to decide if it's worth it or not. The bow and shovel are missable if you haven't bought them from the store before you get this picture (I'm not sure about this, needs confirmation)

Ocarina of Time
- Deku Nut Upgrade: If you don't get this upgrade before you pull out the Master Sword for the first time and become an adult, you will miss out on it forever. To get the upgrade, get the Mask of Truth from the Happy Mask side quest and wear it in the Lost Woods (see Chapter 6.3 of Zelda Dungeon's walkthrough for details)
(Note: This is fixed in Ocarina of Time 3D. Need confirmation on Game Cube and Virtual Console versions)

- Giant's Knife: You can no longer buy the Giant's Knife from Medigoron after you get the Biggoron's Sword. This is not a big deal though because the Biggoron's Sword is an unbreakable version of the Giant's Knife.

- Scarecrow Song Ending: If you have 0 deaths when beating the game, the song you created for the Scarecrow's Song will play in the ending. The game keeps track of your deaths at the file select screen.

Majora's Mask
- Nothing is missable?

Oracle of Seasons
- Nothing is missable, but:
- Moosh's Flute / Dimitri's Flute / Ricky's Flute: You can only get one of these flutes that summons an animal friend. Dimitri's Flute is the default flute for Oracle of Seasons.

Oracle of Ages
- Nothing is missable, but:
- Moosh's Flute / Dimitri's Flute / Ricky's Flute: You can only get one of these flutes that summons an animal friend. Moosh's Flute is the default flute for Oracle of Ages.

Wind Waker
- 15 Nintendo Gallery figurines (9 snapshots): The Nintendo Gallery is a side quest in the game where you get figurines of characters and enemies in the game after you take a picture of them with the Deluxe Picto Box and submit the picture to Carlov. Several of these are missable if you miss the opportunity to take a picture. Note that when you beat the game, you can start a New Game file where you keep your Deluxe Pictograph and all of the figurines you got in the last game. This is a good opportunity to take pictures of what you missed during your first playthrough.

1. Cyclos: A boss in the Great Sea that teaches you the Ballad of Gales after you defeat him. Take his picture before defeating him
2. Big Octo: There are only 6 Big Octos in the game and they don't reappear after you defeat them, so take a picture of one of them before you defeat them all
3. Helmaroc King: Boss of the Forsaken Fortress. Take his picture during the battle.
4. Phantom Ganon: Miniboss of the Forsaken Fortress. Also appears several times during the final dungeon at the Forsaken Fortress.
5. Tetra, Gonzo, Mako, Niko, Nudge, Senza, Zuko: Taking Tetra's picture will give you figurines of her and all of her pirates. The only opportunity to take her picture is when she is following you to the Hyrule Castle basement.
6. Kogoli: He only appears when you return to Dragon Roost Island before the Wind Temple, when you have to play the Earth God's Lyric for Medli. After this he is gone forever.
7. Red Wizzrobe: A red version of the regular Wizzrobe enemy, and the miniboss of the Wind Temple. Take his picture during the battle.
8. Knuckle: He only appears if you have the Game Boy Advance cable and complete the Tingle Tuner side quest. Since the GBA adapter is required to get this figurine, some Zelda fans don't consider this as a requirement for 100% completion. You must get this figurine before you finish getting all others, because Carlov will leave the Nintendo Gallery and make getting this one impossible.
9. Puppet Ganon: One of the forms of the final boss. You can take his picture, save and quit, reload the game and submit the picture.

Also, be sure to take pictures of all the bosses in the game before defeating them

Four Swords Adventures
-You can miss items, but since the game is in level format and levels can be repeated, it doesn't matter

The Minish Cap
- Light Arrows: You must get these from Gregal before you get to the Cloud Tops. See this entry for details

Twilight Princess
- Ordon Shield: This is the shield you start the game with. If it gets burned, it will be gone forever since it can't be purchased again. You can buy a wooden shield to replace it, but it is slightly different

Phantom Hourglass
- Missable Heart Container: At the end of the 4th dungeon, the Ghost Ship, if you don't pick up the Heart Container, the Postman will bring it to you later. If you choose not to receive it from the Postman, it will be gone forever

Spirit Tracks
- Nothing is missable

Last edited:

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
That guide is massive, has more information than necessary to make the points, and when combined with ZU's inefficient and resource-heavy skin, locks up my browser. And no doubt many others.
A complete list, without the guide form, of the missable items can be found here:
http://zeldawiki.org/Permanently_Missable_Items

Hylian Knight

Green Armored Menace
There is a flaw in 1 of your Items it's in OoT.

Deku Nut Upgrade: If you don't get this upgrade before you pull out the Master Sword for the first time and become an adult, you will miss out on it forever. To get the upgrade, get the Mask of Truth from the Happy Mask side quest and wear it in the Lost Woods (see Chapter 6.3 of Zelda Dungeon's walkthrough for details)

I even have the original N64 version and after I pull out the Master Sword I could still get this upgrade.

Thanks for those links. Though I can't view the zeldawiki page for some reason.

Deku Nut Upgrade: If you don't get this upgrade before you pull out the Master Sword for the first time and become an adult, you will miss out on it forever. To get the upgrade, get the Mask of Truth from the Happy Mask side quest and wear it in the Lost Woods (see Chapter 6.3 of Zelda Dungeon's walkthrough for details)

I even have the original N64 version and after I pull out the Master Sword I could still get this upgrade.

Hmm, it might be one of those things that depends on the version of the game software. I came across that glitch on my N64 version, and have seen a few forum posts regarding it too.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff

If you'd have read the link that I had given you'd know why this is, unfortunately the site's glitchy now. Try purging your cache or just wait.

It's because pulling the Master Sword is not the cause of this glitch. It's obtaining the Poacher's Saw. A developer of the game mistakenly gave both the saw and the Deku Nut upgrade the same finisher flag because they're in the same area. This makes it so when you get the Poacher's Saw, the game is told that you also have the Deku Nut Upgrade. Even though you don't. Making it impossible to obtain from there on. It is present in all versions of the original Ocarina of Time, even on the GameCube and Virtual Console. But it has been fixed in the 3DS remake.

EternalNocturne

Fluffy hair!
That guide is massive, has more information than necessary to make the points, and when combined with ZU's inefficient and resource-heavy skin, locks up my browser. And no doubt many others.
A complete list, without the guide form, of the missable items can be found here:
http://zeldawiki.org/Permanently_Missable_Items

There's an easy-to-read Master List of the missable items on the bottom.

Master list of missable items
TL;DNR version. If you just want a quick check list of everything that's missable, along with a brief note on how to obtain a permanently missable item, here's your index.

The Legend of Zelda
- 4 Heart Containers offered by the old man: Do not choose the Potion (first quest: H-5, L-8, M-3, P-3).
- 4 Heart Containers offered by the old man: Do not choose the Potion (second quest: A-3, G-1, K-4, P-3).
- 3 Heart Containers: give up 50 Rupees to the old man instead (second quest: Level 4, Level 7 twice).
- Deaths are counted on file menu.

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link
- Minor notes: palaces closing, 6 1-up Dolls, 30 Treasure Bags.
- Deaths and saves are counted on file menu.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - N/A
(But deaths and saves are counted in the ending.)

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
- 1 treasure chest: Use Flying Rooster to cross gaps and reach cave hole southwest of Kanalet Castle.
- 4 pictures (DX only):
* Pose with Richard in front of Kanalet Castle while the gate is still closed.
* Go with Marin to the southwestern corner of Koholint Island.
* Jump into hole north of the Village Library with Marin and have her land on top of you.
* Pose with Marin and Tarin in front of the rooster statue in Mabe Village's town square.
* Minor note: Choose which first picture you want when you first meet the photographer.
- Minor notes: trade in green tunic for red or blue (DX only), lose original name for "THIEF" by stealing from Mabe Village Shop (necessary to complete photography side quest in DX version), extra Secret Seashells.
- Deaths are counted on file menu (need 000 deaths to see Marin after the ending).

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- Deku Nut upgrade: Do not pull out Master Sword and become adult for first time until you wear Mask of Truth at Forest Stage hidden in the Lost Woods.
- Minor note: Giant's Knife no longer available after obtaining Biggoron's Sword.
- Deaths are counted on file menu (need 000 deaths to hear Scarecrow's Song after the ending).

The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
- 1 treasure chest: Open chest for Deku Nuts in cave at the beginning of the game before reaching Clock Town.
- Unconfirmed rumor: incomplete Stray Fairy collections.

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons & Ages
- Minor notes: Strange Flutes corresponding to 1 of 3 animal companions in both Seasons and Ages; Bipin and Blossom's son's life trajectories.
- Deaths are counted on file menu.

The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past / Four Swords - N/A
(But deaths are counted in the ending to A Link to the Past, and all game statistics are compiled after beating Palace of the Four Sword.)

The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- 15 Nintendo Gallery figurines
* Helmaroc King: Take his picture before defeating him.
* Tetra (and pirates): Take her picture before going into Hyrule Castle basement.
* Cyclos: Take his picture before taming him with Arrows.
* Big Octo: Take its picture before defeating all 6 of them.
* Kogoli: Take his picture at Dragon Roost Island before playing Earth God's Lyric for Medli.
* Wizzrobe (mini-boss): Take his picture before defeating him in the mini-boss battle in the Wind Temple.
* Phantom Ganon: Take his picture before shooting him with a Light Arrow.
* Puppet Ganon: Take his picture before defeating all three of his forms.
* Knuckle: Complete Tingle Tuner side quest on GBA before obtaining all other figurines and Carlov closes up the Nintendo Gallery.
- Minor note: Delivery Bag (letters losable, both Beedle documents losable, Cabana Deed permanent).

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventures - N/A

The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap
- Light Arrows: Remove ghost from Gregal with Gust Jar (fuse with Stranger in Hyrule Town, then use warp point near Link's house) before using whirlwind at Veil Falls to reach Cloud Tops.
- 1 Kinstone Fusion (plus 1 Empty Bottle and Mirror Shield), PAL version only: Don't attempt to fuse with Eenie until you have the correct blue Kinstone piece.
- 1 treasure chest: Thaw and open chest under Hyrule Town library before entering Elemental Sanctuary with all 4 Elements.
- Minor note: Din’s Charm, Nayru’s Charm, Farore’s Charm (can only have 2 out of 3 per save file).

The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
- 2 letters from Ooccoo:
* Don't use Ooccoo in Forest Temple.
* Use Ooccoo in any dungeon from Goron Mines to Temple of Time, but before beating Temple of Time.
- Minor note: Ordon Shield replaced by Wooden Shield if burned.
- 2 game-ending glitches:
* Bridge of Eldin: Don't save and quit when shadow beasts remove part of bridge--at least advance north to next area first.
* Sky Cannon room (Sanctuary cellar): Don't save and quit in this room--wait until Midna warps you and the cannon to Lake Hylia.
- Unconfirmed rumor: Hawkeye snafus.

The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
- 1 Heart Container: If you don't want it, ignore the chest at the end of the Ghost Ship, then choose "No" later when the Postman offers it to you.
- Minor note: 3 Beedle coupons and Jolene’s letter are lost upon use, but leave their mark on your inventory menu (as does Prize Postcard).

It's missing Spirit Tracks, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom