• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Game Thread Guess Your Role: Poke Ball Z Mafia (BMGf/ZD Crossover Event) Endgame: TBA, Town and Survivor Win! (11/7/19)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maniacal Engineer

Conspiracy Theorist
Well. This was fun. I told y’all that Mafia would have tried to recruit me on N1, since I hadn’t planned to guess my role or alignment, and, since a second kill had popped up after N1, which went unclaimed, I figured, reasonably, that I was not Serial Killer.

So, by D2, I had deduced that I was either straight up town or a non-Hostile Indep, in which case, my best play was to side with Town.

I didn’t actually start guessing anything until Max’s Cop claim popped up. It occurred to me that Mafia could have gotten a Role Cop result on me from their attempted recruitment N1, and that they knew, based on my posts, that I wasn’t planning on guessing my role. If I was the Cop, I would be doing my faction a massive disservice by not at least checking that, since it would allow a fake Cop claim to go un-checked.

My overall strategy in not guessing anything was that it would keep Mafia off my back as far as NKs go, and it would prevent anybody from getting an accurate enough read on me to determine if I was scum, delaying my lynch until a PoE policy lynch in the late game. It was a massive WIFOM play the entire time, to the point where I didn’t even know what was going on, but, no matter which major faction I was part of (and remember, I assumed I could Town align by D2, since I hadn’t been recruited), it was a benefit to my team for me to not know what was going on, and I was guaranteed to stick around for a while and try to develop reads and strategize in the background.

It was a lot of fun to play this way, though I do know that it was frustrating for some of you. I apologize for nothing. :P

DarthWolf

Betraying Kingmaker
Were there any other abilities I had that I didn't know about?

Anyway, gg guys, this was a ton of fun! I think I played alright aside from adding a Mafioso to the neighborhood, lol. It's been awhile since I've played a game while I wasn't very busy, so that also helped me out this game.
No, check your role flip :p
Oh, also @Lone_Garurumon @DarthWolf What would have happened if one person had all the Dragonballs?
Do you even read anything the hosts post? Its right above your post in my longer post

ZinnLav

Zinnie-chan
Told you I was a roleblocker and Rubik was Mafia like three phases ago, but did anyone listen? nooo we had to drag it out :p

Did you enjoy the game?
It was interesting and fun overall

What did you think of the balance?
I found it a bit unbalanced, but it worked perfect in that nobody knew their roles to begin with

What did you think of the game's concept? Be honest, we might want to use this again in the future and it'd be good to get your feedback.
Loved it, it's always great to see Mafia games mix up the standard method of playing

If you could change one thing about the game, what would it be?
The theme, I'm not familiar with DBZ :P

Did you enjoy the flavour text?
I'll be honest, I didn't read it because I don't know the theme well enough, and when I did read it, I was confused and didn't understand much

As you may have noticed, I've not quite finished the final FT yet, would you like to be pinged when I do?
Nah s'all good

ExLight

why
Forum Volunteer
Question Time
  1. Did you enjoy the game?
  2. What did you think of the balance?
  3. What did you think of the game's concept? Be honest, we might want to use this again in the future and it'd be good to get your feedback.
  4. If you could change one thing about the game, what would it be?
  5. Did you enjoy the flavour text?
  6. As you may have noticed, I've not quite finished the final FT yet, would you like to be pinged when I do?
1. Eyy. Twas nice.
2. Twas good. I feel like it was a little too luck based tho. Mafia getting an advantage due to Town having a harder time to figure out their roles almost granted them a win, but since Town’s weird roles were taken out first we were able to bounce back stupidly fast with unCC roles.
Mafia crumbled kinda fast too, not sure what exactly caused that, maybe if you had added more tricky roles like the Ascetic to mess Town results even more so scum could try to find better fake claims. Or even remove some classic Town roles like Cop and Doctor and try to cover them with more ambiguous stuff like Sensor and Jailer.
3. It was kinda stressful. But it’s interesting, it adds even more points of discussions. I feel like the ball mechanics could get some changes, it was kinda sad that noone was able to get all 7, lol.
4. Make it a 5-shots Gladiator.
5. Loved it.
6. Yes, please.

Last edited:

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Question Time
  3. What did you think of the game's concept? Be honest, we might want to use this again in the future and it'd be good to get your feedback.
  6. As you may have noticed, I've not quite finished the final FT yet, would you like to be pinged when I do?
  1. Absolutely, it was one of the most fun games I played in awhile!
  2. I think the balance was alright. Even though Town had a role cop and traditional cop, there were enough anti-town roles to kill or counteract them.
  3. It was super fun not knowing your alignment or role and having to guess it. It was a very unique game, and it worked!
  4. I would have liked for Majority to go into effect on any Day if it was agreed upon in the thread, probably.
  5. I didn't actually read much of it toward the end of the game to be honest, but up until like Night 3, I did and I enjoyed it.
  6. Absolutely!

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Good game.

I was told when I died that I had a chance of being revived so i continued to follow the game, and I'm glad I did because it got quite intense towards the end. I genuinely wasn't sure what to think of Moe, but I was really surprised you guys didn't kill Rubik. When he claimed backup role cop, it instantly raised red flags for being an extremely convenient claim, and then when he said funnier's role after I couldn't have done more to make it more obvious, it seemed way too safe of a result.

Nonetheless, this was a really good game, and I had a lot of fun even though it started at a rather inconvenient time for me, affecting my activity. I thought the unique mechanics made it really interesting and special thanks to @Lone_Garurumon and @DarthWolf for hosting! Between the hydra game and this one, this was another highly successful crossover event between us and our friends at bulba and I look forward to more in the future!

Btw, @funnier6 you were right; I did target you night 1 for the lulz :^^:

Maniacal Engineer

Conspiracy Theorist
Question Time
1. Would have enjoyed it more if I could have stuck to my initial plan of never guessing anything and shooting DarthWolf every night, but I still had fun.

2. Town had quite a bit of information roles, to be sure, but there were also three negative utility roles among Town, including the Roleblocker, and the mechanic of not knowing our roles off the bat made it even more possible for those roles to cause massive damage to the town, early on. As it stood, the Silencer got killed N1 (luckily), but the Gladiator forced Town to waste a phase, since it setup a lynch between two confirmed Townies. Things could have been much worse for Town, but we got lucky with those earlier kills.

3. I mentioned this right off the bat in my role PM. Not knowing your alignment is idiotic. Granted, I took full advantage of that particular mechanic in this game, but it causes everyone to waste D1 entirely. I understand where you’re coming from on this one, since having Mafia need to figure out who their teammates are does slightly offset the fact that nobody knows their roles, but maybe instead have everyone know their alignment, but Mafia isn’t aware of who their teammates are until they scout them out.
That would put a bit of a burden on scum, though, and could result in accidental team kills. IDK, there may not be an easy fix for this one.

4. I didn’t kill DarthWolf enough. In actuality, it’s what I specified above.

5. It was fine. Kinda sorta outed who was in the game, which potentially allowed for flavorshooting, but not explicitly writing the flavor to reflect who killed what and so forth helped slightly with that.

6. I mean, I know I won, so that’s all that really matters in the end. Right?

Maniacal Engineer

Conspiracy Theorist
I was really surprised you guys didn't kill Rubik.
There was a plan here, at least for me.

While Rubik’s claim was extremely dubious, it wasn’t outright impossible, since, flavorwise, he might have been future Gohan (the one-armed guy). I found this to be difficult to believe, but I didn’t want to completely rule it out.
Furthermore, lynching Moe was infinitely safer, because he was either not lying and was an Indep, or he was lying and was scum.
I had deduced that, in all likelihood, Strongman and Role Cop were not the same player, and that, if there were two scum remaining, one of them would have to be Moe.
Given Occam’s razor, it was more likely that Rubik wasn’t lying about being Role Cop, which meant that, with all roles in the open, his role was useless.
Moe, on the other hand, could have still had a Strongman shot up his sleeve (which, I believe) he did.
So, not only was lynching Moe safer, because, WCS Town neither gained nor lost anything, but in BCS, Town removed the greater scum threat.

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Question Time
1. Yes
2. No
3. Yes
4. Town needs less hard investigative power and less confirmable roles. There are a lot of ways to do it, but there wasn't really much room for scum or SK to fake their way into town's good graces and it really wasn't possible to eliminate those threats faster than they appeared unless town really really messed up. You either need safe fake claims, scum roles that aren't traditionally scum, a bunch of vanilla townies, or some other way to eliminate mechanics from auto-solving the game. 2 hard investigative roles (cop and rolecop) and a soft one (watcher) was probably too much running simultaneously. Backups would have served a good purpose in this game because it meant scum couldn't just get lucky and eliminate the investigation power of town without having town immediately clearing 2 people a phase. I had fun, but I felt like we were 1 misstep from death most of the game and when we finally were dealt that blow we'd already effectively lost.
5. Yes

Rubik

King of Lorule Lounge
Good game.

I was told when I died that I had a chance of being revived so i continued to follow the game, and I'm glad I did because it got quite intense towards the end. I genuinely wasn't sure what to think of Moe, but I was really surprised you guys didn't kill Rubik. When he claimed backup role cop, it instantly raised red flags for being an extremely convenient claim, and then when he said funnier's role after I couldn't have done more to make it more obvious, it seemed way too safe of a result.

Nonetheless, this was a really good game, and I had a lot of fun even though it started at a rather inconvenient time for me, affecting my activity. I thought the unique mechanics made it really interesting and special thanks to @Lone_Garurumon and @DarthWolf for hosting! Between the hydra game and this one, this was another highly successful crossover event between us and our friends at bulba and I look forward to more in the future!

Btw, @funnier6 you were right; I did target you night 1 for the lulz :^^:
I didn't figure out Funnier's role until I copped him, though. (:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom