• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Guanajuato Mummies, ReDead Inspiration?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
The ReDead are the most terrifying enemy in OOT as far as I am concerned. They gave me nightmares as a child and stopped me sleeping many times.

Their design is quite striking and I have been curious as to the inspiration behind it.

Today I came across the Juanajuato mummies. Mexican mummies that were originally dug up because of burial tax that people couldn't afford at the time. Their pained expressions are the result of natural processes, though one of the mummies was believed to have been buried alive by mistake.

I've put it in spoilers because if you are squeamish you might not want to look at a mummy...

Mexico-Museo-de-las-Momias-Guanajuato-6.jpg

...But I make you look at this horrible ReDead for sure. Im admiring it's traps though. Those are bodybuilding level. I must say though the rest of the physique needs a lot of work if this ReDead is to be successful on stage...
redeadtropers_2221.jpg

As you will be able to see if you looked, that mexican mummy has an appearance similar to a ReDead and if any of the design team saw this it could possibly be an explanation to their design origins. However there are other mummies such as Otzi the iceman who also have a similar appearance and could well be the design inspiration at least in part.

If anyone has any other suspicions to their design origins. Feel free to post. Im interested to hear where you think the design originated from.

mαrkαsscoρ

Mr. SidleInYourDMs
ZD Champion
I don't find him to be as bad as the redeads. Probably because when I first encountered a ReDead I just thought it was just a naked brown man crouched down on the floor. You can guess what happened next.
to each their own of course, but even now as an adult, both visually and conceptually, dead hand is still one of the most disturbing things in the franchise

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom