• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Green Day

Len

Zelda On Paper
tell what song of 'em you like

i love their singles:

dookie
nimrod
warning
and 21 st breakdown

and the songs:

boulevard of broken dreams (i walk alone)
know your enemy
21 guns
warning
castaway
maci's day parade
time of your life
minority
waiting
deadbeat holyday
holyday
wake me up when september ends
and hitchin' a ride

so whats yours?

F

fallen angel

i used to listen to all their songs, me and my ex bff did actually. and when we stopped being friends because she stabbed me in the back, it kinda killed it for me... although i can stand to listen to 21 guns every now and then...

DreamDevourer

Born to Fail
Boulevard of Broken Dreams and Viva La Gloria.

Viva La Gloria for when I'm feeling strangely happy, and Boulevard of Broken Dreams when I feel normal.

Link V

Tommorow belongs to us...
green day was my favorite band in 6th grade. not so much anymore, i kinda realized how mediocre they r. BUT i do ocasionally listen to american idiot and i still like it as much as i did then. its good but EXTREMELY mainstream (PROBABLY THE MOST MAINSTREAM album i own)

I love the album Dookie. I think it is perfect. Can't even stand what they are putting out now, but that seems to happen with every band anymore.

AHHH people talking about green day... hmm the things i could say
so green day is like probably one of my all time favorite bands
39smoothedoutslappy hours = awesome album
kerplunk = awesome album
dookie = awesome album
nimrod = awesome album
ect.
i am NOT a big fan of 21 centery breakdown
american idiot was okay. but like they are getting to popular
i mean when you can start buying their stuff in a tween store then yeah thats pushing it to far.
they used to be legit punks now they kinda let that go.
they put on an awesome show tho i must admit =]

Hanyou

didn't build that
I liked a couple of Green Day songs prior to American Idiot, but always found their antics and ideas really juvenile. Everyone acts like Green Day sold out with American Idiot, which I honestly don't get. I know they changed their image and all, but I don't pay attention to that. Their themes matured and their music got to be much more well-constructed with AI.

Frankly, American Idiot is the absolute best Green Day album I've heard. It's rebellious, cantankerous, and ambitious. How many punk bands have put out concept albums, or even bothered to put a story to their music at all? Songs like "Holiday" are undeniably catchy, and my favorite track on the CD--"Jesus of Suburbia"--creates an awesome atmosphere.

I'm not a huge fan of punk anymore, but as pop-punk goes, I didn't mind American Idiot one bit. I loved the punch it had, and I loved the political bent in spite of the fact that I disagree with the band's politics. It was actually refreshing to hear that kind of thing in this day and age. All of the objections I've heard have to do with image, which is irrelevant to the quality of the music and lyrics.

Djinn

and Tonic
I have pretty much the same opinion. I loved their older stuff. Dookie was the first album by them I heard and I loved it. Kerplunk and Insomniac were great too. When I come around, She, and Basket Case are still some of my favorite songs of all time.

But anything they do acoustic or slow, I hate. It is just not what got me into them in the first place. So a totally shifted sound and style turned me off. Now everything post 2003 is just a bid for popularity again. They are now copying other people's styles just to remain on top and that means playing in a style that both is not theirs nor was it what got them there in the first pace. I see American Idiot as nothing more than just a PR stunt. Yea they got to be on a few commercials and the Simpsons Movie but they might as well have changed their name. Because obviously what I am listening to is not Green Day anymore.

Hanyou

didn't build that
II see American Idiot as nothing more than just a PR stunt. Yea they got to be on a few commercials and the Simpsons Movie but they might as well have changed their name. Because obviously what I am listening to is not Green Day anymore.

Does any of that matter? What matters is that the music is good, and I think American Idiot is lyrically and musically very well-crafted.

Every album is a "bid for popularity," or else it's a monetary loss. Most of the bands I like aren't popular, but a band isn't bad just because it's popular, either.

As for American Idiot, I think the themes it covers are much better than masturbation and whatever else they wrote about back in the day.

Djinn

and Tonic
Does any of that matter? What matters is that the music is good, and I think American Idiot is lyrically and musically very well-crafted.

Every album is a "bid for popularity," or else it's a monetary loss. Most of the bands I like aren't popular, but a band isn't bad just because it's popular, either.

As for American Idiot, I think the themes it covers are much better than masturbation and whatever else they wrote about back in the day.

I really do not care about the themes they cover if the music itself is in my mind terrible. Then I just equate it to things like protest songs heard on many a campus and downtown corner. Yes their message of peace and ending war is nice, but they really have no business singing anything. And the message itself is not what drives me to listen to someone. For me the mood and sound of the song itself is what I like. If the song is able to bring up a certain emotional response or a memory of some event then that is what I listen for. A few bands are great at doing just this. And the early Green Day albums had in my mind songs that have that sound quality that I like. The tone and rhythm are to my tastes. Even if they are singing about getting beat up by their girlfriend or loosing their sanity.

I do not believe that every song must have a specific neo-political message or be required to listen to songs I dislike because of it. All opinions are in the eye (or in this case ear) of the beholder and are always subject to the listener's tastes. Not everyone has the same reason for listening to what they consider good. And in the case of American Idiot, I do not believe that they were even trying to be Green Day anymore. They were trying to be Fall out Boy.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I've never heard Fall Out Boy--I'm a metalhead/proghead so my knowledge of punk is limited to what I listened to in my teenage years, which was mostly mainstream.

What struck me about American Idiot was that they channeled raw anger in a way I hadn't heard from most mainstream punk bands. They're no Sex Pistols, but they took advantage of the anthemic medium in much the same way. It's not just that "Holiday" is catchy, but that it's intensely emotional. My reaction, even just taking into account the melodies, was the polar opposite of yours. In terms of music, I thought it was impeccable. On "Jesus of Suburbia," the short melodies transition seamlessly into each other to paint a diverse, ever-changing soundscape. Boulevard of Broken Dreams really does sound broken, and Whatsername sounds properly nostalgic. "She's a Rebel" is one of my favorites, because it's so simple you'll probably remember it the first time you hear it--like you brought up, it reminds me of protest songs.

Concerning lyrical themes, like I said, I'm a metalhead and proghead so maybe I focus on different things. Lyrics don't always matter, but when bands want them to, they should, and in a concept album (what American Idiot is) they are impossible to ignore. Green Day was trying to tell a story.

Around the same time I was listening to American Idiot, I happened to pick up my first Dream Theater album (they're now one of my favorite bands), Metropolis pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory. Of the two albums, the only one I continue to listen to is SfaM; it's much more well-written and much less juvenile overall. But the Dream Theater album (here's a sample, if you're interested) primed me for American Idiot. All the words meant something in the context of a larger story, which at the time wasn't something I was familiar with. Subsequently, I wasn't expecting a pop-punk band to write 9-minute epics or delve into political themes, and when they did it reminded me of my newfound love of storytelling in music. Honestly, if you know of another punk band that has done anything like this, please tell me about it, because I would like to hear them. Green Day's no Dream Theater, but the fact that they even attempted something as ambitious is worth mentioning.

Maybe I feel this way because punk's not my genre anymore, and it wasn't when I listened to American Idiot, either. I had grown out of it and felt it had nothing worthwhile to offer. I wouldn't have expected Green Day, of all bands, to throw me a curveball, but it did, and I just respect them for that. When people bash Green Day for being emo and such, they speak a language I don't understand--I just know that it's the first mainstream punk that actually seemed like it had something relevant to say since Bad Religion. And damn, can they tell a story. Concept albums are commercial suicide, and somehow Green Day got people interested in them. To me, that actually brought punk some credibility.

Keep in mind, about the only political issue I agree with Green Day on is their anti-war stance, so it's not exactly like they're pandering to my views, either.

Hanyou

didn't build that
Why is being mainstream a bad thing?

The Beatles were mainstream, and I don't hear people bashing them. In their time, Yes was mainstream. So was Black Sabbath. I could go on.

Being mainstream is not inherently bad, but Green Day fans (and Metallica fans, for that matter) have some weird aversion to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom