• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Greatest Game Of All Time

What Is The Greatest Game Ever?

• Ocarina of Time

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A Link To The Past

• Final Fantasy VII

• Finaly Fantasy X

• Chrono Trigger

• Metal Gear Solid 4

• Super Mario 64

• Super Mario Bros. 3

• Resident Evil 4

• Other

• Total voters

Majora's Cat

How about that
This has been a subject of debate for years now, and has become one of the most argued subjects in the gaming world. Here it is - what is the greatest game of all time? I believe whole-heartedly that it is OoT, but many others believe that MGS or Chrono Trigger are indeed the greatest. What is the best game ever in your opinion?

If you disagree with the options listed, you may tell me what your favorite is, and why it is the greatest of all time.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I love strategy games, so with that in mind my favourite would have to be Total War: Medieval II (Kingdoms Expansion Pack).

well when i was doing my Senior research project (which was about the legend of Zelda series) I learned that Oot was voted the very best game Nintendo ever made, all nintendo systems included.

yann

TheBitterDubstepMan
I picked other, because I believe there is no such thing >__>. Anyway, don't you think posting something like this on a Zelda forum site is basically wanting people to agree with you? Especially since the only Zelda option is OoT

Oh, I always thought A Link To The Past was considered a Zelda game? Must be old age catching up with me.
;)

Although, it seems you haven't spent much time in the General Gaming section of this Forum. Everyone here loves Zelda, don't get me wrong. However, a lot of people here don't consider it their favourite gaming series, luckily there's a lot of variety here at Zelda Dungeon.

I have a few favourite games on that list but I have to go with Red Dead Redemption. I can't quite pin what I truly love about this game. I just do.

Kybyrian

I honestly think Ocarina of Time is the greatest game of all time. I know, I know, I'm a fanboy. I can't help it. Ocarina of Time was my very first game. I absolutely loved it, it just got me all the more interested in not only Zelda games, but video games altogether. Ocarina of Time is just one of those games that you find enjoyable just because. You can't really point specifics out aside from the fact that it was just extremely fun to play. It had a decent story, decent gameplay, decent characters, and whatever else. There isn't much to bring the game down. It was just very enjoyable to play, and not to mention my first game. I have no doubt that it being my first makes me think higher of it. I'm not going to be like a lot of people and deny that fact, but I don't think it matters all that much, honestly. I always feel like there's some factor that you cannot just point out that makes the game so much more enjoyable.

Chrono Trigger comes in at a close second, however. Chrono Trigger was an amazing game. I absolutely loves RPGs, and this was better than any of the Final Fantasy games. It had so much to it, and just blew my mind. The different endings kept you playing to try to achieve them all and the different equipment and the little things to do made it all the more enjoyable. You just can't deny the awesomeness of swords and magic, it's what made so many games great.

Majora's Cat

How about that
Actually, I on't want everyone to vote for OoT. I was hoping for some varied answers. From my experiences, FF games and MGS games are often voted as the best, as well as games like Halo and GTA III. I picked many of the options because of the Best.Game.Ever 2009 poll on GameFAQS (plus, I noticed lots of people liked them).

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
My favourite game of all time is Banjo-Kazooie. I love the music, the gameplay, the characters - everything. Although Banjo-Tooie is climbing up there as of late. That game also has great music, gameplay and characters, but also has a great sense of humour; some of which somewhat shocks me as it's a family game. :P
I'm actually trying to think of things I don't like about the game, but I simply cannot. Unless you count the fact that the first time I played it, I absolutely hated the game (just like OoT. haha), but eventually I gree to love it.

As for games on the list, I could have to choose Chrono Trigger and Super Mario Bros. 3. I fell in love with Chrono Trigger instantly. I was imediately taken into the kingdom of Guardia and actually felt like I was doing something, and not just because the dots on the screen tell me to. The storyline, the endlings, the characters the music. Oh, I could go on and on. It's also the reason why I bought my DS. If it weren't for CT I probably still wouldn't have one. haha
And Super Mario Bros. 3 is actually there somewhat out of Nostalgia. I used to play the game all the time with my sister and my friends, and I couldn't get enough of it. Of course, then things happened and I wasn't allowed to play the Nes anymore, so I was devastated. then I found the wonders of Roms (shame) and was brought back to my goomba-stomping days as a child. Of course, now I own it on VC so I can play it fair and square, and I still sometimes play it with my sister or with my friends, and it's just as much fun now as it was 15+ years ago.

Earthbound. It's got pretty much everything an RPG needs: story, graphics, deep gameplay, variety, and something that is seemingly lost in RPGs today; comedic relief. I honestly love Chrono Trigger, Dragon Warrior, and a little bit of Final Fantasy. But the only reason I rarely play them as much as Earthbound is because it's SO boring to constantly listen to all this backstory and explanation. That's good that they have that, because it's taking a step forward in storytelling in games. However, it gets monotonous to hear the same formula: "Long ago, in (the dark ages/long time ago) in the land of (random name), there was a (mystical relic/war/hot princess). However, (bad guy does something with that war/relic for his own benefit and/or the nation's deterioration). The land of (random name) began to perish, but then the golden hero with (a defining trait) named (random name from a religious text) came in and kicked the bad guy's butt and then everyone was happy again. Now the bad guy's doing it again, and you have to stop it because you descended from that hero. Go forth and grab the (random # of mystical relics) to restore peace and destroy that evil guy."
Earthbound just has aliens invade earth and then some careless mother let's her child trust a time-traveling bee to go out and defeat that alien. However, his fat-next door neighbor decides to join the alien, so now it becomes more funny to see that fat kid taunt the protagonists so childishly. It's also funny to see all these pop culture references like the yellow submarine, Mr. T, and a lot of similarities between soundtracks and other famous songs like Johnny B. Goode. They also have mystical relics that have little to no relevance to the story. Once during the end boss sequence, you'll hear about this "Apple of Enlightenment". That's the only time you hear about it. The game just uses it as a way to tell a prophecy instead of some guy in robes falling from the sky and warning the bad guys of their defeat.
In short: I like Earthbound because it is different, it uses creativity, and it makes pop culture jokes. I think those earn it the title "greatest game of all time".

[FONT= "Comic Sans MS"]I didn't really see any of my favorite games on there. Most of them are good, but my favorite game of all time is Star Ocean: The Second Story.[/FONT]

i've always thought that OoT was the greatest game for too many reasons to name. to put it simply, i think it's the closest we've come to an absolutely perfect game. although i also just LOVE chrono trigger. it's my favorite RPG, but it just barely loses to OoT

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Out of this list I completed OoT a few times. I'm not a real gamer so I don't know the other games very well. I loved OoT but to call it the greatest game ever is a bit too much. There are so many great games and again I think I am the last person to judge considering I never played the other games besides Mario.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom