• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Great Games That Are Out Classed

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Every gamer likely has their own subjective list of greatest games that were ever made. While the impact of some games among these lists for video games as a whole usually cannot be disputed, are these games really "perfect" in comparison to modern games?

The best example I can think of is with Ocarina of Time. It was an amazing game for it's timeframe, but when stacked up against modern games that have giant open worlds packed with hundreds of NPCs, immersive narratives, and tons of sidecontent, it's surpassed. So, can it still objectively be said that Ocarina of Time is the greatest game ever made, although other games went on to do what it set a standard for and executed it better?

I'm not saying games that are considered great don't derserve their status, I'm just saying if there is an objectively better game, shouldn't that game be considered better than the one that was formerly being called the best, but has been beaten?

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Ocarina of Time is the reason these new games exist in the way that they do and it introduced mechanics that are staples in games that followed and remain to this day.

It's music whilst not even produced by live instruments is iconic and seems to perfectly match each area.

It's a game that can be very funny, light, mysterious and scary at times and is full of unique and iconic characters.

The story is simple but there is a lot to read into. There is a great video on the subtext of OOT and I reccomend any Zelda fan take the time to watch it. https://youtu.be/GyUcwsjyd8Q

There are great mysteries in OOT and from all the theorising that has been done over all the years, this is not disputable.

There is just something incredibly special about this game and I don't believe that its just nostalgia because most modern games don't even pull off what OOT managed to 20 years ago.

I think it's the greatest game of all time not because it's technically perfect but because of what it has managed to achieve and inspire and it still continues to have influence to this day. People are still making videos about it. Modern games are still using mechanics it introduced.

I think The Witcher 3 is a technically superior game it's actually my favourite game but it can't do for gaming what OOT did which is why I still consider OOT the greatest.

Sheikah_Witch

I just really like botw
I like to compare Super Mario 64 to Super Mario Galaxy - you'd think that Galaxy is objectively better than 64, because it's bigger, better, more badass. But it lacks the minutiae and the tactile feedback of 64 in my opinion, and maybe even the nitty-gritty of the level design - like the placement of obstacles and enemies, and stuff like pacing and difficulty ramping.

I think the devil is in the details with these classic games like OoT and Final Fantasy VII. They have been beaten to pulps on the front of immersive open worlds, vast vistas, graphical fidelity, music and story, but that's not the immediate appeal of the classics. OoT blew people away when it came out with it's unparalleled world design, but it remained in people's hearts because of so much else.

The way I see it, there's still so much that classic games does better, and has always done better, despite being so technically inferior.

I hope I interpreted the topic correctly.

All the really great games need to be taken in context. As in considered as a product of the era they were released. No game will be better than games released 30 years after it. Impossible because progress happens. So all we need is some fond memories, a little nostalgia hit and a port that makes the game playable with more modern (way after the original game released) control schemes.

Literally every single game ever made will be outclassed as they should be. However they can be still great to play as a slice of gaming from an era in the past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom