• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Great actors who were wasted on bad parts

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I wanted to make a thread on poor film characters that had a good actor wasted on them.

Recently I would give the example of Javier Bardem and his role as Captain Salazar. Bardem is a great actor and brought Bond villain Raoul Silva to life, he was also fantastic in No Country For Old Men yet the actor was wasted on Captain Salazar who was an unintriguing character and dull villain who no actor could save.

I want to know about any other roles you think had a good actor wasted on them?

Jennifer Connelly in Hulk....

John C Reilly in anything where he is second fiddle to Will Farrell. John is a damn fine actor but he sells himself short and cripples his talent hanging around that doofus.

Raoul Julia in everything he was in. That man was the Michael Jackson of the screen. Too much charisma and raw talent for the screen to handle.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Brendan Fraser in basically all of his recent movies.

Great actor, but choose poorly

LOL wut recent movies?

Daniel Craig as James Bond I'm pretty sure is the inspiration for this thread.

Great Actor. Love him in everything else I've seen him in. Lousy Bond. I used to think he was just receiving bad direction, but I've since come to believe that he really doesn't have a handle on the character.

LOL wut recent movies?

Great Actor. Love him in everything else I've seen him in. Lousy Bond. I used to think he was just receiving bad direction, but I've since come to believe that he really doesn't have a handle on the character.

Also he doesnt care and would 'rather cut his wrists' than play Bond again.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
LOL wut recent movies?

It was actually the conversation about Christoph Waltz being wasted on Blofeld which inspired the thread.

Mellow Ezlo

Spoony Bard
Say what you will about Hayden Christensen, but the guy's got some genuine acting talent. Keep in mind that experience =/= talent. Hayden's role in Star Wars was butchered by the screenplay, not his acting ability. More experienced actors, such as Liam Neeson or Ewan McGregor, were able to make the script work somehow. Hayden, talented as he can be, was wasted on a poor screenplay, with an acting inexperience that held him back from really making the most of the poor script. Same could be said about Natalie Portman, really.

Don't believe me? Watch Life as a House or The Virgin Suicides. The man can act. Also give Revenge of the Sith a rewatch. You can see he really tries to be good, but it's hard to make that kind of script work for a relatively inexperienced actor. Even in Attack of the Clones, his scenes in which he has few lines and relies moreso on facial expressions and body movements to carry them, are some of the best acted scenes in the respective movies. Like the scene when his mother dies. Genuinely well acted. If I had to read a script like that, I wouldn't be able to keep a straight face, so props to them tbh.

Castle

Ch!ld0fV!si0n
Pan-decepticon-transdeliberate-selfidentifying-sodiumbased-extraexistential-temporal anomaly
Literally the entire cast of the JJ-makes-a-star-trek-that-totes-isn't-wars movies. It's simultaneously impressive and repulsive having to watch these actors try to perform with one of the most godawful scripts ever written and actually end up doing a pretty good job of it all things considered. That's a testament to good acting.

And most of them with the exception of Karl Urban I didn't like at first. Before that, Zoe Saldana was only in Avatard, which was poo-poo. But then I saw her in Guardians of the Galaxy. And I'd pretty much written off Chris Pine as the latest pretty boy teen heart throb, but then I saw him in Hell or High Water. Urban is still one of Hollywood's most underrated actors. Make another Dredd movie for f-ks sake!!

*ahem* Anyway, the cast of Sthurrr Trik try their best to do more than just pretend to be DeForest Kelly, Leonard Nimoy, William Shatner, et. al. as badly as the script demands of them. But all the best acting talent in the universe couldn't salvage those godawful scripts.

Reactions: Dio

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom