• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Graphics Vs Gameplay

Graphics or Gameplay

• Graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gameplay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I've always enjoyed the Gameplay better myself. Sure the graphics can make it look more appealing, but look at how the games were back in the day. The graphics were terrible by todays standards and yet people absolutely loved them because of the Gameplay. If it wasn't for that, games would not be where they are today and definitely graphics wouldn't it make a difference.

Talking about graphics is pointless.
Visually, art style matters so much more than how the game was optimized for the console.
I mean, does anyone really care about how realistic a game looks?

PhantomTriforce

I am a Person of Interest
Both components, graphics and gameplay, should be taken into consideration when playing/deciding to get a game. In my opinion, while graphics are important to a certain point, gameplay is almost always the more significant of the two. An example I like to use while on this subject are is the Oracle series from Zelda. Comparing the graphics from the Oracle series to the graphics from A Link to the Past, I likes the graphics from A Link to the Past more, and thought that the graphics from the Oracle series could have been better. However, graphics didn't play a large role at all during the game and didn't make me not want to get the game, since I new that the gameplay of the Oracle series would be superb. Since gameplay played a much larger role, I got it. I think that gameplay plays a larger role most of the time, and therefore, gameplay is more important than graphics.

Sydney

The Good Samaritan
Regardless of how bad the graphics are, the gameplay is all that matters.
For example:
Twilight Princess has been said to have bad graphics due to it's semi-realistic style.
But the gameplay was fantastic.
As long as you can see what you're doing, decipher the characters, and understand the story/plot, you're in good shape. :)
(or the game is anyways, lol)

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
A combination of both. They kinda compliment each other. Gameplay without graphics = wonderful game, but ugly at the same time. Graphics without gameplay = Beautiful game, but unplayable. I wish there was an option for "Both" on this poll.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
If a game has wonderful graphics yet terrible gameplay, it's only going to be aesthetically pleasing, but nothing else. I mean, how am I meant to enjoy wonderful scenery and storyline if I can't get around the gameplay mechanics? :O

There definitely has to be a solid balance struck. Leaning too much on one side is going to send the whole game off the rails! I think many developers spend too much time focusing on one element opposed to the other and that's why many games lose appeal to the wider audience and thus fail sales wise. Most of the time it's too much focus on graphics, but that's just a general observation.

MonkeyFightSquad

*LAUGHS EVILLY*
Game play is the biggest part for me. Graphics are still important but game play is the best. Would you rather play a game with great graphics or a game with great game with bad graphics and amazing game play. I think the answer is clear. Think about the Nes and the old Legend of Zelda games. They had bad graphics,(no offense) but they were so fun. While some games have great graphics but are not very fun. Do you see what I mean. Game play means a lot more than graphics.

Hanyou

didn't build that
I've said this elsewhere--gaming is a visual medium. So is film. Plot is often, but not always, central to film, but visuals are important. A similar thing can be said of a video game.

Of course gameplay is important and absolutely central. But visuals (not necessarily graphics) are important too, and can be an integral part of the gameplay. Consider Riven:

[video=youtube;fgqunnw_Lm0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgqunnw_Lm0[/video]

How could anyone, after playing this game or even seeing these clips, say "graphics don't matter?" The visuals are integral to the experience, and, indeed, are so seamlessly incorporated into the gameplay that the two are inseparable. Riven is a visceral experience, and if you take away the visuals, you take away almost all of that experience.

As such, I'm not voting in the poll. The two are not set against each other, and neither is necessarily less relevant.

People who think Graphics are better than the gameplay is not a gamer. How could you put graphical design before the actual gameplay elements? Great graphics are nice to have, but not necessary for a good game.

ComposerBrother

Composer of Hyrule
flash_games.png

I believe this picture said my thousand words.

Gameplay of course! However this doesnt mean graphics dont matter at all. You are looking at it and obviously you want to enjoy what you are looking at. I also kind of have a issue on what people consider good graphics, it always seems to translate to "Graphics" = "How realistic". I personally do not think of it this way, for example i really enjoyed the art style of windwaker, and the more recent game in developement "Ni No Kuni" art style looks absolutly beautiful and i am very much looking forward to that one.

ShadowDiety

Nanomachines, son.
Gameplay is the most important thing in gaming, with story following behind it, then soundtrack, and finally graphics. Sometimes I even prefer older graphics compared to graphics today, because they had more color and creativity. That might be just me, but it's how I feel about them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom