• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Graphics Vs Gameplay

Graphics or Gameplay

• Graphics

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Gameplay

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i have to say overall gameplay in my opinion is much more important than graphics. remember graphics while they may be quite beautiful in some games, they dont make up the game entirely and they also dont determine how much fun you have with the game. afterall if i judged a game entirely on graphics then i wouldnt be going back and playing final fantasy 7 from time to time :D

TF/HH

TwilightFlame/HylianHero
GAMEPLAY!!!!!!!!!!!! My two favorite games ever, which are also the only two perfect games ever, both have crappy graphics, and they're way better than anything else anyone has produced within the last eight years.

Gameplay. There are a lot of games out there that look great but don't play well. Graphics don't make a game, it just helps it. Gameplay is what keeps fans coming back and asking for more.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
Graphics are more important than most extremely loyal Nintendo fans care to admit. And they're also not as important as the fanatic troll fans of Xbox and Playstation make it out to be either.

I think subconsciously most of the fans that say graphics don't matter much are just assuming they're supporting Nintendo. What most gamers fail to realize is that the Nintendo Wii games don't have "bad" graphics because of some statement they want to make or because of some stylistic choice. The reason Wii game graphics are bad is simple. It's because unlike the other two console makers, Nintendo didn't want to sell the Wii at a loss. So what they did was basically just repackage the GameCube in a new shell. That is why the Wii graphics aren't any better than the GameCube's. It's essentially the same system. It is because of this choice that the Wii was the cheapest console and how Nintendo was able to make so much money on console sales of the Wii.

So contrary to the popular assumption, the poor graphics of the Wii were simply due to financial considerations and not stylistic or artistic choice. Nintendo wanted the Wii to be HD, but it couldn't do that without selling the system at a loss.

Graphics are very important. However I think most everyone can agree that gameplay takes precedent. Good graphics are useless when coupled with poor gameplay. However graphics are important to immersion. It's what draws you into the game world. Only trailing behind gameplay and controls. But it is entirely possible for the other aspects to be good enough that you still get great immersion with less than great graphics. I'd say after graphics, music or story comes next, which one exactly depends greatly on your tastes.

Majora

The Hero Slayer
I've played poorly made flash games with bad graphics for longer than I've bothered to play the top shooters everyone seems to like "because of the graphics". I mean yes if we want to take this to an obnoxious degree, graphics matter when given the choice between everything being 2d squares with no textures or everything being hyperrealistic. But when I walk into a store to buy videogames, I try to avoid walking out with a bag of movies. Because I'd rather play something that I have fun with than play something that looks more realistic than the prequel game that came out last year or whatever. So, gameplay.

In the long term, I would prefer gameplay over graphics as gameplay is what makes the game so fun. But while graphic is not the overall concern in videogames, they too are important to the whole picture. Graphics make the game appealing and tells the audience whether actual effort was placed into. If the game graphics is ugly, outdated, or looks cheap in any way, the audience will be turned off by them because it indicates that it is a bad game. This is why many of the Wii shovelware and bad games have graphics of N64 even though the Wii is at Gamecube's level of graphics. In all, both are needed to make a great game, it's just that gameplay is slightly more important.

SNOlink

I'm baack. Who missed me?
While I feel that graphics are good and definitely add to the game, I still prefer gameplay over it because...well...it's actually the game. You could have a game with great graphics but poor gameplay and it wouldn't be as good. Same goes the other way. If a game had really bad graphics but had good gameplay, it would still be a good game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Graphics are the first thing I look at when picking a franchise that I am not familiar with. Presentation is so important with picking games, good gameplay is what keeps you playing. I find that games that look crappy often are, it's because not enough effort has been put in. What upsets me is when games with great gameplay don't look so good, this is because I feel the game itself is not done justice. I hate the fact that the wii is only in SD because there are some superb games with outstanding gameplay, that could look better. Games like Super mario galaxy TP and SS which have amazing gameplay should be equally as fantastic visually and the SDness of the Wii really do them an injustice. I want games to be proud of, something I can say something like ' that Skyward Sword is amazing' and the guy I say it to will be like 'Yeah I saw a trailer for that and it looked really good', rather than 'what that crappy looking wii game? If you say so...'

I would say both are important. I just think it is naive of people who say graphics are not important at all. I'd say gameplay makes a game graphics make it better. Games don't have to look like the best thing ever to be great, they just need to look up to standard.

Dan

I choose game play over graphics obviously but I feel the graphics don't matter as long as the game looks good and presentable a common issue with graphics is there not really being used so well on modern machines. Most of the time there used to create pooey brown and grey colors and it's a tad bit boring. I enjoy games with some colour. I do prefer more "cartoony" graphics than games that go for realistic graphics. Games that go for really realistic graphics often don't age well (See driver for PS1) where's games with "cartoony graphics" still look pleasing to the eye do this day , to me anyway. Crash bandicoot , Spyro the dragon , croc etc.

Alright I believe I have started to argue about something not really relative to the subject BUT gameplay over graphics ! If I'm not having fun with the gameplay Some pretty ****ing graphics aren't going to keep me captivated for long !

ironknuckle1

Archer Extraordinaire
I would have to say gamrplay. i say this because when I play a game i am looking for a fun experience so the gameplay would matter over the graphics. An example is that I love to play old NES games. They may not have as good of graphics but many of them make up for that with their amazing gameplay.

WechyPichu

is hiding behind 7 froxie
Some retards at school said they would buy a game that was just a white box but with the the greatest grapics in the world rather than a game with crappy graphics, but the greatest gameplay ever.

Everyone who prefers graphics over gameplay is stupid in certain ways/

I prefer cohesive gameplay and storyline over graphics. Sure, I like a game to look good, but I want a game that PLAYS good more, and one that has a good storyline.

Gameplay without a doubt. To me, graphics are an added bonus. But for a game to truly be good, it needs to be a good within itself. Some people think that graphics are essential for a game to be good. For example, I play CoD on an Xbox. but before I had and Xbox, I did play CoD on the Wii. And what doesn't make any sense is that people over Xbox LIVE say that CoD is SO MUCH BETTER on the 360 than on the Wii. But how? If it's the same game, how is it better on another console just because one has better graphics? And what I like about Nintendo is that they understood that the Wii didn't have the greatest graphics, but they made Skyward Sword with a beautiful art style that was made better with 480p graphics. That, to me, was almost like Nintendo spat in the faces of Microsoft and Sony. Now, I'm not saying that all games with good graphics are bad (i.e. L.A. Noire and the Uncharted series are some of my favorite games of all time). What I am saying is that it's possible to make a game with bad graphics that can easily outclass those with good graphics.

Game play! no point in having a nice looking game if its awful to play :P

That being said i want both :P but only require good game play

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom