• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Graphics of Zelda Wii

Kazumi

chagy
In a recent interview with Sir Eiji of Aonuma in the Official Nintendo Magazine, he said that the graphical style of Zelda Wii has not yet been decided. Which is kind of a shock for me, since he also said that they are well into development of the game.. So you'd think that they'd know by know. I kind of wonder what the hell they are doing over there in Kyoto.. Seriously. But the important part is that he said that they have not been finalized, and it actually may be Cel-Shaded. Though they're pretty sure that it will be realistic.. You may have also read before that they are trying to best the graphics of Monster Hunter Tri (I can't wait for that game..). Apparently good old Eiji is actually playing through it to see if they would like to borrow any aspects from it.. Interesting. AND, Eiji said that they really hope to have something for E3 2010.. But we already know that..

The main point of this thread however, is to ask, Which graphical style do you want?.. And also to give you that bit of info. The interesting bits of the article can be found here: http://www.zeldainformer.com/2009/12/onm-interview-reveals-zelda-wii-details.php

Personally, I feel that a realistic Cel-Shading approach would be the most interesting. Like a blend between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. It would be Cel-Shaded like WW, but with a realistic style, opposed to cartoon, like TP. And then just add the Majora's Mask colour pallet, and you've got an epic win.. To bad it'll never happen..

The cartoon-like style is definitely something I would not like to see in future installments, and especially not for the first Zelda Wii. I'd rather a more realistic, but stylized approach.

Like you mentioned, I wouldn't mind the colour palette of a game like Majora's Mask, perhaps lighter/darker in sections. Honestly, I think a style more like the up-coming Diablo III might be interesting, with brighter colours more of a contrast to the darker backgrounds, and darker scenery in certain areas. Whilst some places are much more vibrant, I like the idea of contrast, in this sense.

I would like the graphical style to be more atmospheric, so to speak. With a lot of depth and layers - something a cartoon-ish style can't really portray.

G

gokul.beeshman

I think that the realistic approach they had in TP will be carried on in Zelda Wii and that the cel shaded graphics will be for the DS games now on. After all the Wii games represent the hardcore Zelda gaming whereas the DS games try new innovative methods in order to attract casual gamers into the series.

T

The.PostMan-

I personaly would like the graphics to stay in the TP ballpark but I would like more of a MM color palette and instead of realistic (ex)trees make them all twisted and sur-real. Astral Observerty in MM it was so pretty an magical. Especially if hyrule isent the only world feature: there are rumors of Termina being involved? that would be a cool aspect of the game. I have to say i doubt thats what its going to be but thats what i would like to see (:

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
I honestly think that the WW graphics were among the best of the series. Realistic it is not, but cel-shading was clear and beautiful. TP's graphics felt a little blurred in some places and jagged in others. Then again, realism works better on the consoles in my opinion because there's the capacity for photo-realism. Perhaps they could combine TP realism with WW cel-shading. That being said, I'm not sure how that would look.

I guess what I really want is some new stylized approach. I mean, not so stylized that it's abstract, but something dynamic. I almost want something akin to Okami, but I doubt that'll ever happen.

L

Lesella

As long as they dont go back to 2D Im happy (I could never focus on 2D games long)

The Wind waker graphics were incredibly beautiful, but I think that it should stay on the DS, and I guess Aonuma thinks so too.
Something I would love to see are more elaborate facial expressions just like in WW, but it would be difficult to do in realistic graphs.
I wasnt't completely happy with Twilight Pricess's art style, I just don't know why.
About the art stile, I would like to see a wide, gorgeous world, beautiful, with some dark parts like in Majora's mask.

T

Twilight One

We all know the game will have the best graphics on the Wii, and we don't know what that will be, but judging on Monster Hunter Tri, it will simply be AWESOME!

I loved the art style (in the manuals, the actual artwork) of OoT and MM, they were really great and beautiful. Somber and Alive at the same time, hard to explain... for example, I like the designs of Link and Zelda in OoT, but I'm glad they changed the colors... Link and Zelda's hair color was yellow gold... for link, with the blue eyes, that described the pure heart and body of our Hero, in Zelda, also purity but also weakness... Their outfit color schemes were changed thanks! The Golden Hair and Pink dress don't suit for Zelda, they fit more with stupid Princess Peach... Zelda is not a damsel in distress just because they need one, she's Princess Zelda. At first I hated the change from golden to brown hair, but that makes her more mature and serious. The Pinks have grown into lavender, a richer, nobler colour. They do really well just by changing colors, I haven't talked about the actual polygons, texture sizes and HD graphics...

They first need to make the world coherent with what story they want to tell. I don't imagine Spirit Tracks with the anxious and somber music and style of Majora's Mask. If they make an Adult Link for this game, we won't get childish acting like the very Spirit Tracks... Even though I loved it, they really tore down zelda character to yet another rich heiress... She was always having childish and selfish dialogue and the fear of rats is a joke! She helps you defeating Byrne in the Tower but freaks at the sight of mice... come on! You wouldn't see that in a TP style game. NEVER EVER!!!
Now that we know this is going to start with TP as a base, but adding to it, we could have something along the lines of a new Majora's Mask, best game! (The time system really doesn't help people to love it but it was to make you more apart of the world.) We should see more lands, even more than Hyrule itself. That means that the villain will threaten the whole world (read planet) and not just Hyrule. We will have more varied overworld, not just your typical Death Mountain and Kakariko Village. They should still be there to ensure of continuity though. But that would be great to see the return of long lost locales and maybe new lands, like Calatia (search for it on google)...

The game will be beautiful and diverse, okay but they have not to make TP and Monster Hunter Tri mistakes, the Bubble Fields... When you look at both games maps, the field is large but is made of many paths that load the terrain before you get to it, in Zelda wii, they should make the far terrain in LOD and then load stuff in the background when needed, that way, we don't see the loading and can't figure when it occurs. TP had a great draw distance but the Wii is more powerful, so use it!

They need realistic water this time around. I want to see waves rolling on the shore and move, not an ugly plane that serves as water. Super Mario Sunshine did it on the Gamecube! Also, make the trees move in the wind, that adds more details and helps having a lively world.

They do have a dual DVD media so compressed and blurry textures are not an excuse. Since most of the game space is not programming or engine related, most of the data that take chunks of space are the actual 'graphics' (A game is only 0 and 1 after all, it's the graphics that make you believe you control a character on a field... not the other way around). What I mean is take as much space needed for crisp beautiful textures, models, music and all else. I remember on the Smash Bros Dojo, someone asked if the game was too big it had to be made on multiple discs. The developer answered not to worry, the game was fitting all on a single optical disc.

And yet SSBB features more than 312 music tracks (16 hours and 1,09 Go) plus al the characters and trophys and game modes and extras! Zelda TP had more than 223 music tracks, like 5,8 hours and since it's midi synthetised music I won't say more than 100mb (as A N64 USF soundtrack is just a few mbs (mostly around 4-5mb in size)) A gamecube Disc fits in 1,5 Go of Data (that's the max allowed for Zelda TP as it's a gamecube game ported to wii... However, Wii discs can have a dual layer that makes them able to carry 8,5 Go, that's 7 times more than Game Cube capacity! That's just music facts I gathered, but for actual textures and models, it's basically the same thing, even way more, let's say a game code like TP without any Graphic or Music could fit between 50-75 mb. So game cube 1,5 Go - 100 musical mbs - 50-75 Game Coding Mbs = lots of place for graphics. You do the Math on a wii perspective :)

Anyways thanks for reading though, I always end up writing novels! :)
I hope these informations were somewhat useful to you. For me, they make the hype even bigger.

Bye, for now!

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
The Pinks have grown into lavender, a richer, nobler colour. They do really well just by changing colors.

They need realistic water this time around. I want to see waves rolling on the shore and move, not an ugly plane that serves as water. Super Mario Sunshine did it on the Gamecube! Also, make the trees move in the wind, that adds more details and helps having a lively world.

I agree with both of these points 100%

The color schemes for characters and environments really sets the mood of the games. As do details like swaying trees and surf! I'd love to see both.

I hope the graphics are stunning. But more importantly, I hope the world is well crafted and that the art direction is masterful. They should be hiring architects, landscape architects, and sculptors to consult. They should be gunning to match Pixar's quality of animation.

Beauty. I want beauty.

While I don't really care in the end which graphics they come with, I'd still prefer to see cartoonish graphics. I really fell in love with Wind Waker and everything that it had in it that had to do with graphics, and I hope that we can someday get back to seeing those graphics on the Wii, and not just sticking to the DS forever. At the same time, maybe even more important than what type of graphics they are, how much detail there is. It's not really so much about if it's realistic or all colorful, it's, does this look as close to being perfect as it can be? Does this really max out the Wii and any other system's capability, and make me think that this is even greater than the world I'm living in.

T

Twilight One

While I don't really care in the end which graphics they come with, I'd still prefer to see cartoonish graphics. I really fell in love with Wind Waker and everything that it had in it that had to do with graphics, and I hope that we can someday get back to seeing those graphics on the Wii, and not just sticking to the DS forever. At the same time, maybe even more important than what type of graphics they are, how much detail there is. It's not really so much about if it's realistic or all colorful, it's, does this look as close to being perfect as it can be? Does this really max out the Wii and any other system's capability, and make me think that this is even greater than the world I'm living in.

I do agree with a part of your claim, however, I think the game's art style should follow the story, not be a cartoon because we want it that way. A realistic Phantom Hourglass or Minish Cap wouldn't be really good to me... Now that they said that they made an Adult Link for the game and that it's story would be deeper than TP, it's 100% sure they'll have the stylized realism... However, it would be great to see a zelda game with normal proportions in Cel-Shading... It could change the thing a bit... I didn't hate the Wind Waker's graphics, just that they suited that story arc better, notice how it and the following chronological games on the DS are in the same style... Like Oot and MM were made in the same idea with different palettes and hues... TP and Zelda Wii could be another Sub Story Arc in the Zelda Legends... I think they make a different Art Style every different Story Arc.

Bye :)

I agree with you, and I guess I never really did clarify.

I know the story is what the graphics are dependent on, I would just prefer to see them rather than the realistic graphics. Because to me, the realistic graphics are horrid. I don't like them in any way, shape or form, and I'd much rather see a game with cel-shaded graphics sometime in the future.

T

Twilight One

Yes, but they could also make a Cel Shading game that's not too childish... (XIII is the only one that comes to mind right now) They can make a killer game in any graphics style they want. Cel Shading is good in essence. They just have to remember not to infantilize the franchise...

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Yes, but they could also make a Cel Shading game that's not too childish... (XIII is the only one that comes to mind right now) They can make a killer game in any graphics style they want. Cel Shading is good in essence. They just have to remember not to infantilize the franchise...

Bingo. The graphical style does not determine the tone of the game. The tone determines the tone. Make a game that is ethereal and moody, not goofy and unserious and it will be a great Zelda, even if it is a Celda.

Twili Kid

Many pointless questions
I think a good graphical style would be to look like a painting or drawing. Not anime style or cartoon drawings but that realistic look of a profesional painter or artist with 3d shading.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom