• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Graphics of Skyward Sword

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Having taken a look at the trailer and multiple screenshots...

The trees could stand to be refined, but overall, I really like the graphics.

I liked TP's realistic graphics a lot, but one problem that I had with them that I spoke about in a tread in this place's TP section once is that the "overly realistic" style of the human characters presented something off with them and constituted the Uncanny Valley for me. Doing things with the cell-shaded look should correct that problem - a combination of a certain seriousness (with an older Link), and just enough "cartoonishness" to put the game firmly in another world. When I play Zelda, I like the idea that I'm playing a storybook. An impressionistic style fits that feel perfectly.

I just think SS Link looks pretty. Even if he does wear Hammer-pants. *Laughs.*

Sort of like my own paiting style, actually - bright colors, semi-real/semi-impressionistic.

... Just realized something: I really do hope I get more financially lucky than I am now and get to play this game. I could so see myself excelling at fanart for it, because my natural art style would fit so well with this game's style.

To tell the truth, I actually like the graphics of this game better (for the type of game it is) than the graphics of Twilight Princess. It has beautiful cel-shading and is pleasing to the eye like Wind Waker and is highly detailed and maintains realism like Twilight Princess. I actually think Link's face looks more realistic than it does in Twilight Princess.

S

Seinfeld

I thought it looked pretty good, just needs some touching up.

Cel-shaded doesn't always have to look childish.

T

thedarkestlink

i do not mind the cel-shading or the graphics of the land, however i really wanted to see a more adult and warrior like link. I know zelda will always cater to all audiences, including children, but that does not mean link cant still look a little bit more the part of a warrior. Link is the hero, and pure at heart, however he is a warrior who KILLS monsters, and i think he should look more the part of a warrior. To be honest, he almost looks a bit feminine in the SS trailer. Hopefully the finished product will fix that.

Jupiter

Bringer of Jollity
Here is something pretty interesting from Eiji Aonuma:

"And another thing I just thought of is that for Twilight Princess we made a more realistic Link, but with the fantasy realm if the art style is too realistic it really narrows down what you can do and still feel like what you're doing still fits within that world. I want to make sure that some of the crazier elements still fit within the game world, and aren't breaking that world view -- so sometimes it's better not to be so realistic. Sometimes we need that exaggeration to implement the elements that are more outlandish and could only fit within the realm of fantasy. I think there are a lot of games out there that are super-realistic, and I've never felt that Zelda really fits into the same category as those games. "

I think that's exactly right. Even when Nintendo moves to a PS3 or better HD system, I still want it to be stylized art!

I always thought that Zelda never had an extremely realistic style. These graphics seem to tread the line between realistic and cartoon-style that Zelda used to have. These graphics are a step in the right direction. I can't wait to see what they do with them in the next year.

What I think about the Graphics

I think that the graphics should stay as it is the only thing bugs me is those ugly 'big' flowers.

This here is what makes the feeling of a Zelda Game

The graphics here makes it fantasy like witch really makes it Zelda-ish why do people hate toon style? Its great! Here is a tip for those haters: Why not you don't play it and miss out on all the fun? You can't judge a book by its cover!

PureLocke

A Hero of Time
Jupiter's last post: yes.
I didn't like TP as much as it deserved because it didn't have the magic (in several ways) of the older games this one has a realistic Link with the color and life that was missing from the dark dusty world of TP. Also new interesting gagets and uses of existing items will spice things up I think.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
*Rethread*

I dredged this up from the distant past (do you have any idea how long it takes to load through several hundred pages of World of Zelda?!) because it's just as relevant as it was then if not more so. This thread is from the day of E3, 2010, twelve years ago, when the world got their first real look at what promised to be a whole new breed if Zelda game. I always liked Skyward Sword and that hasn't changed for me but people's attitudes regarding the game have certainly changed.

I remember it like it was twelve years ago. The hype about the motion controls, the water color art style, fee fi fo fum, the orchestrated soundtrack, the limitless sky...it was a good time to be a Zelda fan. But what do we think now? Was the graphical choice a good call? Did they pull it off? If you think the graphical have aged poorly, was it still worth it in the original hardware?

Read the words of your forefathers and listen to their wisdom. Relive the glory, the hype, the victory, the tears, the anger, the beauty.

Uwu_Oocoo2

Joy is in video games and colored pencils
ZD Legend
Forum Volunteer
*Rethread*

I dredged this up from the distant past (do you have any idea how long it takes to load through several hundred pages of World of Zelda?!) because it's just as relevant as it was then if not more so. This thread is from the day of E3, 2010, twelve years ago, when the world got their first real look at what promised to be a whole new breed if Zelda game. I always liked Skyward Sword and that hasn't changed for me but people's attitudes regarding the game have certainly changed.

I remember it like it was twelve years ago. The hype about the motion controls, the water color art style, fee fi fo fum, the orchestrated soundtrack, the limitless sky...it was a good time to be a Zelda fan. But what do we think now? Was the graphical choice a good call? Did they pull it off? If you think the graphical have aged poorly, was it still worth it in the original hardware?

Read the words of your forefathers and listen to their wisdom. Relive the glory, the hype, the victory, the tears, the anger, the beauty.
Holy crud man, this is the biggest necro I have ever seen. You realize I was like 6 when this thread started?? Geez louise :sweat:

But to answer the question, I think that graphically it did age really well. Better than tp did, and ss only came out a few years afterwards. Cell shading was a really smart choice for the whimsical world they were trying to build, and would eventually prove a good design decision for botw as well. And aside from some touch up, the world of sshd doesn't really look that different than the original. It goes to show you just how far Ninty was able to go with they had at the time (waaaaay back when ha ha).

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
*Rethread*

I know this is a thing you've been doing recently, but when the threads are very old (this one being over a decade old), I think it'd be better to just make a completely new thread about the topic, and citing the old thread as inspiration.

Hyrulian Hero

Zelda Informer Codger
I know this is a thing you've been doing recently, but when the threads are very old (this one being over a decade old), I think it'd be better to just make a completely new thread about the topic, and citing the old thread as inspiration.

I thought about doing just that but even with a link, I figure very few people would actually read the old posts. I won't bring up any more posts this old but as long as you allow this one to remain, hopefully people will read through the thought of ZD members from a dozen years ago and feel some connection to them and their thoughts about Skyward Sword.

Sorry if activity on a post this old has caused problems.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
Like SMS already said it's better to make a new thread than to dig up a thread from almost 12 years ago with the latest reply being also around 12 years old. Plus we already have SSHD so this thread is everything but relevant. I close this thread but feel free to make a thread about the subject if you like ;)

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
I thought about doing just that but even with a link, I figure very few people would actually read the old posts. I won't bring up any more posts this old but as long as you allow this one to remain, hopefully people will read through the thought of ZD members from a dozen years ago and feel some connection to them and their thoughts about Skyward Sword.

Sorry if activity on a post this old has caused problems.
Vee closed the thread, and it will remain closed, but I want to at least reply to this. I think a link to an old thread in a new thread you make would suffice, if you encourage members to click the link in the body of the post, they'll likely click it. But if it really is crucial to the point of the post to get members to read the posts in the old thread, in addition to the link, you could always quote the posts in the old thread as well.

In general, I'd say reviving a thread that is only a year old can be perfectly ok. A 2 year old thread would probably be acceptable as well. I think a 3 year old thread and beyond would be pushing it, at that point making a new thread is likely the better option.

If you have any questions, or want to reply you can always DM me! I want to be clear though, I'm not shooting this idea down, I love seeing the activity and am all for it, but I think there is a better way we can revive old topics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom