• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Zelda Art Graphics Community Competition - Revival!

David

But you called me here...
Hey Guys!

I just wanted to get the Graphics Community Competition back up and running again, because its a great competition that can help us graphics artists really learn from one another, and test our abilities to make up an image on the spot.

Another reason why I wanted to start this back up was because I am sick and tired of not being able to how the Music Community Competition. I know that this one will get much more participation than that one did, so I think that we'll be able to get this one going.

So, to start, a few general rules. You can find those rules here at the Community Competitions Rules Thread. If you have any questions about these rules, feel free to post your questions here in this thread.

Now... for the theme and due date.

Skyward Sword Signature Tags
Due on Saturday, September 17, 2011

That's right, make a Skyward Sword tag in one week. For those of you that aren't sure what a "tag" is, its those things that most people here call "signatures." The real name for those images are tags.

They can vary in size, and can have multiple themes. Just get them done in one week, and send them to me in a PM. Upload to your own image hosting account, then send me the link. I will then make a new thread next Sunday with the entries and a voting poll.

And please, do not show anyone your images before you send them to me! I want all of them to be revealed at once, rather than randomly throughout the forum. When the competition is up, you may then use your image as you please.

Again, if you have any questions, please, feel free to ask me.

Thanks! I look forward to your submissions!

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
One question. If you work with photos already existing and edit them with, say picnik for example, would this count for the competition?
No, you need have something like GIMP, Photoshop,or paint.net, because on picnik you are just adding stuff to a existing picture or render

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
Meh, that means I won't get to compete, since I don't use GIMP and stuff like that. But at least I still get to vote, which is good. Isn't photoshop sort of the same thing as picnik though?
No, you are talking about Photobucket(I use that to upload signatures and stuff), PS is a powerful image editor(if you are willing to spend $200 or $150), Gimp is like the same but free.^^

Xinnamin

Mrs. Austin
No, you need have something like GIMP, Photoshop,or paint.net, because on picnik you are just adding stuff to a existing picture or render

You've got your information rather off there. Adding stuff to an existing picture or render is pretty much the definition of photomanipulation and graphical editing. Anything else would be the stuff I do, that is, drawing from scratch, which is NOT graphics.

Though you are right in that things like picnik are never used in competitions like this because those are such basic editing tools, ie changing around brightness or adding text or whatnot, that it's not considered art. Digital editing in the artistic sense involves more than just adding things to a render. It involves composition, color coordination, artistic use of textures and other elements, etc.

For the record, for people who are interested in joining the GGC with little background in graphics, GIMP is a free download and the Avatar and Signatures board had loads of tutorials.

~Mizuki~

ALWAYS LEAVE BOX 5 OPEN
You've got your information rather off there. Adding stuff to an existing picture or render is pretty much the definition of photomanipulation and graphical editing. Anything else would be the stuff I do, that is, drawing from scratch, which is NOT graphics.

Though you are right in that things like picnik are never used in competitions like this because those are such basic editing tools, ie changing around brightness or adding text or whatnot, that it's not considered art. Digital editing in the artistic sense involves more than just adding things to a render. It involves composition, color coordination, artistic use of textures and other elements, etc.

For the record, for people who are interested in joining the GGC with little background in graphics, GIMP is a free download and the Avatar and Signatures board had loads of tutorials.
Oh yeah I forgot about that.Other than GIMP or PS, you're not really putting effort in the graphics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom