• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Grand Theft Auto Series

00steven

Yeah, that's right!
What do you guys think about the series? I know it is a highly controversial series and most either love it or hate it, which end of the spectrum are you on?

I own GTA 3 and like it. Not as much as anything Nintendo has done but it is a fun game to play with a group of friends.

I quite like GTA. Not so much the PlayStation versions (the non-3D, top down games).

GTA4 is very good. And I'd say San Andreas is probably the better of them after that.

That said, this is definitely a game that makes me understand why games get an ESRB rating. I definitely wouldn't let my kids (if I had any) play GTA under the age of 17 or 18.

I love the GTA series. (not as much as LoZ series)

It's fun being able to hijack cars and shoot at police with out doing it in real life. :D

jugglaj91

I am me....
I enjoy them but not in large uses. I can pick it up and play for a bit but then it becomes repetitive. I need something new to do for a while.

I'd just like to add... I never understood the fascination with playing the game just to hijack cars and cause mayhem. I like doing the missions and following the story... because I'm boring haha

I haven't played GTA, but I did play Red Dead, and from what I heard they're pretty similar. And they're both made by Rockstar.

But yeah, I liked it

insanity76

I don't suffer from it ..
I've never really played any of the GTA's, but I do have the Godfather which has a pretty similar gameplay. It's a great game .. what i like a lot is that it puts your character in the setting of the movie and you take care of a lot of things that happen off screen.

Ninten*

BLOOOOOOOO
I love the GTA series..... not as much as Zelda, but I love the series. It's a lot of fun and you can't do the things in there for real life. Maybe like getting chased by police, SWAT, FBI, and the army. You can't do those missions in real life later. It's a lot of fun to be able to get the weapons and take cars anytime you want. I've only played GTA VIce City and that's a really good one. I've also played GTA 3, but I didn't do much in that.

Turo602

Vocare Ad Pugnam
I'm a big fan of the series and I own GTA Vice City, San Andreas, III, and IV. I like how part IV got a bit more serious and realistic and had a great story to follow. It was really a great move, just wish they hadn't removed some of San Andreas best features. They could of really tweaked it, but I guess it didn't fit the character and the mood they were going for. I really like Niko Bellic as a character, but I think I perfer Tommy instead, from Vice City. I just think it sucks that all the previous characters are supposed to be dead in IV. That really bugged me. Other then that, really great series, I can't wait to see what Rockstar has in store for us in the next installment. They did Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire is due to hit stores May 17, let's just see what they could cook up with the next GTA. Who knows when that'll come out? Surely some time after Max Payne 3 whenever that comes out. Just hope they don't ruin it. I just have a bad feeling since Remedy is done with it.

I haven't played GTA, but I did play Red Dead, and from what I heard they're pretty similar. And they're both made by Rockstar.

But yeah, I liked it

Red Dead Redemption is an incredible game. Genuinely one of best games I've played in a long time. And yeah. they are pretty similar in feel but they have completely different subject matter.

Moldorm

Is not Error
When the first GTA came out on PC, a friend of mine got it in a starter pack of games that came with a computer his family bought. Needless to say, I hadn't really seen many games like it before then. We spent a very long time playing the original, but didn't really jump to play the second one, which was pretty much the same thing. But when I saw III's release as a 3rd person shooter with a deeper storyline, I had to play it.

I really enjoy the series for what it has become, especially considering its humble roots as a simple top-down style play experience. Vice city is still my favorite to date, but IV was very impressive and is by far the highest quality to date imo. I was in a gaming hiatus when San Andreas was released, so I never played that one. However, I plan to backtrack and play it when I have the opportunity. Unfortunately, I doubt it will be anywhere near the experience of IV and will lack the nostalgic and unique setting of Vice City. In other words, it's not necessarily at the top of my To Game list, but if I stumble upon it for free or super cheap I wont pass it up.

Overall, I recommend the GTA series, but remind those who do indulge to at least take a look at where it came from if the opportunity arises. Oh, and don't play for a really long time and then get behind the wheel. You just might swerve at someone out of habit ;)

I love the GTA series, ever since GTA III. It really was revolutionary for it's time, and was one of the first open-world games. Vice City is probably my favorite of the series. I love the '80s feel of the game, along with the music, story, and all the '80s references, it was awesome. I recently played Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on the DS, and it's surprisingly as good as the console versions. A must-play for any fan of the GTA series.

If you like GTA I also recommend you play Mafia and Mafia II. They're more realistic versions of GTA games. Not as much to do in the world as the GTA games, but both games have some of the best stories I've ever played in videogames.

I'm a big fan of the series and I own GTA Vice City, San Andreas, III, and IV. I like how part IV got a bit more serious and realistic and had a great story to follow. It was really a great move, just wish they hadn't removed some of San Andreas best features. They could of really tweaked it, but I guess it didn't fit the character and the mood they were going for. I really like Niko Bellic as a character, but I think I perfer Tommy instead, from Vice City. I just think it sucks that all the previous characters are supposed to be dead in IV. That really bugged me. Other then that, really great series, I can't wait to see what Rockstar has in store for us in the next installment. They did Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire is due to hit stores May 17, let's just see what they could cook up with the next GTA. Who knows when that'll come out? Surely some time after Max Payne 3 whenever that comes out. Just hope they don't ruin it. I just have a bad feeling since Remedy is done with it.

I totally agree about GTA IV. I wasn't a fan of it at first because they took out the best parts of San Andreas. But looking back, I guess it makes sense given the more serious tone of GTA IV.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom