• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gossip Stones

Gossip Stones, we all know them right? But what the hell are they?

As the name implies, they gossip. They tell little tidbits of information here and there... and in Majora's Mask, they give hints on how to get the masks. They also give you the time.

The Mask of Truth, bearing the Gossip Stone's mark, allows Link to read minds. In particular, the minds of the Stones (this is how you get "gossip" and information from them other than the time.)

Also, in The Wind Waker, the King of Red Lions says that the Pirate's Charm, the stone that Tetra used to talk to Link and see him, is an enhanced version of the Gossip Stones.

Finally, and I'm not sure this has any significance (as it's probably just an easter egg,) the Gossip Stones do some weird stuff if you use your various weapons on them. In particular, bombs will make them flash, countdown, and launch into the sky (or if they hit a ceiling, they will explode.)

Thoughts?

ChargewithSword

Zelda Dungeon's Critic
The Gossip stones always stood out to me as puzzles, however the Sheikah symbol has me wondering. What if the Gossip Stones had been used as just that, they could have been used by the Sheikah in ancient times as ways of communicating and/or spying. They were said to be a ninja like race so spying can't be out of their leauge. THey used the Mask of Truth in order to actually hear the stones.

Z

Zero the Cursed

well if that's true, they would need a lot of masks.:)

If the Sheikah were the ones using the stones, then what's up with the term "gossip" and the fact that they seem to gossip to anyone, Sheikah or not?

Doesn't seem to add up. Maybe it's just me.

But I don't think the Gossip Stone/Mask of Truth mark and the Sheikah symbol are identical, although they are similar. I might be wrong, though. I'll look it up...

(EDIT)
Nevermind, it's pretty much the same symbol. There's some changes to the lower portion, but other than that it's the same.

Well, as proved in WW, they can work as primitive telephones. Perhaps the older Gossip Stones in OoT/MM could do that as well, if one knew how to use them? Or maybe that just has something to do with how the Pirate's Charm was "enhanced".

Other than that, I really don't know. As mentioned before, they could have been used for spying, as hidden recorder type things. No-one would think that a stone is listening to them, so they would work perfectly for that, although it's a bit unlikely. Maybe the Goddesses put them there for some reason? Perhaps they used them as a way to see what was going on down in Hyrule, and to keep track of what the different races were up to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom