• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Google Instant: Useful or Useless?

KrazyKyuubi

OH SNAPPLE
Narnia...And sometimes Pocket Asian's box
I've recently tried using Google since they put on Instant. To be honest, the first time I used it I didn't know it was there, so when I started typing my screen just kept changing and I was "Oh no I broke the computer again. Dad's gonna kill me..."

Then I discovered this was a new feature called Google Instant. I find it rather annoying, because all of the suggestions they roll down for me almost never match what I want to search for. Plus the list of websites keeps changing with every single letter you type in. It's just weird.

I personally think this 'Google Instant' is useless. I don't like it, and I'm happy they give you the option to turn it off.

What do you think about it?

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
Where can I turn it off? Its getting on my nerves. They are just trying to come up with something like Bing but Bing sucks so meh.

arkvoodle

Diabolical
I sort of dislike it, though I don't use google very often as I know the urls of most of the sites I visit.

The application of sorts was very weird at first, random sites showing up after every letter. I hope they implement a feature that turns it off, same as you said KK.

Though it is handy for some things, it can be annoying. I find that it lags too, but that's probably just me.

So as a straight up final answer, I dislike Google Instant.

Escohobita

King of Those Who Know
Google instant kinda sucks...I've used it and I found it rather annoying and unnecessary. Plus, what's with google hating on Opera? They gave no support to opera for google instant. That's dumb.

Valexi

Hylian Thief
I'm not in favor of the instant thing. Personally I find it very distracting and annoying. Usually I'll just type out what I'm searching for rather quickly, but when the instant thing is on I see all this useless stuff popping up and it distracts me and makes me slow down my typing for some reason.
Kinda counter-productive if you ask me.
I don't really see the point in it, since you never find what you're looking for until you type out the whole word. All it saves you from is pressing the enter button, which, oh God, is so far away from all the other keys on the keyboard.

TheGreen

is climbin' in yo windows
I don't really see the point in it, since you never find what you're looking for until you type out the whole word. All it saves you from is pressing the enter button, which, oh God, is so far away from all the other keys on the keyboard.
And I end up pressing the enter button anyway out of habit.

Where can I turn it off? Its getting on my nerves. They are just trying to come up with something like Bing but Bing sucks so meh.
Bite your tongue! Bing is way better than google and I'll tell you why.
1)Bing owned by Microsoft, is not trying to control the internets.
2)Google is setting themselves up to do just that. They're keeping copies of you e-mails, trying to corner the cellular phone market, recording what you search for and trying to get your medical records so they can advertise that stuff too!
3)If the above premises are true then:
----Bing is better than google.
----Google is evil.

EDIT:Google is climbin in yo' windows so hide ya kids, hide ya wives, hide ya husbands cause they rapin errbody out here.

Last edited:

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
It really hasn't affected my Google experience. Sometimes what I'm looking for comes up before I finish typing, and in that case I just go right to it. If not, I just finish it, and I get the same list of results I always would have.

Also, I usually search using the search bar in Firefox, rather than on Google's website.

One interesting note is that Google has also made their translations from one language to another instant, so you can see the meaning change dynamically as you add words. That feature is far more useful than instant search.

Besides, I've never found a search engine that gives you as many relevant results as Google does. Yahoo used to be up there, but not anymore. Bing... isn't even as good as Yahoo.

I judge search engines by their effectiveness, not by the intentions of the companies creating them.

Kybyrian

I view it as very useless because all that it is doing is eliminating the push of one button which a majority of people will press anyway. It could also be annoying for slower typists who don't want to see the result for every single letter that they type in. I feel that it's just adding a feature to be adding a feature. There really is no used to it. I find it annoying for it to search automatically.

On a more comic side-note, my brother was telling me about this Google Instant yesterday. He said that there were people at school typing some things into the Google search bar for fun as they always do. The school monitors all Google searches and it reports all inappropriate searches. Apparently a bunch of kids were typing in inappropriate phrases in the search bar and it was automatically searching them as they did not know it would do. Bunch of kids in trouble that day.

Kazumi

chagy
I heard of it yesterday, but I have yet to experience because they haven't implemented it into Google Canada yet. I suppose. It sounds really annoying however, and I hope there is some kind of option to turn it off.

You've got to love Google. Next feature I want to see is that Google knows what your going to search before you even type anything in.

J Oh

Hylian Alchemist
And I end up pressing the enter button anyway out of habit.

Bite your tongue! Bing is way better than google and I'll tell you why.
1)Bing owned by Microsoft, is not trying to control the internets.
2)Google is setting themselves up to do just that. They're keeping copies of you e-mails, trying to corner the cellular phone market, recording what you search for and trying to get your medical records so they can advertise that stuff too!
3)If the above premises are true then:
----Bing is better than google.
----Google is evil.

EDIT:Google is climbin in yo' windows so hide ya kids, hide ya wives, hide ya husbands cause they rapin errbody out here.

Lol I just don't like how Bing thinks it knows where I want to go :p

Google you don't have to come and confess, we gonna find you, we gonna find you, you are so dumb, you are really really dumb, forreal.

Y2K3

Lushier than Mercy!
I have never heard of this before, and by the sounds of things I'm kinda glad. I'd like to see it just to see it, but it does sound rather annoying. I pretty much never go on the Google website anymore though as I just type everything into the search bar. Does it happen with that as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom