• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Google Drive

David

But you called me here...
First of all, I'm glad we have a Technology forum now. I feel compelled to post now.

Anyway, have you guys heard about the alleged Google Drive that is supposed to come out at the beginning of April? I came across this article just yesterday and was absolutely intrigued as to the possibilites that Google could use this for.

Google Drive is a project that Google's been working on for a while to compete with Microsoft and Dropbox and is supposed to be well integrated with Google's services. It will have a native client for all operating systems and plenty of other awesome features.

The only downside that I currently see is the maximum amount of space that Google is going to let us have. The rumors say that we get 1 GB for free and that we have to pay for more space. That kind of annoys me, as Dropbox gives 2 GB for free. I'm hoping that this limit is either false, or only applies to large file sizes, like the restrictions that Google has put on Google+ images (as many images as you want, as long as they're under a certain file size).

What do you guys think about Google Drive? Interested?

Also, in the event that Google Drive is launched, this thread can also serve as a place to discuss the various features of the new service.

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
I imagine the service will be very well done, since it is coming from Google. I also would prefer to have more free space. I hope that the paid space is reasonable, as online backups are something I am interested in, but most services are so expensive and I am in the market for around a terabyte of space, not 1 or 2 gigs.

David

But you called me here...
I imagine the service will be very well done, since it is coming from Google. I also would prefer to have more free space. I hope that the paid space is reasonable, as online backups are something I am interested in, but most services are so expensive and I am in the market for around a terabyte of space, not 1 or 2 gigs.

From what I saw, extra space is a lot cheaper than what Dropbox was offering, but I'm not sure if it is just a rumor. Getting more space in Gmail is actually decently cheap, so I imagine that Google Drive will live to those standards as well.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
I've had issues with online data storage services. First, the "free" storage levels are insulting. A cheap flash drive gets you more space. And the costs for more space are even more insulting. Can't even imagine where they came up with the numbers. To get storage space to equal the average external hard drive, you have to pay more than you would for a new computer every year just for the space. Unless they can get the prices cheaper than a 3 TB external drive (which is pretty cheap by itself), I don't think I'd ever use such a service.

Another concern I have is privacy. Using such a service I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't just snoop at people's files. An external drive is completely private.

When I saw "Google Drive", I thought maybe they were integrating their Google Glasses technology to car windshields and that it'd be used for GPS. After seeing what it actually is, I'm a bit disappointed. Giant, windshield-sized GPS systems sounded cool :P

Dan

I've had issues with online data storage services. First, the "free" storage levels are insulting. A cheap flash drive gets you more space. And the costs for more space are even more insulting. Can't even imagine where they came up with the numbers. To get storage space to equal the average external hard drive, you have to pay more than you would for a new computer every year just for the space. Unless they can get the prices cheaper than a 3 TB external drive (which is pretty cheap by itself), I don't think I'd ever use such a service.

Another concern I have is privacy. Using such a service I can't think of any reason why they wouldn't just snoop at people's files. An external drive is completely private.

I agree with you there Google have snooped on us before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom