• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Goodbye Empty Bottle?

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
So Breath Of The Wild features an awesome new hunting/gathering and cooking mechanic that allows you to make your own food and potions. So this brings up something: Will BotW have empty bottles that Link can find and place things in? When you make a potion its' icon shows a bottle full of potion (a bottle that comes and goes with the potion).
So it seems like bottles will become completely obsolete, will you miss the bottles if they are not in this game? Is there any good reason to have classic bottles? There will be no reason to have them for potions but what about carrying Fairies? Will you miss or even notice the absence of bottles?

By the way to refresh you memory about the value of bottles, here is some food for thought from our favorite disappearing act: Axle The Beast.

Dan

Yeah I liked the bottle mechanic and I'll certainly miss it. It was a little annoying binding the action to the buttons but that's no fault on the bottle system itself. I'm glad botw is finally giving us a nice coat of paint, but I do hope we see plenty of the good old mechanics still about when necessary. Axle seemed off his head in that video, I wonder what substance was really in those bottles he had. Good job he didn't pick up his bong bottle.

But what will we stuff fairies into? :(

Nah, I'm cool with this. Previous games have experimented with getting rid of this mechanic, so it was only a matter of time.

So Breath Of The Wild features an awesome new hunting/gathering and cooking mechanic that allows you to make your own food and potions. So this brings up something: Will BotW have empty bottles that Link can find and place things in? When you make a potion its' icon shows a bottle full of potion (a bottle that comes and goes with the potion).
So it seems like bottles will become completely obsolete, will you miss the bottles if they are not in this game? Is there any good reason to have classic bottles? There will be no reason to have them for potions but what about carrying Fairies? Will you miss or even notice the absence of bottles?

By the way to refresh you memory about the value of bottles, here is some food for thought from our favorite disappearing act: Axle The Beast.

How the heck is this making them obsolete? If anything it would probably make them more necessary.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
How the heck is this making them obsolete? If anything it would probably make them more necessary.
When a potion is made it is shown in a bottle. Then Link drinks it and the bottle is gone with the potion. No empty bottle is left for the player. So having an extra empty bottle would not give Link the advantage of having more potion space, because the number of potions does not depend of how many bottles you have (link seems to start with no bottles at all). It simply depends on how much inventory space you have and if you have the materials to make potions. So this would seem to displace the use for collecting bottles.

I myself don't know if they actually will become obsolete I'm just looking at how potions work in BotW and seeing no obvious reason to have them in the game. They could still tie your potion capacity to finding bottles or use the bottles for other purposes that I'm not aware of. Holding special water maybe, or receiving potions exclusive to shops? I don't know, we will have to see.

And maybe I'm missing something. Tell my why exactly this system would make bottles more necessary?

When a potion is made it is shown in a bottle. Then Link drinks it and the bottle is gone with the potion. No empty bottle is left for the player. So having an extra empty bottle would not give Link the advantage of having more potion space, because the number of potions does not depend of how many bottles you have (link seems to start with no bottles at all). It simply depends on how much inventory space you have and if you have the materials to make potions. So this would seem to displace the use for collecting bottles.

I myself don't know if they actually will become obsolete I'm just looking at how potions work in BotW and seeing no obvious reason to have them in the game. They could still tie your potion capacity to finding bottles or use the bottles for other purposes that I'm not aware of. Holding special water maybe, or receiving potions exclusive to shops? I don't know, we will have to see.

And maybe I'm missing something. Tell my why exactly this system would make bottles more necessary?
Alright, I didn't know how bottles worked in this game. I just thought that with all the hunting and food making that you'd need more storage like that

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I imagine that we'll be able to make something with the same effects that a fairy would have... maybe. But in this case where you NEED to use items to restore your hearts, empty bottles would end up being much more restrictive if they were involved because then you'd only be able to carry as many potions or foods as you have bottles, which is usually around 4-5. In Breath of the Wild, bottles would just end up being a hindrance. Unless they're regulated strictly to carrying water or fairies and stuff, there's no reason to have them in this game.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Not a big fan of bottles. It was really annoying to hear a shopkeeper tell me I needed an empty bottle to put the potion in.

Getting rid of the bottles and hearts in this game is something I approve of.

I always liked the bottles, they felt like some of the most rewarding things to find because of the wide array of implications having one meant. Especially in harder games like Link to the Past. My favorite thing to put in a bottle? ATTACK BEE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom