• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Good or Evil?

Good or Evil?

• Good!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Evil!

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Depends on my mood

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BoxTar

i got bored and posted something
I have heard of a game called Infamous recently and thought the concept was pretty cool. You get to choose whether or not to be good or evil.

Now, I applied this to myself, and wondered to myself "if I got this game, would I be good or evil?" So, I thought about it, and eventually chose evil. There is less responsibility, more destruction, and a sense of villianry which temps me.

But that doesn't reflect me as a person. In real life, I choose to be good because of my conscience and my morals.

So, what i am getting at, would you be good in a game or evil in a game? This has no effectto your personal spectrum, just an interesting look at gaming preferences.

Note: If there is already a thread made of this, or if it should be moved, please let me know.

I always choose to be good in games for some reason. Most games if you are good or evil it changes the story line of the game. So I would be good, because it has better affects on you then being evil.

Zeruda

Mother Hyrule
I always choose good first. On my second playthrough, I choose evil. In most games, though, I choose the "good" characters. I don't know.. I just don't find evil very attractive or entertaining. I do want to play Infamous, but I haven't the funds. I guess I'll have to borrow it from work when I get the chance.

ShellShocker

adjective spaceman
Usually in game like that, like Zeruda, I'd choose good first. But in some games (AQWorlds for example), I chose evil. Evil is very fun. You don't need to save people, and you can go on a rampage if you like. But generally, choosing your alignment changes storylines in games.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
This is an interesting, and very psychological thing. There are many reasons why someone chooses the respective path of a game. The main reason is for gameplay purposes, obviously. Most people play both paths just for fun, but there are people who actually think really hard on what to do. Hopefully, most people who pick evil aren't evil in the real world.

I think good is the right path for a few reasons.

First of all, evil starts out with more power but the increase in power is slow and restricting. Usually in games that involve a choice of good and evil, good is EXTREMELY powerful in the longrun even though it starts out pretty weak.

Dark Princess

Weeaboo :D
Well, I usually pick good for the first time through the games. But I have to say that I like evil a lot. But I can't pick what's my favorite.

ケンジ

僕は準備完了しています!
Paranaque City, Metro Manila, Philippines
I choose evil. why?

You have freedom, you can do what you want and can do destruction.

in real life i'm good due to my morals, virtues and personality. The only chance i get to be evil is on a game. Which is also my reason for loving games. You make your own choices, and my choice now is to be evil, mwuahahaha!

TVTMaster

Guy What's Angry Now
I choose evil. why?

You have freedom, you can do what you want and can do destruction.

in real life i'm good due to my morals, virtues and personality. The only chance i get to be evil is on a game. Which is also my reason for loving games. You make your own choices, and my choice now is to be evil, mwuahahaha!

You know, when freed from all pretense, the human tendency toward outright evil really says something about human nature.

Anyway, in games I usually go the Good route first, and try evil pretty much to see what gameplay changes. In Infamous, Good players have more specific, targeted. potent abilities, but evil can do more against large groups of people (they don't care who gets caught in the crossfire). Bioshock is similar in that the Good route involves a more complex but ultimately more diverse and potent range of possibilities than evil, which gives you lots of Adam and power in exchange for freedom in customization.

Zemen

[Insert Funny Statement]
You know, when freed from all pretense, the human tendency toward outright evil really says something about human nature.

Anyway, in games I usually go the Good route first, and try evil pretty much to see what gameplay changes. In Infamous, Good players have more specific, targeted. potent abilities, but evil can do more against large groups of people (they don't care who gets caught in the crossfire). Bioshock is similar in that the Good route involves a more complex but ultimately more diverse and potent range of possibilities than evil, which gives you lots of Adam and power in exchange for freedom in customization.

This is kind of what I was saying.

Evil has a lot of power, this is true, but good is always more powerful in the end.

Take Fable, for instance. The evil powers are strong as balls and really cool but if you take the time to be good and level up the weak skills that go along with being good, they are way more powerful in the end.

Shnappy

derp
I would probably be evil, just because most games make you chose good. It would be nice to see the game from a different point of view. But when I play through evil, I would probably start a file where I am good. I might look into that game a little bit, it seems like it has good replay value :).

basement24

There's a Bazooka in TP!
I believe the only game I've played that had a large scale game-effecting good / evil choice was Knights of the Old Republic and it's (lesser) sequel. I choce to be good for the first playthrough, and I found it to be a very rewarding experience. It felt good to help people out, and to walk away from encounters with a feeling of "That went well" or to have people thanking you and such.

It also was more challenging. I can't recall the scene specifically because it was so many years ago, but there was a scene of two families that disapproved of a marriage between their kids. You end up in the middle of the conflict, and you have to calm the parties involved down, and convince them that everything will be all right. The negotiation took some time, but in the end, everythign was good.

In a later playthrough, I decided to choose evil. I got to this moment, and started convincing both sides that this was all wrong and that they should hate each other. Within a minute or so, a blaster was drawn and one person shot another. This happened again and again until both sides had people dead on them. I got Dark Side points for it, and it just felt... bad.

It wasn't the "cool!" evil factor of running around with a lightsaber and cutting down badguys. I just caused a family to collapse and come to a point of killing each other. I know it's a video game, and the characters didn't exist, but it was a bit sick I thought. Especially to be rewarded for this behaviour.

I didn't play the evil game path much after that. Conflicts were too often solved with a quick battle with a dead body at my feet rather than a longer, more thought out verbal approach.

I suppose it would change from game to game because some would be less verbal and more full of actions than words even in the positive sense, but this path on the KOTOR games made me want to play the good side first, and through to the end, and maybe try the evil side later.

I'm not denying the coolness of being evil in games, because it can be fun. One of my favourite games is Star Wars Bounty Hunter where you play through as Jango Fett. You take in bounties, killing them or bringing them in alive and you get a reward for them. I suppose in the end of that game though, you're still up against the Sith, and you're the lesser of two evils. You also really don't have much of a choice of committing good deeds. You can trap a bounty as opposed to killing them, but sometimes they were more money dead than alive. There wasn't much consequence, so it didn't feel bad to kill them to get more money. Their character still disappeared the same way, and you never heard of them again the same way.

I think it depends on the depth of gameplay then. But I would still choose to be good than evil as a first playthrough.

Vincent

Retired Super Mod and HK
In every game that I'm given the option, I always go the evil route. It's just more fun, and more of what I would actually do in that situation.

Cyrus Skyray

Gwladgarwr Tra Mad
For me it depends. If I play properly, I choose Good. If i'm board or am annoyed, I usually save the game then go on a killing spree (thence turning evil), like in fable 2 or fallout 3, where when you reach the endgame most "friendly" NPCs are far weaker than you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom