• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Good Gaming Laptop for Under 1000$

GanonSlayr

Vermin Supreme 2012!!!
Essentially, I'm currently looking at gaming laptops. I don't have nearly enough for one, even under 800, but I'm just interested. I'm currently looking at the Asus Republic of Gamers 15.6", but I'm also looking at the Alienware M11x. Something with enough power to run Skyrim on Medium settings.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
Hmmmm I can run Battlefield 3 on medium settings on my HP Pavilion dv6 and get a decent frame rate. I got it for $800 @ Best Buy. Now as for Skyrim, this HP could probably run it on medium. But don't expect it to be running above 40 fps due to the long distance rendering. I'll be uploading gameplay videos on my YouTube channel if you want to check out BF3. Just click here.

My PC Specs:

AMD A8-3510MX APU 1.80ghz Quad-core
AMD Radeon HD 6620g
8GB RAM

Austin

Austin
Because some people like mobility. Not everyone wants a desktop for gaming ya know.
It's kinda silly. You could get a much better desktop computer for the money you'd be spending on a "gaming" laptop. Anyway, how much do you guys plan to move around while playing anyway. Odds are you're going to want to use a mouse, which nearly always requires a desk. See where I'm going with this?

Austin

Austin
Not to mention you're also going to be stuck with a tiny screen and terrible keyboard. You also won't be able to upgrade it at all.

Laptops can also be prone to overheating, and that's a situation that can't really be fixed, unlike on a desktop where you could install various cooling systems.

Kid Buu

The Ultimate Majin
It's kinda silly. You could get a much better desktop computer for the money you'd be spending on a "gaming" laptop. Anyway, how much do you guys plan to move around while playing anyway. Odds are you're going to want to use a mouse, which nearly always requires a desk. See where I'm going with this?

I play games all the time with a mouse. I've never used a desk with my mouse. ^^

Not to mention you're also going to be stuck with a tiny screen and terrible keyboard. You also won't be able to upgrade it at all.

^ Yeah, a "gaming" laptop might require an (extra) external hard drive at some point, which would cost extra. A desktop PC for gaming is definitely the way to go, IMO.

Emma

The Cassandra
Site Staff
When it comes to PC gaming, the laptop pales in comparison to a desktop in every single way, I don't know why the mobility argument is even used as it doesn't make any sense.
So you're using the assumption that all gamers are sedentary and never leave the confines of their lair? Perhaps they want to bring their gaming laptop with them to a friend or family's house. Bringing a desktop for that reason will get you laughed at and is a bit of an ordeal to pack up, transport, and unpack. Why would you want mobility? For the exact same reasons people want laptops in the first place. They might not be in the same exact place all the time. Just because you need a powerhouse desktop and would only ever play it in your computer den, doesn't mean that's what everyone else wants. Maybe they simply do not have room for a desktop? There are laptop stands that can slide a good way under a chair our couch and take up little room. A lot less than a desktop desk. Not all laptop screens are tiny either. Mine's 17". Now that's not by any means huge, many desktops are larger, but it's not small either. Pretty big for a laptop.
I'd rather have a gaming desktop than a gaming laptop myself. But that doesn't mean that my preferences would be the same as everyone else's. I'm not going to tell them that mobility is a stupid reason, because it's not. I don't travel around that much so don't have need to have mobile PC gaming, but others certainly might have that requirement. Your needs are not everyone's needs. They don't all need an absolute beast of a PC to get the gaming they want.

PK Love Omega

PK Flash's Good Twin
You see family and friends for about 3 hours, why play video games ignoring them whilst you can actually be hanging out with them? Also, you'll need to buy a new one if you want to upgrade. Laptops overheat, as mentioned before, too. You'll need a USB mouse to play comfortably, and even then playing at a desk is yourbest choice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom