• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Gohma to Gohma?

Kyros 676

The Ultimate Hero
In Ocarina of Time, the first boss you face was a giant insect named Gohma. It was a simple boss that simply sent it's "children" after you.

In TWW, the first boss you face is... Gohma? A giant insect who lives in lava? There is something familiar about these two.... :S

I was wondering why the two bosses had the same name. Are they somehow connected? Maybe when Ganondorf was revived he decided to reuse one of the old creatures to cause trouble. Or maybe there is more two it.

What do you think?

HyruleLove

Twilight Princess
Dont forget Gohma in Twilight Princess!!

I don't think they're connected at all, imo. I just think Nintendo wanted the players to fight Gohma in different ways. If they are connected, I had no idea.

Don't discount Armogohma from the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess either. It's highly plausible that Gohmas are members of the same insect (arachnid?) race although Gohma changes its appearance from game to game from something resembling a spider or crab in OoT and TP to a scorpion like image in TWW. Gohma isn't the only example of a boss reappearing in various installments as (King) Dodongo is in a plethora of installments. The motion of Ganondorf reviving old creatures is entirely possible as well. He did so with Volvagia in Ocarina of Time and Stallord in Twilight Princess.

Kyros 676

The Ultimate Hero
Don't discount Armogohma from the Temple of Time in Twilight Princess either. It's highly plausible that Gohmas are members of the same insect (arachnid?) race although Gohma changes its appearance from game to game from something resembling a spider or crab in OoT and TP to a scorpion like image in TWW. Gohma isn't the only example of a boss reappearing in various installments as (King) Dodongo is in a plethora of installments. The motion of Ganondorf reviving old creatures is entirely possible as well. He did so with Volvagia in Ocarina of Time and Stallord in Twilight Princess.

Whoops forgot about ArmoGohma. I do think Ganondorf revived them like Volvagia and Stallord.

L

Link-kun

OoT Gohma must have evolved or something because I couldn't go from living in a gigantic tree to living in a huge lava filled mountain.

Djinn

and Tonic
I once had a theory that Gohma was not so much a name for a specific creature but a designation for any type of very large arthropod with a signature single eye. There are enough examples of various different creatures with the name gohma that have nothing else in common besides being a large insectiod type of animal with only one eye.

images
Gohma_(The_Legend_of_Zelda).png
iewmr.png
bv3ky.jpg

The creature goes from slight differences to totally different types of arthropods. Sometimes crab like, to centipede, to spider. This is not really a new event in Zelda as there are plenty of other things around Hyrule that have a very similar naming scheme, however usually it is a suffix. From Moblin, Bulblin, Bokoblin, and then Stalfos, Lizalfos, wolfos, then there are other in the Stal family like Stalchildren, Stalhound, Stallord.

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I think it's a combination of what Djinn said and the reason certain characters are seen in several disconnected games, such as Beedle. They're connected more as game elements than as certain types of creature within the diegesis. They're similar enough to fill the same role, but leave huge allowances for creativity.

Jirohnagi

Braava Braava
I like to think of it as a heirachy species Queen Armored and drone, the lava one is an adaptation of drone, in OOT Gohma was labelled as Queen Gohma in TP you had Armagohma and in TWW and LOZ you had Gohma's i think yes it's a heirachy species with different roles for the same creature so one is created in the species perfect for that task. Each Gohma has a specific task, The Queen variation is a curse type creature as stated by TGDT ( The Great Deku Tree) that he was cursed by ganondorf, The regular Gohma is a guardian probably a weaker one to Centipede variation, Armagohma i think is a guardian of the nest, (seeing as how you see all her spawn throughout the temple) and the Centipede variation is specifically adapted to attacking from the lava at prey near to it.

Sirmat

*Blank* fears me.
In all the games with Gohma, ganon/ganondorf is presant (in OoT Gohma was sent by ganondorf, so he just recreated Gohma in diferant forms in the other games)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom