• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Spoiler Goddess of the Sand: Who is She?

In Ocarina of Time, it is stated that the Gerudos primarily worship the Goddess of the Sands, who is depicted throughout the Spirit Temple in the form of statues and the like. She also makes an appearance in the Arbiter's Grounds in Twilight Princess. We can assume through sufficient evidence that the Spirit Temple and the Arbiter's Grounds are one and the same.
Given that "sand" is not a huge element in Zelda, I doubt that sand itself has its own patron goddess. I think it is likely, then, that the title of "Goddess of the Sand" is another title for one of the already existing goddesses.

Din's role in the creation of Hyrule, from Ocarina of Time:
"Din... with her strong flaming arms, she cultivated the land and created the red earth."

It is clear, then, that Din created the physical earth of Hyrule, with the other goddesses contributing in other ways. This would mean that she also created the desert, where there is sand and the Gerudo live. But I'll get to the Gerudo in a second.

Power is an important thing to the Gerudo. Ganondorf, the most notable of the Gerudo, often wields the Triforce of Power. In addition to this, the other goddesses' roles in the creation of Hyrule are not as important to the Gerudo; it is said that Nayru gave "the spirit of law" to the world, while Farore created "all life forms who would uphold the law". The Gerudo are lawless bandits who do not exactly appreciate the other life forms, shunning outsiders. So, then, the only Goddess that they would have anything to be thankful to would be Din, who created the sand they call home, and represents what they value most: Power.

Given all this, it's my opinion that the Goddess of the Sand, depicted as the Desert Colossus and the Spirit Temple/Arbiter's Grounds, is another title for Din.

I thinke the goddess of the sand is more a guardian deity like Jabu-Jabu or the great deku tree. I think she can't be Din because her Oracle is the Oracle of the seasons and a desert is the place where you don't even notice seasons exist. Din and Desert don't really match :lol:

By the way has someone noticed that the GotS is always presented with a snake, but there ae no snakes in OoT nor in TP. Just something funny I just noticed^^

Fig

The Altruist
Though most people would say Din is the Goddess of the Sands, I would have to agree with TheBlueReptile on this one. Because the Goddess of the Sands is usually associated with snakes, it doesn't make sense for the Gerudo to worship the 3 Goddesses, let alone a goddess that makes sense to be worshipped by the Gerudo.

felipe970421

Mardek Innanu El-Enkidu
I am divided between what theBlueReptile said (well said by the way) and Robert's theory from Allegories in architecture II, I think it was in part two, there he analyzes connections between the Gerudo and the Sheikah and says he believes the goddess of sand is actually Nayru, I am more inclined towards blue's theory though

Locke

Hegemon
Site Staff
I believe both the Goddess of Sand and the Goddess of Time are their own separate beings.
Occam's Razor: We should minimize the number of goddesses.
Anti-razor: Hylia.

Smoore

The Rational Theist
I'm kind of kidding about this, but maybe SS:Zelda/Hylia could be the Goddess of Sand? If Groose founded the Gerudo, as all appearances suggest, then perhaps he took his obsession of Zelda with him to the desert. Not to say that she actually is a sand god, but that he worshiped her, took her status as the awakened goddess Hylia, and adapted her to his own quirky religion. I know there is nothing in-game to support this; it's just a goofy theory. In any case, it could be true.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
I have never really given it much thought before, but what you have said makes sense and you are probably right.

Terminus

If I was a wizard this wouldn't be happening to me
I thinke the goddess of the sand is more a guardian deity like Jabu-Jabu or the great deku tree. I think she can't be Din because her Oracle is the Oracle of the seasons and a desert is the place where you don't even notice seasons exist. Din and Desert don't really match :lol:

Desert = Hot + Dry
Fire = Hot + Dry
Think about it...

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
Personally I'm inclined to think it's Nayru because Nayru's Love is given by the Great Fairy in the Desert Collosus.
Either that or the Gerudos worship different goddesses

Luke's Wife

peaked in 2015
Most people think that yeah, it's Din, but do remember, the huge desert in SS was called LaNAYRU desert, which might be hinting at something. Although the desert wasn't really a desert to begin with...
I think she's a seperate entity all together, like a minor goddess or a guardian. My little theory is that when the Lanayru Mine shut down (for reasons unknown), the Sand Goddess came and covered the land in sand, making it her territory (maybe she even destroyed the place herself, who knows?) Much, much, later, after all of the robot's building and equipment were completely gone, the Gerudos moved into that spot and it became Gerudo Desert.

D

Driorianos

I think that the area of the desert wasn't always desert. Beyond the whole Lanayru Province thing and the fact that the province used to be green and full of life, I actually think of how the desert spreads. I think of the Gerudo desert is kind of an 'encroaching sands' kind of thing - that the Three Goddesses created Hyrule, but that the desolate emptiness that used to be started closing in once there was a weakness - and that happened to be Lanayru province.

I think of Ganondorf of Wind Waker, who paints this image of the unforgivable desert, with it's harsh winds, while Hyrule, so close, is blessed. So, I think that they don't worship the Sand Goddess as welcoming an evil deity, but paying tithe to the Goddess with no other choice, hoping it will spare them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom