• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Breath of the Wild Giving Link More Mobility in This New Open World

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Mobility is such a miniscule addition that I doubt people really care if it's in or not, but the reason I'm bringing it up again is that I think it could really compliment this open world concept that Nintendo are shooting for.

Thinking about it, you want the world to be completely accessible, as Anouma referred to, small things that increase Link's efficency in mobility could really add to the idea of exploring a fully open world. In most games Link feels rather jagged, stuck in one range of motion so to say. You still have complete control of Link but he's very limited to how he can move and interact with the landscape. Skyward Sword was the game that really changed my view on how Link should move. He was able to sprint and free run at times - a small addition without that much emphasis of course, but it definitely gave Link more freedom to roam around the world.

So thoughts on this? Things like giving Link the ability to jump at will, climb, sprint, aspects of free running etc.

Mangachick14

Nerdy and Proud
Yes. Yes. YES.
I definitely think Link should be able to move as he had in SS, with the sprinting, hopping and climbing. To me, it made moving around a lot smoother and I'd be overjoyed to see it again.

Definitely.

Link's increased range of motion was one of the first things I noticed in SS, and, honestly, one of my favorite aspects of the game.
Nowadays, the refinement of mechanics can make or break a game, especially an action-adventure game, and Zelda's no exception.

Considering SS's mechanics have yet to be tested in an open world, I'd be excited to see exactly what Nintendo could do with them, and perhaps add to them. From where I see it, it'd be an utter waste not to include them.

Spiritual Mask Salesman

CHIMer Dragonborn
Staff member
Comm. Coordinator
Site Staff
Definatly, sprinting is a lot faster than how he moved in previous games so I hope that option doesn't go anywere. Being able to dash up walls and stuff I thought was cool, and I think maybe they can expand on it more in Zelda Wii U. I think it'd be really cool to have options to go mountain climbing, which would be the next step from just grabbing onto rock ledges.

So the little things can have big impacts towards making the game a lot more enjoyable.

Dio

~ It's me, Dio!~
Was going to make a thread about link and parkour, but this covers it. Yes link should be more athletic and acrobatic this time, i hope they ditch the stamina meter and just let link run and jump to his hearts content, he can pick up huge boulders in skyward sword and yet he can run for just a few seconds, not having the excuse of being too heavily muscled to do so, or the excuse that he is a lardarse.

i think Link should be able to do parkour Assassins creed style in Zelda U, it will make exploration even more fun, climbing trees, buildings and scaling dungeon walls.

Curmudgeon

default setting: sarcastic prick
Roc's Feather / Cape is one of my favorite items of all time. Yes. I want more tactical mobility. And right stick-controlled free view at all times.

Sheik

:the:
I'd be completely fine with just having Link's athletic capabilities carried over from Skyward Sword, but with that godawful Stamina Meter thrown away. It disrupted the flow of the game imo. Imagine you're running through the woods, the gentle breeze caressing your face, but in a mere ten seconds, you're doubled over in exhaustion. Man, that was cool... until it ended.

PalaeoJoe

The Diplomatic Dinosaur
I'd be completely fine with just having Link's athletic capabilities carried over from Skyward Sword, but with that godawful Stamina Meter thrown away. It disrupted the flow of the game imo. Imagine you're running through the woods, the gentle breeze caressing your face, but in a mere ten seconds, you're doubled over in exhaustion. Man, that was cool... until it ended.

Maybe the stamina meter needs/ should be improved but I do not think it should be gotten rid of.

Aero_Dynamic

エアロダイナミック

Y'know, I just can't help but think about Skyrim's stamina mechanic. In my personal opinion, running didn't seem to be so often as much as Skyward Sword. I enjoyed the running and acknowledged the limited speed which kind of accommodated the feel of SS, but for Skyrim I feel it's a different case. When you consider a vast sprawling world like Skyrim, I PERSONALY tend to like to not be constantly running amuck but instead always enjoying the scenery and appreciating the various little things and finding secret hidden stuff. Not only that, but I would sort of prepare myself of any imminent attacks that would appear around any corner by conserving my stamina rather than run and leave myself open. SS kind of had that too, where if you just try to run about, you'd eventually be open to attack. Just like Aonuma explained, there's lots of danger even in a bright world like Zelda. I kinda think he means the aspects that instead of sort of seeing all the enemies in plain sight, like in Skyrim, enemies can appear suddenly.
... Or you can just take out the stamina meter xD But I personally would enjoy it again, because I think it can be better utilized in an open world. Again, like Skyrim.

While I liked the ability to move more quickly granted to you in Skyward Sword, I've always hated the limiting nature of sprint meters. If you're traveling in the open, you should be able to just break into a faster jog. If you've played Hyrule Warriors or a demo of it, you'll notice that after a few seconds you break into a sprint and can just keep doing that until you stop or attack. I'd like something similar, except perhaps without the noticeable lurch forward. A real Zelda game requires more precise movements sometimes, and the last thing you'd want is to break into a sprint the moment before you planned on turning somewhere or picking something up or going into a door or some other form of interaction.

It might also be enjoyable to have a trainable sprint function, passingly similar to the Endurance meter found in Skyrim (as apparently people have already mentioned). Throughout the course of the game the player can feel mildly rewarded as they discover their ability to run long distances increase over time. Let's say that at the beginning of the game, a new player could run a distance equivalent to… oh let's say from the opening of OoT's Kokiri forest to somewhere just shy of Hyrule Castle gate, but an experienced player might be able to keep that same pace from Hyrule Castle gate almost to the entrance of Lake Hylia. Your endurance could possibly be tied to how many Heart Containers you possess? Just a thought.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I can't help but think of the athletics/parkour in Prince of Persia games. Link's mobility in Skyward Sword was awesome, and I'd definitely love to see some expansion on that in Zelda U. Being able to fully explore the world in more ways than just running around and examining things would be awesome. There could be a bunch of areas you can only get to with extra mobility like climbing and parkour and such. I think that would be really neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom