• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Ghirahim - Was It a Poor Decision?

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
Ghirahim being Ghirahim doesn't mean he doesn't suck. If his personality causes him to do stupid ****, then he's stupid.

"And, seriously, do you really think he felt he had a reason to go all-out on Link right from the get-go? He was just some random kid with a sword that happened to have some mystical power. Ghirahim even stated if it weren't for the sword, Link wouldn't have won. Pay attention to the plot before criticizing it."

That's all I have to say.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
Because he had pent up anger he wanted to unleash. Did you even read the dialogue?

And in the end he decided NOT to unleash it even though Link surely only increased his anger.

Also, what you said here,

Because he had pent up anger he wanted to unleash. Did you even read the dialogue?

contradicts what you said here.

And, seriously, do you really think he felt he had a reason to go all-out on Link right from the get-go? He was just some random kid with a sword that happened to have some mystical power. Ghirahim even stated if it weren't for the sword, Link wouldn't have won. Pay attention to the plot before criticizing it..

I loved Ghirahim. I'll go so far as to say he's one of my favorite villains in the series. I loved his flamboyant, seductive personality, the way he "flirted" around with Link....Zelda villains are typically dark, in-the-shadows types, or they're all macho like Ganondorf, so it was refreshing to see Zelda try something new.
I also thought that encountering him multiple times (in the beginning, middle, end) was a HUGE plus. It's so much more epic when you get to know your enemy personally...a huge no-no for me in TP was that Link met Ganondorf for the first time literally in the final battle. How emotional can a final showdown be when you're fighting a complete stranger?
As for the Ghirahim battles themselves... I hated the first one because I was having motion control problems >.> the one in Fire Sanctuary was decent and the final one was pretty epic.

Oh yeah, first post in....idk, 6 months or so?

Burning Beast

Go to Hell 4 Heavens Sake
Assuming this is supposed to be limited to Ghirahim vs Link first encounter, meh, I liked the move by Nintendo as it set up the course of which the events in the game would follow. It gave us an introduction to a character we would continually bump into again and again throughout the course of our adventure. I feel Ghirahim was made to be Links constant rival throughout the game. Our nemesis. The way the introduced him I feel was flawless.

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Because he has a sense of honor to him. Not because of morals, but because, as he said, he didn't feel it would be fair to "murder" -- right there acknowledging it would be murder, showing he's cold and heartless -- Link, but rather "beat [him] within an inch of [his] life". It wasn't laziness, it was just Ghirahim being Ghirahim.

And, seriously, do you really think he felt he had a reason to go all-out on Link right from the get-go? He was just some random kid with a sword that happened to have some mystical power. Ghirahim even stated if it weren't for the sword, Link wouldn't have won. Pay attention to the plot before criticizing it.
I beg to differ quite frankly.

Ghirahim actually states that he originally intended to harm/injure, maybe even kill Link, or he thought so, with the tornado he conjured up that is. So it wasn't as if Link was this unknown figure to Ghirahim, he recognised him beforehand.

When they met face-to-face for the first time, it was an odd encounter to say the least and I think Nintendo contradicted themselves in a sense. They set out to create the overly flamboyant character, but yet he was angry, based on his tone, body language and he even states it. However, we are supposed to think that he is just playing around? Seriously go one way or the other, is he actually angry or just messing around? This is where a problem arises in my opinion, more so to do with the battle and reasoning for it.

Ghirahim states that he is going to leave us within an inch of death, he states that, it's fact right? Ghirahim is an overly powerful demon, who is on a another level to Link, who is yet to wield any true power and he has the most weakened form of the Master Sword to be. Now the battle was quite casual, fitting in with his halfish, not-bothered persona, but yet this just makes him seem incredibly weak, so what if he's messing around? Fact is that that he came off as weak, there is no denying that -- an antagonist should never come off as "weak".

Also getting back onto Ghirahim's statement, did he beat us to a near inch of death? Well unless you really struggled with the battle itself, then no he did not. Like I said it was extremely casual, yet he was angry beforehand, contradictory again. Fact is that the battle was not that hard, the intensity was not enough and his persona just didn't make sense at that time, he made a bold statement -- beating someone to a near inch of death is a horrid action -- some may say worse that actually murdering someone, as he's literally going to let him suffer. Well Ghirahim failed, we beat him and he even lowered himself, somewhat, before us, we were victorious.

So Ghirahim, not only did he contradict himself, but he failed quite miserable in his actions and Link, at his most vulnerable and possibly his most weakest, defeated one of the biggest threats in the game, quite a bad move in my opinion.

Honestly I think he was a darker character then we've seen in a zelda game in terms of how he talked. The problem was he really didnt back it up at all. I think if that had Ganon or someone who could actually back up what he was saying like "I'll beat you to an inch of your life" or something like that you would have a much more menacing villain

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
I actually loved Ghirahim as a villain. He had that real psychopath vibe- not just oh he's pure evil blah blah blah like most Zelda games, he actually had a character and a personality. He comes across as insane rather than just cruel, which I found entertaining as well as adding something. The first battle with him was good because for once, the game gave you a real idea of what was to come, who you were facing. Sure, he's not hard to beat after that first battle because there isn't too much variation, but I think that's a stylistic decision by the designers. I mean, you get the impression he's just fighting you for the fun of it, playing with you, not taking it too seriously, yet he has that edge that he can cause real damage. He's a sadist, and I think that makes him an interesting enemy.

Yes, he states he is angry, but then at the end it makes sense because he is nothing more substantial than Fi.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
I feel the encounter would have been so much better if Link had stepped in front of the door to protect Zelda and maybe Ghirahim decided he'd toy with him, but would then hastily stop--not expecting Zelda to teleport out--and leave to find her again. Even after beating the whole game and seeing he's not as weak as he originally seemed, I still can't fathom why he'd waste time on Link when he could have just grabbed Zelda and got out of there.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I don't really think it was too early. It was to be expected because Zelda had disappeared and Impa saved her and Link was sent on a mission to find her. Logically you could expect him to meet a villain on his way. This villain turned out to be one of the main villains in the story. I think it was good to see it going a bit different this time. But this doesn't take away my deep seeded hate/dislike for Ghirahim

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom