• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Ghirahim - Was It a Poor Decision?

Justac00lguy

BooBoo
Ghirahim is an odd character/villain/boss that's for sure, and in a somewhat controversial game, I guess you could say he was one of the more controversial figures.

I'm split on Ghirahim and one of my negative points on him, would be his threat, or the lack of. He did enough by getting involved within the plot, but I want to focus on one scene in particular. This would be our first encounter with the flamboyant villain, of course I'm talking about the first boss battle. Something tells me this was just too early, I mean we are fighting a villain as the "first" boss. Some may say he stuck to his word but he didn't leave us to an inch of our death and by playing around or not, we still "technically "beat him. So before we have begun to grasp our goal, we have essentially just went one up on the, supposed, villain.

This is purely my view though, what do you think about this? Do you think battling Ghirahim early on was a good or poor choice on Nintendo's behalf? Would you make any changes to that boss battle or simply prevent it from happening in a purely hypothetical scenario?

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Are you talking only the first Ghirahim battle? Or Ghirahim as a whole? I've no qualms with the first battle. It's a decent challenge, and as a character it just shows there ARE more than bafoons on the Surface. It means you have to look out more - because there's a psychopath out there who WILL get you should you cross paths.

As a whole, he simply wasn't a threat.

Azure Sage

March onward forever...
Staff member
ZD Legend
Comm. Coordinator
I think it was a good choice. It served as a setup for the rest of the game's story, and it introduced the villain and let you get a first glimpse of him. I think it's good to have an idea of what you're up against early on. Ghirahim pulled that off well; we got to see who our enemy was at an early stage without learning too much about him. It leaves you wondering about him, wanting to know more about him. He becomes an enigma, and you slowly learn more about him as the game progresses and he appears to stand in your way. I don't think it was a poor decision on Nintendo's part at all.

DarkestLink

Darkest of all Dark Links
He was a good game boss, but a weak villain. Maybe if they downplayed his rank and had him gain power or something, I'd be more threatened.

jack546

The chosen one
He was a really disappointing villain. I felt he looked too similar to vaati without being as awesome.

I think Ghirahim was a terrible villain. His fights were pathetic once you knew how to do it, and he was always like "I'll get you next time blah blah blah." Why didn't he go into his form in the third fight and gotten Link over with, pretty much ensuring a victory for him. His lazyness caused him to lose.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Is an comment necessary for me?

I actually enjoyed Ghirahim as a boss. I actually found him somewhat challenging, and his continued presence gave him a sense of relevance.

I might be a little off-topic here. He is so winy, irratating, freakish, ugly, and dumb when compared to Demise that he dragged down the game for me. I've said it a hundred times, and I'll say it a hundred more. I hate Ghirahim.

Kirino

Tatakae
we still "technically "beat him. So before we have begun to grasp our goal, we have essentially just went one up on the, supposed, villain.

It wasn't a real victory; he was just playing around and wasn't really trying whatsoever. He was calm and relaxed throughout the entire battle, and showed no signs of struggle or effort, which, to me at least, made him seem pretty threatening and powerful (especially considering how difficult the boss battle was). I think introducing us to him early on was a good idea. It showed that you had a powerful enemy against you early on, and kind of personified the surface's evil. I also generally liked the way Ghirahim followed and stalked you throughout the entire game, since it slowly showed more of his personality, and the first encounter with him was a good start to that.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
On the midnight Spirit Train going anywhere
I think Ghirahim was a terrible villain. His fights were pathetic once you knew how to do it, and he was always like "I'll get you next time blah blah blah." Why didn't he go into his form in the third fight and gotten Link over with, pretty much ensuring a victory for him. His lazyness caused him to lose.

Because he has a sense of honor to him. Not because of morals, but because, as he said, he didn't feel it would be fair to "murder" -- right there acknowledging it would be murder, showing he's cold and heartless -- Link, but rather "beat [him] within an inch of [his] life". It wasn't laziness, it was just Ghirahim being Ghirahim.

And, seriously, do you really think he felt he had a reason to go all-out on Link right from the get-go? He was just some random kid with a sword that happened to have some mystical power. Ghirahim even stated if it weren't for the sword, Link wouldn't have won. Pay attention to the plot before criticizing it.

Also, pretty much every Zelda boss is easy once you know how to defeat them. You should know that by now.

DarkestLink

The thing that made it feel like a victory to me is that Ghirahim gave up. He said he had to vent some anger and you'd think getting hit so many times would make him more angry, but instead he just gives up instead of going harder.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
The thing that made it feel like a victory to me is that Ghirahim gave up. He said he had to vent some anger and you'd think getting hit so many times would make him more angry, but instead he just gives up instead of going harder.

Um... Yeah, no, he had better things to do. He said Zelda's presence had already faded. Why would he need to stay there and waste time with a kid? As I said to Maxxy, pay attention to the plot before criticizing it.

DarkestLink

Why did he waste time to begin with? I don't give a damn what the plot actually is, the execution made me feel like Ghirahim was a weakling making excuses for losing. Sorta like that kid who claims he's really good at a game or sport and then makes excuses for when you easily beat him.

What does Ghirahim do to random kids with swords? He attempts to toy with them and fails to both almost kill you AND accomplish kidnapping Zelda. What does Ganondorf do to kids with swords? he pimpslaps them out of his way. Ghirahim just isn't as awe-inspiring as the original G-Man.

He reminds me of Blue from Pokemon.

JuicieJ

SHOW ME YA MOVES!
Why did he waste time to begin with? I don't give a damn what the plot actually is, the execution made me feel like Ghirahim was a weakling making excuses for losing. Sorta like that kid who claims he's really good at a game or sport and then makes excuses for when you easily beat him.

Because he had pent up anger he wanted to unleash. Did you even read the dialogue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom