• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Getting Made Fun of for Zelda

Beauts

Rock and roll will never die
At school the other day I was talking to my friend about Zelda. Then this one guy came to crash our conversation by saying that Zelda is lame and stupid. "It's so easy!" he said. He said that call of duty could buy Zelda then sell it back for a billion bucks. This has been happening for a while now. People making fun of me because I like zelda. I had this one friend who had never played Zelda and just assumed that it was stupid. About a year later he came over to my house and I showed hi Oot. I made him a file and after that he had caved in. He loved Zelda. He's just recently beat Oot and he's gonna buy MM (wii shop). Tell me guys, do people make fun of you for playing Zelda? Have you Ever changed someones mind about the game. Please tell me!

I've had a few people scoff like oh of course you like Zelda, it's a girls game, it's easy blah blah. But you know what? **** those people. Kids like to make themselves feel better by making other people feel worse and one of the ways they do that is to put down things you like or care about. Next time you get some guy like that, hit them with the sarcasm stick and say something like "you're right, zelda is lame, i'd much rather be exactly the same as you!" I'm not really into games tbh, so I've never gotten anyone into Zelda (or anything really, people assume I'm boring so they assume they'll find anything I like boring) but it's cool that you got one of your friends to share something with you. But as I say, just ignore those other kids. One day, maybe not now but in a few years, they'll like something and some jackass teenager's gonna come up to them in a backwards cap and be like "ugh call of duty is so old, nobody plays that anymore, xyz game could buy it out and sell it back for a billion bucks!"

At school the other day I was talking to my friend about Zelda. Then this one guy came to crash our conversation by saying that Zelda is lame and stupid. "It's so easy!" he said. He said that call of duty could buy Zelda then sell it back for a billion bucks. This has been happening for a while now. People making fun of me because I like zelda. I had this one friend who had never played Zelda and just assumed that it was stupid. About a year later he came over to my house and I showed hi Oot. I made him a file and after that he had caved in. He loved Zelda. He's just recently beat Oot and he's gonna buy MM (wii shop). Tell me guys, do people make fun of you for playing Zelda? Have you Ever changed someones mind about the game. Please tell me!
V
Zelda is much harder than cod go tell that person to beat Zelda 2 let him see if it is harder than cod

This is basically how people react to the Harry Potter series until they read it. People are dumb and just make fun of things they don't understand all the time.

Djinn

and Tonic
Never encountered anyone who hated on Zelda, typically I see more random strangers who like that I have a Hylian crest shirt or hoodie. But not hating on seeing anything like that. The symbolism associated with the games have largely become a trend these days anyway.

NintendoCN

Team Captain
People who know me know that if they make fun of me about something I love, I usually just brush it off. It just doesn't seem like a big deal.

Are they making fun of Zelda as an excuse to make fun of you, or is their mock of Zelda actually directed at the series? Because if it's the former, then consider that they are simply looking to bully by means of anything about you they may deem worth picking on. You could have been talking about how much you like strawberries, and they might have butted in and done the same thing. Honestly, you don't want to be hanging around those types of people anyway. Though it may help to know that usually, any taunts directed at others from these types of people are in fact done as a means of hiding and directing attention away from their own abundance of insecurities.

I came on this thread to say something exactly like this, but Sarianae said it better than I could.

This isn't about Zelda, or even you. This about the state of that other person's heart. Trying to convince him to like Zelda is not the solution to that problem.

I'm a proudly nerdy teacher who has Zelda stuff all over the classroom. Some kids are super into it, others have stated that I might have a problem haha. For the most part though the people I hang out with dig most Zelda games so I'm usually pretty good.

A guy once trid to explain to me why Zelda is for three years olds...
I thought it would be funny to see any young kid try to get through the water temple. Ha!

Nicolai

The beast that dwells within the Shoutbox
I've... actually never had this problem. For any Nintendo game, really. Most people I meet or have met either also love Nintendo games, or just politely act disinterested. Then again, I was a shy kid (still am) and didn't usually bring up my love for video games with other people, so maybe I never gave them much of a chance.

I think this is an extension of "Nintendo is for Kids" which, to be perfectly honest, I think it's just a teenager/kid phase a lot of people go through, it's like hating cartoons because "you are growing up and it's for kids" then hitting your 20's and realising that cartoons are actually really nice, have a lot of art and a ton of inside adult jokes. Same goes for most Nintendo games, a lot of people start thinking at certain ages that "those games are for kids, real games have graphics, and blood and shooting" and then they grow up and start seeing how well designed, fun and full with love these games are. Just hang in there, the franchise isn't going away any time soon, and people who "hate" it or "think it's dumb" do so just because they haven't tried them out (usually because they don't own or have any reason to get the console in the first place, which I think is the real problem when people point Nintendo to have trouble with the competition, not the actual specs).

Also, if you want a snappy answer for the guy that crashed your conversation just tell him "actually, most people that love Dark Souls to death tend to be Zelda fans" (which is kind of true, to an extent, tbh).

Not Really... I didnt really have many friends to talk to, so no one really knew. Now only (literally) 3 people know I play Zelda, and they really don't care. I got teased for reading though.

Occasionally when I wear a Zelda t-shirt, I will get a few compliments from friends and strangers. Plus, I even remember seeing a girl play ALBW after competing in UIL. I personally don't know anybody who has been ridiculed for being a fan, but I can see it happening due to those who do not know any better. I actually feel kinda sorry for all those poor souls. They are truly missing out on a great experience.

Never had a problem with this as far as I can remember. Sure some people probably think I might have a crazy Zelda obsession (collecting things and whatnot) but they don't make fun of me for it. Have heard a few people try to disrespect Link because he's a pretty boy, but that's about it. Don't let them get to you.

Not exactly. Did pick on a friend of mine, for having fan fiction, and writing songs about it though. But it was all with love, of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom