• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Ocarina of Time Get'em While They're Young

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
I've just gotten my 8 year old niece hooked on OoT, shame she doesn't have a 3DS, Wii or N64 on her own, tho... Guess this will just be "our" thing for a while, meaning she plays the game with me sitting next to her, translating what people say (she's only just started to learn English) taking over whenever there's something she finds too difficult. It's fun to "see" the game through her eyes, tho :D

Conor

the over analysing guy
Totally get what you mean, watching younger kids play any game for that matter and making up their own things about the game, and the story, reminds me of myself as a kid and all the things I used to make up, might make a thread on that one day. Most of my experience was watching my late father play the game, so I saw snippets at a time for the most part.

Skullkid96

Aperture Test Subject #2
I have two sisters one 8 and the other 6 but my 8 year old is the only one who has a ds and i might get here the two games for the ds. and the 6 year old one has a gameboy color so the oracle games, and they watch me play ocarina of time the only one they like to watch!

Con-man

Master Swordsman
My 2 lil brothers (7 and 8 at the time) beat the rest of TP( starting from the 2nd temple) while I was away once, i had to replay the whole thing cuz i didn't get experience any of the story. We always play Zelda games together now, when I get tired, one of em takes over.

zeldahuman

Graphic Designer
My 5 year old nephew sits on my lap and plays Ocarina of Time 3D on my 3DS whenever he gets the chance to. All he really does is just run around, ride Epona, and literally SLAUGHTER enemies. I'm not kidding, for a 5 year old, he's violent! :lol: This same kid also plays Twilight Princess. He plays so often he has his own save! All he really does is swing the Wii-mote and run around, but it's fun to watch him make stuff up and do things that he sees fit. :yes:

Little kids pwn sometimes.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Having played the game since I was 3, I can confirm that letting little kids play any game will have them hooked if they are allowed to pay a little bit of attention. One of my little friends used to come over when I was 7, and he played all the games we had in the house, be they Mario Party or Zelda:OoT. Everytime I see him, he starts questioning me about the series! :)

I was very very little when OoT came out, but I have three older brothers, so I always watched them play it. It was so magical and scary to me at the time even though I wasn't even playing it. I was never any good at actually playing them so I waited years to play it. It really fascinated me when I actually played it, seeing parts of it I remembered my brothers play.

masterSword2

Smile!
funny cause this is actually how i found about zelda. i have a little sister and I've gotten her in to the games. its a really good way to spend time together and get others into the series

I was very very little when OoT came out, but I have three older brothers, so I always watched them play it. It was so magical and scary to me at the time even though I wasn't even playing it. I was never any good at actually playing them so I waited years to play it. It really fascinated me when I actually played it, seeing parts of it I remembered my brothers play.
My story's similar to yours. I remember watching my brother play through OoT when I was little - like, real little, maybe 6 at the most, and finding everything terrifying and really cool at the same time. I didn't start playing it until I was 15 and even though my brother had already left home and went to college, it was still kind of nostalgic playing through and seeing all the old enemies and remembering the two of us hanging out.

I guess I've got a bunch of good memories associated with this game :-)

misskitten

Hello Sweetie!
Update: now my 5 1/2 year old niece has also developed interest for OoT, she has a harder time playing the game, but she's just as eager. I am to bring the 3DS when I go visiting them tomorrow. I don't think my sister is very thrilled about me teaching her kids to sit still in front of a screen, but she does find their enthusiasm for the game sweet, lol

My two nephews are like gaming prodigies, so they never need my help with anything, but it's fun to watch them play, especially Zelda. When I was little, I had trouble with Mario games - yes, the ones that you only have to "jump" to get through each stage; aside from fighting games, I truly started gaming at 9 years old. My nephews are ages 4 and 6, and I'm amazed at how advanced they are.

Junehs

[the.Jumping.Bean] ~
When I was around 3, my brother showed me Ocarina of Time. I do remember paying attention and then getting stuck in the water temple. xD Today, 11 years later, my brother, my dad, and I are huge fans of Zelda. My dad tried to get my mom into it, but nope she won't get into it. So getting a kid into a game at a young age, will probably keep them hooked for years to come.

athenian200

Circumspect
a place of settlement, activity, or residence.
I also introduced Ocarina of Time to my two half-brothers while I was living at my father's house. I downloaded it on the Virtual Console for them, because they wanted me to play a game with them that I liked. They started off watching me play, but then eventually took the controller themselves at times. We often traded the controller around, each of us playing a little bit of the game. Eventually we beat it, but we eventually ended starting another file so that they could try and play again on their own.

I don't know if they've continued to play on it, or lost interest, but I'm sure they will remember the game. They found it fascinating, and just as enjoyable as many of their Wii games.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom