• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Get Together and Make an Original Fan Game, ZD?

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I think the free version of Gamemaker would be the best. As long as the program lets us (pretty much) do what we want, I'll go that direction.

We could even take iconic locations from different games and connect them to each other, like OOT Gerudo Valley being connected to TP Gerudo Desert.

The free gamemaker is very limited now. You can only have 20 "objects". We'll need a lot more than 20, monsters, Link, pots, rupees, NPCs...and you can only have 5 "rooms". We'll need a lot more than 5. Pretty sad what they've done to what was a great development tool. Game Editor, I already have it downloaded and it has no restrictions that I know of.

Love that idea, Gerudo Valley and Gerudo Desert would flow well together.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Hey, this is sort of my "application" if you need/want more help. :>

So what can I do?

Well I'm not a good programmer, I'm just getting into it (beginning of learning XP). Although surprisingly I'm a fast learner so probably by the end of the summer I'd be all set with what I need and from there I'm able to do it on my own.

I'm a good artist digitally and on paper (I've been told) so I'd enjoy doing some character/other art. :nod:

I've got a pretty wide imagination and I love making stories, so I could also help develop the plot.

--------

I don't know what else you need for this, but this is all I'm good for I guess. I think this is a fun and plausible idea so yeah, I'm in if you'll accept me. :>

Clank

Hmm
I am kind-of applying, whether or not I can help depends on some things though...

I can program in python decently well, and am planning on learning C++(haven't found a good book that I can afford) and I would rather not have to learn any other languages just for this project.
I can do some pixel graphics, but am not the best at them.
I use Linux, so whatever is used has to be Linux compatible.

So, yeah that's about it, provided those conditions are met I would love to help out with this project.

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
You can only have 20 "objects". We'll need a lot more than 20, monsters, Link, pots, rupees, NPCs...and you can only have 5 "rooms". We'll need a lot more than 5.

Umm.... Well that ruled out Gamemaker. I want to make sure everybody agrees on one engine before we start, though. Game Editor seems good, but I want to look into it a bit more. Is it Linux compatible?

Raindrop- Team, I think we have ourselves a concept artist. If you are as good as they say, that is. :)

Clank- We gratefully accept people who even know an inkling of programming. You can definitely help code some things. Also, you could be a sprite and tile painter.

Guys, I am starting some more forum threads related to this topic. Some will be polls and some will just be discussion threads. Don't forget to post a reply on one of 'em.

ANNOUNCEMENT: We are officially making a 2D game. That means NO 3D engine/modelling suggestions this point on. People, keep applying and email [email protected] if you have any questions you want to ask me personally. Make sure you create an account at dragoncat's trello at trello.com.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I wasn't impressed by game editor either, but I didn't explore it too deeply, the front end is pretty sloppy.

If this plan comes to fruition I will assist in any way I can, I have a good imagination and I am or was at least good at drawing it has been a while since I have drawn anything but I can do drawings and sketches with moderate and high level of detail my preferred medium is paper and pencil, but if you don't need me for concept art ideas I may be able to assist in story/plot ideas.

I don't know how useful I will be, but if you need/want my help let me know, I hope I didn't sound like I was bragging if so I apologize.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
If we did go 3d, do we have more then a single animator? After all, you'd be stuck pretty much crafting the entire map, and all objects on it/ all character models if we didn't, not that you couldn't do it, it just sounds like alot of work for a single person.

Also what software would you use?

Oops, sorry I'm so late! I use Autodesk 3ds Max mainly, but I've had experience with other Autodesk products.

3D probably isn't the best option for this as everyone seems to be set on 2D, and nobody really has experience with 3D as far as I can see. I'd still be happy to help, though!

Heroine of Time

Rest in peace, Paris Caper...
Oh, goodness, it's a shame I didn't notice this earlier. I would have loved to have been a part of the discussion.

If you need any assistance, I'd be glad to help in any way I can. I'm afraid I have very little experience in programming; most of my skills are common and people have already stepped up for their relevant jobs, so I'm just kind of here as backup. I have a passion for writing and would love to be a write or editor of sorts. (There are far, far too many fan games out there with dreadful grammar.... Of course, seeing experienced people like Shadsie volunteering as writer makes me think I really shouldn't be concerned. XD) I wish I could help out with the music, because I love that kind of thing, but I don't really have a proper method of recording and no actual music programs with which to make digital music.

I love the ideas discussed so far. I wasn't sure of Dragoncat's idea at first, but after reading through some of the comments and revisions others have discussed, I actually think it sounds really neat. I also liked ihateGhirahim's if there's some way to combine them.

Oh, however... I personally am not a huge fan of Fletcher being SS Link and Zelda's son. It's just kind of a thing with me that I don't like the idea of their children being characters in fanfics and stuff that I read. Just throwing it out there; if everyone else agrees to it, then who am I to tell you what to do? XD I'd be okay if they were ancestors or grandparents or something, but your idea takes place too soon after SS to do that. It just seems so... cliché. And what would have happened to SS Link and Zelda if they're no longer there? Or is Fletcher older? (...If this has already been discussed, I apologize, because I kind of skimmed some of the later posts.)

And yes, a female villain would be fabulous. Magic is a must, too. Is there going to be an instrument of some sort? I absolutely love musical instruments in Zelda games, so I'd love to see one, even if it's just a side thing, haha.

Either way, whether you need my help or not, good luck, everyone. ^^

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
ShadowBlade- Good. We like concept artists. Do you have any samples to show, like on deviantART?

Heroine of Time- I never thought of an editor before. This has given me new job ideas. You could definitely edit our story (once we all agree on one). Also, once we pump out the game you can be our alpha/beta tester. If you want to help with plot, post your ideas on this thread or on the Plot Ideas thread.

I'm researching good 2D game engines. If anyone has a suggestion besides the free version of Gamemaker, then post a reply here. We want this project to get off the ideas stage and on to the actual creation stage.

Raindrop14

Soldier for Christ!
Thank you for accepting me. ^^ I think this is going to be fun.

Do you like the dragon gimmick?
Looked it over and from what I've seen it turn into I like it :>

Do you like the idea of a female villan?
Yes, because now we're not doing the same ol' Gannondorf X3

How many overworld regions should we have?
I agree with DC

How many dungeons should we have?
Well I think there should be a beginner/tutorial 3 like in most (all?) Zelda games, but then the main ones should consist of probably 7, that sounds like a good number without over doing it.

Should we have magic?
Bring back the nostalgia man

How can we relate this to ZD?
ZD members being NPCs, although I think that was already established

Just my input. And I have a question since this is going to be 2D. I've seen different kinds of 2D (or they might not all be 2D, I've been wrong before) and I'm just wondering what kind of "art style" this would be. I think SSB is a 2D game except with a 3D illusion sort of thing, but then again that's a little different from ALttP in that they are at different gameplay angles. So I'm just clarifying here, please don't yell at me! :O

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Oh, however... I personally am not a huge fan of Fletcher being SS Link and Zelda's son. It's just kind of a thing with me that I don't like the idea of their children being characters in fanfics and stuff that I read. Just throwing it out there; if everyone else agrees to it, then who am I to tell you what to do? XD I'd be okay if they were ancestors or grandparents or something, but your idea takes place too soon after SS to do that. It just seems so... cliché. And what would have happened to SS Link and Zelda if they're no longer there? Or is Fletcher older? (...If this has already been discussed, I apologize, because I kind of skimmed some of the later posts.)
The SS duo are long gone, so is their son. This takes place like thousands of years after the end of SS. And you seem to support the Zelink in SS, so why do you not like that idea? That seems...odd.

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
Would we get the Nightly or the Release Build? Also, can you even develop a game on this? From what I can see, this looks like a cross-platform audio/graphics engine.

You would more about this than I do. If the other coders agree on this, we should download it. We want to get started as soon as possible to avoid people losing hope in the project. I do not mean to sound rushed, but if we do not get started soon we will never get started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom