• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Get Together and Make an Original Fan Game, ZD?

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
I think that a female villain would fill villain role well. She could be a long lost servant of Demise or some sort of evil sorceress. Anyway, it would work as well as any man. The story would also work well due to it using many pre-existing designs and concepts previous games. The story is also flexible and can receive minor tweaks as needed.

Salem

SICK
I don't have much to contribute but I have a suggestion on story.

Could the story be about Zelda dungeon in some way???

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
This is wonderful. So many people want to contribute to this.

Let's lay down the law. First off, TheBlueReptile, I totally agree with you. If we want to make a good quality fan game, we want to design the story around/after the design of the gameplay. How many dungeons we need, how many regions of the overworld there are, how many settlements there are, ect. Also, SroaLink, I would really like if the story incorporated Zelda Dungeon in some way (Maybe have Mases be the final boss?). I really like the idea of a female villan, though. She could be a spawn of Demise's curse, like Ganon.

I think someone said how they don't like completely alternative forms, but they like different dragon forms. I love that. We could have a Aquamentus-like form, a Gleeok-like form, a Volvagia-like form, a SS-dragon-like form, and a Onox-like form. The whole dragon thing could be our "gimmick".

Sine we STILL are not sure whether this is going to be 2D or 3D, we cannot pinpoint the dungeon or overworld region amount and size. Basically, if we created a 2D game, we could have a longer and bigger game. The downside to that is that it would be very simple and not very impressive. URA Zelda and Hyrule Total War are way more well known than Return of the Hylian and Time's Menagerie. A 3D game would be shorter and smaller, but it gives the player a lot more freedom and looks much better. Like somebody said, the number of fan made 3D Zelda's could be counted on one hand. I like the 3D route, but I will not object if we have to do a 2D game.

ihateghirahm and dragoncat- I think I can combine your stories. Maybe have the female villan force the three dragons to fight each other on the grounds of Hyrule, turning the newly settled kingdom of Hyrule into a bloody waste. Before I get to exited, though, I must remind everyone that gameplay comes first.

Shadsie- I'm sorry if I offended you when I asked for a plot outline "tomorrow". I wasn't expecting anything final, I just wanted to see what kind of story ideas you had.

Now that that's out of the way, let's set up a suggestion thing. Quote these questions in your reply to this thread and give your answers.

Do you like the dragon gimmick?

Do you like the idea of a female villan?

2D or 3D?

What engine do you suggest?

How many overworld regions should we have?

How many dungeons should we have?

Should we have magic?

How can we relate this to ZD?

If you are interested at all in this project, post a reply to this forum and email me at [email protected].

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
Well, if you use my story for inspiration, that's fine by me. I'm not too good technically, but by all means use my story and brainstorming for inspiration.

Just credit me as "Creative Consulting".

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
We need something more organized for brainstorming...I found this site for online project organizing. Everybody, sign up for it and I'll invite you to the thing. Tell me when you do so, and if you use something different than your ZD name, tell me that too. Preferably via PM or VM here...

https://trello.com

As for the questions:

Yes I came up with it.

Same as first question.

2D or 3D?
2D

I've worked with Gamemaker before. Now I suggest Game editor, it looks very similar to what I remember Gamemaker being back in the day. http://game-editor.com/Main_Page

3. One for each dragon(Lanayru, Eldin, Faron). But they will be fairly large, kinda like in TP. And they each include multiple enviroment types. Faron can have Hyrule Castle Town, a forest, and a swamp. Eldin can have mountains, volcanoes, and an alpine tundra. Lanayru can have a desert, canyons, and Lake Hylia. And we'll have Hyrule Field between them all.

6 or 7 at the least, 10 or 11 at the most.

Should we have magic?
Absolutely!

ZD members can be NPCs, the mods/admins of the site will be a resistance group like in TP.

Last edited:

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I don't have much to contribute but I have a suggestion on story.

Could the story be about Zelda dungeon in some way???
I'm thinking we need a tribute game more then a fanfic.

Such as we could pay homage to every generation of Zelda games, thru mix art styles. Or as perhaps the cancelled 3rd Oracle game.

But like Super Mario X did for Mario games, that went thru all ages of Mario games art and music, and even other influences, would be a perfect ZD tribute. (look it up if you havne't played it btw any one reading this)

This is wonderful. So many people want to contribute to this.

Let's lay down the law. First off, TheBlueReptile, I totally agree with you. If we want to make a good quality fan game, we want to design the story around/after the design of the gameplay. How many dungeons we need, how many regions of the overworld there are, how many settlements there are, ect. Also, SroaLink, I would really like if the story incorporated Zelda Dungeon in some way (Maybe have Mases be the final boss?). I really like the idea of a female villan, though. She could be a spawn of Demise's curse, like Ganon.

I think someone said how they don't like completely alternative forms, but they like different dragon forms. I love that. We could have a Aquamentus-like form, a Gleeok-like form, a Volvagia-like form, a SS-dragon-like form, and a Onox-like form. The whole dragon thing could be our "gimmick".

Sine we STILL are not sure whether this is going to be 2D or 3D, we cannot pinpoint the dungeon or overworld region amount and size. Basically, if we created a 2D game, we could have a longer and bigger game. The downside to that is that it would be very simple and not very impressive. URA Zelda and Hyrule Total War are way more well known than Return of the Hylian and Time's Menagerie. A 3D game would be shorter and smaller, but it gives the player a lot more freedom and looks much better. Like somebody said, the number of fan made 3D Zelda's could be counted on one hand. I like the 3D route, but I will not object if we have to do a 2D game.

ihateghirahm and dragoncat- I think I can combine your stories. Maybe have the female villan force the three dragons to fight each other on the grounds of Hyrule, turning the newly settled kingdom of Hyrule into a bloody waste. Before I get to exited, though, I must remind everyone that gameplay comes first.

Shadsie- I'm sorry if I offended you when I asked for a plot outline "tomorrow". I wasn't expecting anything final, I just wanted to see what kind of story ideas you had.

Now that that's out of the way, let's set up a suggestion thing. Quote these questions in your reply to this thread and give your answers.

2D or 3D?

Should we have magic?

If you are interested at all in this project, post a reply to this forum and email me at [email protected].

We can't even agree to any kind of transformation gimmick, untill we decide what we we're going to make the game in. And if its even possible with out extreme efforts.

And some of these other aspects we can't really decide until we know and understand our workspace.

Last edited:

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
I saw the 2D or 3D poll a while ago and it seems like we are heading down the 2D road. Not exactly what I was hoping for, but I guess it is easier for all of us. That means we are going to be making a slightly longer game.

we can't really decide until we know and understand our workspace.

Our workspace should be on either Gamemaker or Gameeditor, like dragoncat suggested. We all need to alert each other when/if we download it. I'm assuming we'll be using the free version, but if we want things like particle effects or sound editing we would need the paid version (40 US Dollars). I would rather use 40 dollars on food and clothes, but if we absolutely need the paid version I'll try to get it.

I'm thinking we need a tribute game more then a fanfic.

Such as we could pay homage to every generation of Zelda games, thru mix art styles. Or as perhaps the cancelled 3rd Oracle game.

But like Super Mario X did for Mario games, that went thru all ages of Mario games art and music, and even other influences, would be a perfect ZD tribute. (look it up if you havne't played it btw any one reading this)

You have a point. However, we don't want this game to be a "boring run-through Zelda tribute". This game should have originality and a strong story. You are right about the fanfic-ness of it all, though.

Last edited:

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
The story must be focused, original, and clearly inspired by the rest of the franchise. We shouldn't add in bad fanfiction or any forced ZeldaDungeon information. The only way this game will have dignity is if it has the clear tropes of a Zelda game and the fun and challenge they provide. The story should be strong, but not overbearing, and the gameplay must dominate the experience as a whole.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
The story must be focused, original, and clearly inspired by the rest of the franchise. We shouldn't add in bad fanfiction or any forced ZeldaDungeon information. The only way this game will have dignity is if it has the clear tropes of a Zelda game and the fun and challenge they provide. The story should be strong, but not overbearing, and the gameplay must dominate the experience as a whole.

Fan games never have dignity. Rearding story, anything is better than what Zelda provides, and since this is fangame, we have even greater control over the story. Plot holes need to be put to a minimum (or none even better) but even radical happenings are welcome.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
I'm exploring thru UDK right now, and its not so bad looking.
An alternate suggestion for a 2d game we could easily work on, would be using Super Mario Bros x, if we wanted to make a AoL style game but with 32 bit graphics and more freedom.

Game Maker looks alright.
Downloaded citrus but haven't gotten a chance to really once over it.

Zelda Classic is still an option and will cut out over half the work for us but limited in our freedom to design, such as no way to transform.

We could even go as far to use something like game maker, an creat .avi files for cut scenes in 3d for our 2d game. Wait, does it let us do that?

We could still just start in good ol fashioned visual basic, but I'm going to assume most people here don't have access to that, mines still the 2006 or 2007 version. Or Python/ C++ easily enough. If we decide we have the skill/ feel like taking the effort for it, but for a community project I think sticking with a pre made editor would be alot easier.

edit: citrus is just a collection of resources for flash, which would require a good flash editor in addition to citrus.

Last edited:

izi

Not A Wizard
I don't know if I'm posting in the middle of a conversation (and I apologize if I am), but I'd have to say I would much rather help and see the ZD community come together and make an original title, even if it has heavy Zelda influence.

That is all.

But, I'm an artist and I know how to work my way around C++.

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
I think the free version of Gamemaker would be the best. As long as the program lets us (pretty much) do what we want, I'll go that direction. Is everybody who wants to help on the trello dragoncat set up? If not, PM her about it and sign up.

I don't know if I'm posting in the middle of a conversation (and I apologize if I am), but I'd have to say I would much rather help and see the ZD community come together and make an original title, even if it has heavy Zelda influence.

Is this... izi? Like, izi the STAFF MEMBER?!?!? Anyways, I do not completely understand your question. By original title, do you mean a Zelda clone, like Ys or Neutopia? Or, do you mean a Zelda game with an original story?

3. One for each dragon(Lanayru, Eldin, Faron). But they will be fairly large, kinda like in TP. And they each include multiple enviroment types. Faron can have Hyrule Castle Town, a forest, and a swamp. Eldin can have mountains, volcanoes, and an alpine tundra. Lanayru can have a desert, canyons, and Lake Hylia. And we'll have Hyrule Field between them all.
I love this idea. If we want to make this a testament to Zelda Dungeon, the least we can do is unify a large overworld. Forests, Swamps, Mountains, Volcanoes, Alpine Tundras, Deserts, Canyons, and Lakes! This could have it all. We could even take iconic locations from different games and connect them to each other, like OOT Gerudo Valley being connected to TP Gerudo Desert.

For those who still would want a 3D game, we are looking into UDK. The graphics that UDK offer would be VERY impressive and leave a lasting impression on the average forum-goer. If we change our minds and decide to make a 3D game, UDK is probably the answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom