• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

General Zelda Get Together and Make an Original Fan Game, ZD?

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
Hey.

I saw a comment a while back about someone suggesting to have the "citizens" of ZD (staff and random commenters) make a fan game. I thought it was a great idea. To make a fan game, we need programmers, gameplay designers, story designers, and concept artists. The commenter who gave me this idea.(I can't remember his name) said he could program. I would be a good gameplay designer. We would probably use Java. If you have any interest whatsoever in this project, please feel free to reply and ask for a role and/or give suggestions.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
Well it depends how you want the game deployed.

There used to be Zelda Classic several years back, which came with a Zelda 1 clone, but a pretty solid custom map/ quest creator.

There might be newer ones, alot like it, don't know though haven't looked.

ZC would be easy because only really requires, some art creation, story, and map design. Little to no scripting required.

If you wanted to do it on a game engine, it would have to be created, or some one to find a free to use engine that'll work for a Zelda style game with out heavy modification.

I'd be interested in a helping a project, from a more creative side of things.

But we would need people who actually have the time/ dedication to sit down and work on it, as well as decide on a direction to go with.

ihateghirahim

The Fierce Deity
We should make a solid adventure with a great and interesting story. It should be something original, but tied in to the timeline in some way, shape, or form.

We'd need only a basic engine, but I'm not too technical.

What we should do is make somehow a tribute to this site. I mean its amazing what we do here and how civilized we all act.

The Jade Fist

Kung Fu Master
So, I've got suggestions to use Gamemaker
GameMaker for Windows | YoYo Games
and also ZeldaClassic.com - The Official Home of Zelda Classic

The Zelda Classic is kinda perfectly tailored to this task, but the Game Maker would allow a bit more freedom in the project, but would require alot more work, to achieve what we want.

So for simplicity sake I assume we're talking a 2d game here correct?

=============================================

So I'll take the lead here, and start by asking seriously, who here would be interested in working together to create this project.

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
I would only be able to help if it was 3D project as I'm a computer animator. I guess you could say that I cheat because I don't need to draw :P

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
I've tried Gamemaker before. Can't use it anymore because my new computer doesnt support it, quite a shame because I had a good project going...it was an original platformer, any attempts to make fangames failed. For me at least. I would suggest Zelda Classic since it's already tailored for Zelda, less work even though we could probably find an engine to use for Gamemaker if we looked.

I think this is an awesome idea and I'm all for it. I already have a concept that involves Link getting a dragon form, but before I start elaborating, I have to ask if everyone is okay with it first. It has a basic plot and some character design, but very little gameplay design, so there's still a lot of work for everyone else.

As far as skills go, I can do sprites/artwork to a certain extent. And I can brainstorm for dungeons/quests/bosses/characters, but anyone can do that. I know Darknut Hunter can do music, I certainly can't. I could probably figure out programming if I tried, but I'd prefer to leave that to someone else.

One idea to start us off: The mods/admins here can have NPCs named after them, and those NPCs can be in a resistance group like what TP has. The people who work on the game can be NPCs too if they want.

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
Wow! Didn't expect this.

OK guys, I will start to respond and establish things here.

About the engine: I have looked into ZC and even downloaded it to my laptop. However, it was very glitchy and never saved. We could do a full-blown project on ZC, but it would leave us with little freedom. Also, somebody suggested we use a 3D engine, which would be a lot more impressive and free (as in freedom of gameplay). This would be much harder, however. I think we should use Gamemaker, but I have not purchased it. We would need somebody who owns the program and has it still up and running.

With that out of the way, let's assign temporary roles here.

Me(balloonofwar4): I'll appoint myself Head of Design for now. I will help design story and gameplay elements, as well as oversee other designers. I will also be the (temporary) head of this project.

Jade Fist: You talk a lot about possible engines, so I'll assume you are some kind of programmer. If you are, you are a coder. You will code and script the game as the designers tell it. If you do not know about programming, then I'll have you be a designer. You can help me come up with the lore of the game as well as possible gameplay mechanics/elements.

ihateghirahim: You should definitely be a level/overworld designer. You can help with plot points and gameplay ideas, too.

Dragoncat: You would make a good concept artist/sprite maker. I think your dragon transformation idea is very good. It could be implemented into the game very well. If no one else rejects it, I'm all for it. EDIT: About your last sentence, YES! That is a perfect idea!

Now comes the asking for help part. We NEED programmers/coders. We can sit here and say how we are going to make this great game and not get anything done because we have no one to actually make it real. PLEASE, if you have any knowledge at all in programming/coding and if you are somewhat interested in this project, make a post here and email me at [email protected]. Also, we need more of everything. I was serious when i said that I wanted to make a ZD fan game. So if you are interested, feel free to suggest things on this thread. Also, ZD staff, where are you? You are just as welcome (if not more) to post suggestions. We could really use your storytelling prowess, GaroXicon. Axle, you have great gameplay ideas and story suggestions. With all of your help, we can make a great Zelda fan game for the greatest Zelda fan site, ZD.

Last edited:

Dragoncat

Twilit wildcat: Aerofelis
Well if we're using gamemaker, I can research to see if it would work on what I have. It will still work without paying. But if you don't pay, there's its logo when you start up the game, and there are some features you can't use. We're not making an online multiplayer game so that restriction wont be a problem, but we probably dont want the watermark. I had a paid version ages ago...lost the registration key. If it's possible we should all have the program installed so we can send the file back and forth and work on it together.

Okay, you're good with Dragon Link? Activate copy and paste from concept on deviantart:

Plot: Long ago, three dragon spirits aided the hero of legend as he battled the forces of evil. When their mission was complete, the dragons retreated to the heavens and left behind a treasure known as the stone of scales. As long as the stone of scales was held by the people, the dragons would be able to watch over and protect the kingdom of Hyrule.
One day, the stone of scales is shattered by a follower of the dark god Demise, leaving Hyrule powerless against the demon onslaught. The time has come for a new hero to rise.

Companion Character: In case you haven't already gathered this, SoS takes place between SS and MC on the timeline, but far enough from SS that all the characters and their children are in their afterlives. The son of SS Link and Zelda, Fletcher, takes the form of a phoenix to help SoS Link at his parents' request. He offers monster analysis like Navi and Fi, but he has Midna's trait of only telling you what to do next once unless you call him again. He also offers a way to get a better view of your surroundings: he can fly around and you can look through his eyes whenever you want.

Transformation: As you can tell, Link gets a dragon form. Dragon Link works similar to Wolf Link. In certain parts, Link will enter the sacred realm in search of clues to where the pieces of the stone of scales are. He takes dragon form in the sacred realm, and human form outside of it. Once he has all three stone of scales pieces, he can switch forms at will.
Dragon Link is unable to use items, and Human Link can't use magic. Other than the magic spells, Dragon Link's abilities are fighting with claws and fangs and gliding. Not flying. Think Spyro for Playstation 1, and you'll know what I mean.
The three magic spells:
Din's Fire - The dragon's fire breath. It does more damage than the dragon's normal attack, and can be used to light torches, etc.
Nayru's Love - Same as it was in OoT. Defensive magic.
Farore's Wind - Allows you to fly instead of just glide. It uses a big chunk of magic power though, so it can't be used for long.

Since this is going to be 2d, scrap the part about Fletcher flying around to get a better view...that would only work in 3d and it's not something we absolutely need. Oh, and the title is Stone of Scales.

We should probably scrap the flying too, and change Farore's Wind to be a warp spell...again, won't work well in 2d.

Last edited:

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
Dragoncat-

Your story sounds good, but it needs some tweaking. Understand that I am not putting you down, just observing your writing with a critical eye.

At first glance this sounds way too much like the Golden Goddesses legend. You should change it so it is more original.
It seems hard to believe that Demise has already been resurrected already. Let's have a new villan.
I know this is Zelda, but how in the name of bejeezus did Fletcher (a Hylian boy I assume) turn into a phoenix? If you want a bird-like companion, let's at least have a old wise Loftwing.
And lastly, the name Scale of Stones just sounds.... too dragon-y and less Zelda-y.

I hope that didn't hurt your feelings. I just want this game to have a strong story.

Now for gameplay. You seem to have started out thinking in 3D terms, but fell back into 2D terms. Since we will probably do this in 2D, lets see what we can do about your gameplay suggestions.

The entire dragon transformation thing seems way too tied to the plot. Let's have the dragon be one of many (say four) alternate forms.
I like claws and fangs, but why not tails?
Gliding could be like jumping with the Roc's Cape, except you slowly float back down to the ground.
The three spells could be three upgrade-able attributes. Fire upgrades fire power and effect, Love upgrades armor and what it protects from, and Wind upgrades glide time.

These are just my suggestions. Anyone interested in this project please post a reply on this thread or email me at [email protected].

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Any need for story-writers? I mean, not like just a basic plot, but if you want someting as in-depth as Skyward Sword's backstory or Twilight Princesses' story and characterization....

I'm a little reluctant on this, due to copyright and canon issues, I also am a control-freak who thinks "too many cooks spoil the stew." I honestly have enough problems doing two-person co-writes with people. (I have a co-writer for a major joint project who is very good, but getting ahold of her / waiting for her to get onilne is troublesome).

However, if this thing gets serious.... I do need something I could qualify as "real" writing credits and I am known for my crazy, convoluted, character-depth-y fan fiction for the Zelda franchise already.

I don't know. If anyone is familiar with my "work" and likes my style... *shrug.*

Well scripts on zc 2.5 do give a lot more freedom. I'm all up for working on an original java project. Also assuming the game is infringement free it could somewhat easily be ported to android from pure java and uploaded for free (if that kind of thing is allowed and lets not even think about going there for now).
Is this a fan game like zc or is it just a game that is extremely similar to zelda?

edit for clarification: I am a programer but not great.
This is some random thing I did in java once. Not great but it was my first project. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-v27vz3PR9jYWg5UjlHTTVPR00/edit?usp=sharing

In the mean time, Summer break :). It means to me working on my (for profit) android games (I have none yet but working on it), playing games, wasting time on twitch, maybe speedrunning games. Just downloaded ZC and am playing link's birthday upon recommendation of a streamer.

Last edited:

balloonofwar4

The Mystical Man-Fairy
Shadsie-We definitely want someone like you to help write us a story. Come up with a basic plot outline and show it on this thread tomorrow. As for getting me online, just email me at [email protected] and I should respond quickly. EDIT: Shadsie, what do you think of Dragoncat's story? Do you want to expand on it or create a whole new idea?

Fred Flinstone- THANK THE LORD! A PROGRAMMER( I hope)! We need people like you who understand how to code. To answer your question, Fred, this game would be a non-profit, Nintendo acknowledged fan game consisting of actual Zelda characters. Hopefully all of that would be enough to say it is infringement free, but I am not an expert on this.

If you just happen to be reading this and find it interesting at all, reply to this thread with suggestions or help offers. We need as many people on this project as we can get. If you need to contact me personally, email me at [email protected].

P.S.- Where is the ZD staff?!?!?! It won't be a true ZD-dedicated game if none of the staff help. Please, ZD staff, reply to this post with suggestions or help offers.

Last edited:

Shadsie

Sage of Tales
Tommorow? That's pretty short notice. I also was thinking along the lines of brainstorming some ideas back and forth first... just to see what a group wanted to do.

If I were to have complete control of the story, I'd point you to one of my fanfics and say "Make that." Probably the one with Ganondorf as protagonist because I wrote that one to be like a game. On a collborative effort, I would need more imput from the group.

The Stone of Scales thing is workable... I don't like the idea of alternate forms, though, as that sounds a bit "Altered Beast"-like, though I would be in favor of an upgradable dragon transformation if we are going for that. I'd like it to be only in certain parts of Hyrule or an alternate version of Hyrule, however, as to keep Link as our stunning swordsman most of the time and to fit the tradition set down in A Link to the Past and Twilight Princess.

I can see upgrades as being kind of like the tunics in OoT. There's a point at which Link in dragon form has to go underwater, in which case he has to gain some traditional Asian water-dragon qualities, whereas his journey into Eldin Province's volcano has him gaining the firey attributes of a Western dragon. He probably has to go through different sections of the temples here as a human, though.

I like the idea of him gaining these upgrades by doing things that are Triforce related. The "Courage of Cowards" test gives him dragon's wings as a dragon, a teleport/wind spell as a human. The "Wisdom of Fools" test gives him the water-surviving abilities (and perhaps an ice-spell in human form) and the "Power of the Weak" test gives him the fire-Western dragon abilities and Din's Fire in human form.

As for as a companion-creature.... perhaps the very Last of the Loftwings? (Said Loftwing might have belonged to a "Fletcher" in the current Link's family line). The Loftwings aided Hylians when they lived in the sky, and we don't see them in any other games on the Timeline, so perhaps they died out after Hylians lost their need for them. A wise Loftwing companion might be very old. This could take care of the Zelda tradition of Link losing his partner at the end of the game. The Last of the Loftwings dies peacefully after this one final mission to aid Hylian-kind.

Last edited:

BlitzPlum

That 3D Guy
Are you definitely settled for 2D? If so, I'd still be happy to contribute ideas towards the project. I have enough experience to know how to make a good game :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom