• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Get a Facebook?

Get a Facebook???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It doesn't matter

• Total voters
Hey links and zeldas and ZD members! Im not big on social networking sites, i feel it takes away something from the conversation, and when myspace was big all my friends had one and asked me if I had one, I'd say “no.” i'm glad I didn't have one especialy since it's a bust now. My highschool friends tell me, now, I should make Facebook. I know it could help me talk more with the girl I like. It looks promising but I hear that they're gonna change it. So, I don't know if it's worth it.

My question(s) is(are):

Do you have one? What is your experience on it? Is it fun? Is it tedious? Would you recommend it? Should I just stick with real convrsations or go for the IM?

~jstar~​

Last edited:

Austin

Austin
If you make one, just keep in mind that Facebook has absolutely no respect for your privacy. Basically anything anyone ever posts on it that pertains to you will be there forever, and it will be at Facebook's discretion who knows about it. I tried to shut mine off a few months ago but it's merely deactivated, it's technically still there. I wouldn't recommend using it unless it's absolutely necessary. If you do get into it, just keep all that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
I find no problem with Facebook. I am very careful with what I post- anything I want to complain about I definitely do not post. So my status updates are pretty uninteresting, but I use it mostly to connect. I have events that I use Facebook to advertise for, which helps. I also am able to connect with some friends more by messaging on the site.
But, of course, it's really up to you. As is said, the biggest issue is privacy. People can go back as far as they want, and many future employers will look up your social networking pages and it can influence hiring (if you're concerned about that). But, if you keep it pretty light, there shouldn't really be a problem. Unless, of course, you're not wanting to deal with the hassle, or having to read a lot of pointless status updates by your friends.

I used to be into it alot, but now it's a huge mess of crappy layout changes and status updates consisting of 'insperational' song lyrics.
My advice? Stay away.

Vanessa28

Angel of Darkness
Staff member
ZD Legend
Administrator
I use facebook for years now and never experienced troubles. I set my page on friends only but my information on private. Just one tip: Avoid those stupid applications. They always ask for permission to get to your profile etc. Just don't do it. It is so useless and there are tons of these things.

Last edited:

DisappearingMist

Mrs. Caleb
Facebook is a lot of fun, but can be a huge time suck, and the privacy changes the company keeps making make me more and more leery about continuing to use it. If you haven't gotten one yet, I probably wouldn't. Maybe get a friend to show you how it works to see if you'd be interested.

I used to have a Facebook, but I quit because it was taking over all of my free time. I say that if you actually have nothing better to do than play FB games, then don't get one. Get a Google+ instead.

Ventus

Mad haters lmao
Do you have one? What is your experience on it? Is it fun? Is it tedious? Would you recommend it? Should I just stick with real conversations or go for the IM?

Yup.
Great experiences – I can tell my friends so much more over the Internet than I could in real life; I even learned a lot about their personalities such as a friend of mine has troubles with her family. She would never tell me that in real life, I'm sure.
This one would be called great by a number of people, but we even got in trouble for a Facebook post at school! As stupid as that is (we get in trouble for something said outside of school), it was quite funny.
It is really fun if you use it correctly!
I wouldn't recommend it though. You can have good experiences, but as Austin said you have a load of security issues to deal with.

In the chain of social networking sites, Facebook is at the top.

Last edited:

sailorgirl221

What a fearsome beast!!
I'm on facebook all the time and I haven't had any problems with it at all really. Just keep it friendly and select who you want to be your "friends" carefully. Just know that if you and application in anywhere they will look up your facebook and look at everything you posted and all that jazz so you will have to keep it clean as well..
Though everyone else is pretty much right about it because the privacy on there is pretty much non exsitant.. I have no problem with it because i don't put to much of myself out there to begin with lol. I just like to communicate with friends that i don't get to see anymore.

No. Why?:Status updates & lack of privacy. Unless u wanna put all your personal information in so much your status is " About to make an omelet" (i think i spelled that wrong) dont. Its not like people should spend every minute of every second telling people what you're doing. I think the whole "status" thing is kinda stupid . Sure people will know what your interest are, but why exactly would the whole internet world want to know when your taking a piss, or making breakfast or going for a walk?

It is a useful tool.
I have a Facebook account, mostly because of the ease to have "login using facebook" in different websites, including message boards. It makes my life easier.
It really will depend on what you want to make out of it. You don't have to post status if you don't want or stop talking through IM.

If you are concerned about privacy, from the very beginning explore the settings.
- So not add "you may know" suggestions or people simply for having X amount of mutual friends, make sure you are connected with the people that matters to you.
- Use a different screen name from your real name if you don't want to make it easier for employers to find your profile.
- Make lists of contacts so you can organize with more ease who can read what status.
- Applications you accept usually you grant to post updates status for you, if you don't like it, then avoid the applications... (however many people may want you in Facebook because they want to interact with you through those game, quizzes, etc applications).

If there is someone you want to have as a friend but post too often or show stuff you don't feel comfortable, you can hide all post by the user in your main stream page while still being notified of your interactions and still able to check on their wall and stuff.

Since you cannot delete your account and feel sure, why not joining with a different email address you care little for, that way if you don't like it you deactivate it and there is no harm done. If you like it you will have by then a better idea how to use it and can decide to stick with this account or make a proper one with your main email address.

Do We All Need A Facebook?

As all of you know, it's pretty standard nowadays for practically anyone you meet to have a Facebook. The website has gone from a few hundred people, to the hundred thousands, and now somewhere in the millions. So my discussion point here is this: Is Facebook as necessary as people make it out to be. I'm the only person I know who doesn't have a Facebook. My friends constantly bug me about it, but I really don't see the big deal. What is the big deal about Facebook? Do you think everyone should have one? Is it strange for people like me to not have one? Share your thoughts!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom