• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Get a Facebook?

Get a Facebook???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It doesn't matter

• Total voters
I find it strange that so many people DO have one. I think we should start a boycott of Facebook. All it leads to (from what I have seen) is cyberbullying and lives of many teenagers that will be haunted forever for something they said or a picture they posted on this unsafe website.

Of course it's also incredibly useful for keeping in touch with people and organizing events.

TheRationalDove

Red Hair Wonder
I don't think there is anything wrong with Facebook. it just depends what you use it for. They have political power, even, as demonstrated by the Arab Spring that is quite shocking to see. But then there's the cyber bulling as well. in the end, I think it is what you make of it. I, for one, never had an interest, but zi don't think it's a festering tumor or anything.

Facebook is alright. I certainly don't think everyone needs one, but then there are probably few things that we all absolutely need in general. It's not a necessity, but I think it can be useful. In my case I have a large family and in order to keep up with goings on, Facebook was fairly useful. However, I stopped using mine almost a year ago since too many people I knew from school just enjoyed using it for drama as though it were their personal diary. So no, not everyone needs one, but it's quite easy to see how it can be both a good thing and a bad thing at the same time. As the person above me said, it depends on what you use it for. :>

Niko Bellic 817

GH3: Legends of Rock
Ehh, it's kinda pointless. I held out on getting Facebook until late last year. It was really fun at first with all the features and whatnot, but then it became less of a deal. I also feel that communication is more meaningful when not behind a screen. This really goes for anything that's online. The text that people type has no "personality" to it, no emotion (And yes, I know there's emoticons) There's really nothing interesting to do on the site since it's basically posting photos on your profile and commenting on posts. There are games on the site, but they aren't really compelling for me. Bottom line is that Facebook is a social networking site that makes the task of contacting people a whole lot easier. People have been moving along without it for many years.

Dan

no i think its just another way of turning us into mindless zombies

They said the same about TV.

No I don't think we NEED facebook after-all it's just another piece of webcode.
I do find it sad when people are constantly logged into refreshing the page every 5 minutes looking for updates only to post LOL at some dog biting it's **** or something.
We may need the internet but we don't NEED facebook, it's optional.

bkelly458

Just Some Dude
Personally, I don't think we need anything more than food, clothing and shelter. That said, there are things we darn sure don't want to live without, like a cell phone, a working car, internet, email, electricity in general, etc.

I have one, but I don't think we need it. Honestly, I only use it to chat and catch up with my friends and family anyway.

I'm in my 20's right now, so nearly everyone I know is getting in and/or out of relationships, engagements, and marriages left and right. If anything, I need to check Facebook to keep up on that front, cause I'm almost always the last one to know those things, and I have a terrible tendency to put my foot in my mouth because of it. But it's also a nice and easy way to hear when someone got a job and things like that.

Not having a Facebook or another social media account may make your social life a tad more difficult, because we just don't communicate with others like we did even 10 years ago (which is a shame, IMO). At the same time, it'll probably free up your life and give you an incentive to have close, offline relationships. It's a trade-off, really. If my field didn't basically require it, I'd seriously consider deleting it myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom