• Welcome to ZD Forums! You must create an account and log in to see and participate in the Shoutbox chat on this main index page.

Get a Facebook?

Get a Facebook???

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• It doesn't matter

• Total voters
I think it's definitely a nice thing to have, but not a necessity. I didn't have it until I met some people on vacation from other states and countries that I wanted to keep in touch with. It's nice to use to communicate with them since the international calling/texting charges are outrageous. I also use it to communicate with my local friends, too. I like using it, but I suppose I don't need one.

Purple_Rupee

They call me Ammi
I prefer getting to know newer people through common interest such as Legend of Zelda. So this site and several other friendcode/forum/blog/general gaming sites make meeting these types of people a less tedious task. Were as on Facebook the only people i'll meet commonly are those of a socialite era aka non-gamers. And the odds of me bumping into people who share a common interest with me are a lot slimmer.

Aside from gaming though, if I want to talk to my brother, sister, mother, father, grandmother etc.., im not going to find her on Facebook and post something on her "wall" as it were. I'm just going to pick up a phone and give her a call. Much more convenient, faster response, and i'll know immediately of all things happening. I don't discriminate against people who have Facebook though, I just don't personally see the use for it.

David

But you called me here...
Facebook, and other social media sites are a good way to keep in touch, and a good way to share anything and everything that you want to share. My Facebook account is used for a lot of status updates, and simply sharing the awesome things that I find on the Internet. A Facebook account is great fun. However, I like to diversify my social media experience by having several different types of accounts. I have a Twitter and a Google+ as well. I think that everyone should have at least one type of social media account so that they can just have fun and interact with others.

Rachel

be vigitant
I find it an easy way to keep in touch with other people. One feature that appeals to me is the 'People You May Know' panel on the side, which gives you a list of people with mutual friends. Facebook can help you connect with a lot of people, play games, join events, etc. It keeps you up to date on what's happening, basically.

I don't have a facebook. I hate facebook. All I ever did when I had a facebook is entertain pointless conversation with people I hate (or just people, for short) and read stupid mindless crap that would get me angry. I don't think it's necessary at all, until you get hooked. Like heroin. I think when one looks at facebook objectively they quickly realize how stupid and asinine it is. When you're in it, though, it seems pretty appealing. You know, people you've met twice posting poorly spelled anecdotes about some piece of banal minutia that you are in no way connected to; how could you ever live without that? (come to think of it, essentially all forums are pretty much that very thing, including ZD; I guess I am a hypocrite then)

I can't speak for everyone, but I dislike Facebook for everything it's worth. When I had a Facebook, all I did was update my status with pointless crap. I mean, seriously, how interesting is "today I sat down all day and watched TV"? I don't have any friends in real life to communicate with online, nor do I want any. Instead, most of my Facebook "friends" were annoying family members that I can't stand; whom I obviously didn't get along with, while others were old friends from years past who're all doing better than I am (financially, etc.). Day in and day out I'd watch as others updated their statuses with a copypasta of some quote by some wise old man, and then everyone would comment and "Like" everything they said with some stupid crap, like "omg so true that's so deep," as if the poster had thought of it themselves. Many others would just talk about some random TV show, like The Jersey Shore, break ups with their boyfriends, or some other bs. In a nutshell, I generally use the internet as an escape. This means that it's the only place I can go to avoid annoying family members and idiots that I encounter on a daily basis (in real life). I didn't like its features, I didn't like the games, I didn't like its security features, I didn't enjoy my experience there. ...nor did Facebook provide any real usage to me.

As I've stated previously, I can't speak for everyone, but I can say for certain that Facebook isn't for everyone and everyone doesn't need a Facebook. In fact, it could make your life worse.

[/rant]

Last edited by a moderator:

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
It depends on what you want to use it for. Like many people have said, it makes it easier to chat with friends, keep up with current events, and keep in touch with people you would have a difficult time keeping in touch with otherwise. Personally, the only thing I even use my facebook for is keeping up with the schedules for my after-school activities/clubs, which mainly use facebook. Otherwise, I can't stand it, or any other social networking site for that matter (Twitter, etc.). It just seems like most people that frequent sites like that are obnoxious, brainless socialites that I want nothing to do with. I much perfer forums/ imageboards/ etc. because I can meet new people who I share common interests with and for the most part aren't complete sheep.

ZeldaOcarina

Princess of Hyrule
For the general population, no, Facebook is not a requirement. It is a great luxury, and a good way to keep in touch with people you normally would not (although there is the argument about whether or not it is worth it to keep in touch).

However, for people who work in film, it is pretty necessary. A lot of our job requires networking, and Facebook is a great way to do so. There are other mediums we need to use, too. Facebook has proven, at least for me and others I work with, to be an important part of getting jobs. Of course, even we could survive without it if needed. It would just make things more difficult.

Socially it is pretty important to have one. You are more accepted (whether or not it is intended) by society. Society has made it almost necessary to keep up with the latest and most advanced technology. It is great to see that some people aren't sucked into that. For others, it may be because they enjoy it, as well. But many get new phones or the newest social media platform because society now expects everyone to have it.

This doesn't mean that everyone should have it, just that it is almost expected of everyone to have it nowadays.

I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge how important social networking CAN be. Without the quick wide scale communications capabilities of facebook, many of the revolutions comprising the Arab Spring never would've happened. So that's one thing I do think is good about facebook, although that doesn't really change my opinions that I stated earlier.

unknown

._.. .. _. _._ morse code
Don't have facebook, and I don't get the love for it either. I don't really find it that interesting. I think the forums here @ ZD are good enough for me. If I needed something like that for business later on, I would use LinkedIn. Am I isolated without facebook? Absolutely not. Am I friendless without it? No. As long as I can get news and factual research elsewhere, I don't need it. It doesn't hold dominance over my life. I spend time on a lot of things, and am happy without facebook. I wouldn't even use it. I barely ever check my phone, which I only have for "emergency purposes and if there is a mix up." It isn't really social. I can see where most people might need some form of electronic communication these days, such as email, but not an advertisement that has the like button next to it.

I would be remiss if I didn't acknowledge how important social networking CAN be. Without the quick wide scale communications capabilities of facebook, many of the revolutions comprising the Arab Spring never would've happened. So that's one thing I do think is good about facebook, although that doesn't really change my opinions that I stated earlier.

Ah. Very true. While I have made it clear in my previous post that I dislike Facebook, I do acknowledge the positive aspects of it as well. It's simply, in my case, the negatives tremendously outweigh the positives. None of said positives appeal or serve any significant purpose to me personally, though. In all honesty, I hate most (if not all) social networks, save for Skype.

Considering I live thousands of miles away from where I grew up, Facebook is a great way for me to keep in touch with all the friends and people I met growing up, without it I would have completely lost touch so it's great in that regard. Also someone mentioned networking for business...Well Facebook isn't used for that, LinkedIn is the business version of Facebook and is used for just that.

While not necessary, I find it very useful, especially for University life. It's great for keeping up with friends and keeping up to date with developments on my course. Also all party invitations etc. go through facebook now.

onidarklink2

An Hero of our Time
Updating on what I said before. Facebook itself isn't bad- like TtP said, it has helped to bring about a lot of positive societal changes, even if there are a lot of things about the site I don't like. It's the people that use the site that I can't stand; the idiots that frequent the site are the ones giving it a bad name. At its core, Facebook is actually a good concept.

guapo2003

The incomparable legend
I have one, but it's mostly to stay in contact with some friends and to occasionally play some games, but I don't use it as a blog or anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom